Thoughts on Male Elementary Teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by futureteacher13, Oct 8, 2013.

1. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Oct 8, 2013

Hello Everyone! I am wanting to become an elementary school teacher in the future. I have a BA degree in Social Science with Education Concentration from Ashford University. I'm wanting to know what your thoughts are on male elementary school teachers.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 8, 2013

I'm a male elementary classroom teacher. Parents are a little surprised at first, but I've never had any trouble. You obviously have to be more careful about any type of physical contact with female students than women do (depending on the age, girls can be huggers), but I've never had any trouble. Most parents end up being glad that I was their child's teacher because, "they've never had anything but women teachers before, and the women are always too nice on them."

I've also found out the hard way that girls develop crushes on their teachers at younger ages than boys do.

4. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Oct 8, 2013

I think it's great! The kids (especially the boys) need good male role models too!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2013

There are not enough of them.

6. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Oct 8, 2013

I agree that there needs to be more of them. My all-time favorite teacher (and the reason why I became a teacher) was my 3rd grade teacher. He was male.

There are a lot of male teachers in the elementary school I work at now. I currently work with two of them and they are my favorite people to work with. The kids adore them too :)

7. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Oct 8, 2013

LOL. In one of the classes I work in with a male teacher, one of the girls obviously has a crush on him. It's so cute.

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 8, 2013

I'm a male teacher. Yes, the minority, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

I've been told by many of my students later on that I was their favorite BECAUSE I was a male teacher. Not sure how to take that. LOL!

And like gr3teacher above, I've had the same comment.

Don't get me wrong... I know there are very strict FEMALE teachers (I work with some)...

I know for some of my students, I'm their ONLY male role model...and that's quite a responsibility that I don't take lightly. :)

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 8, 2013

I'm a male elementary teacher and have been teaching for over 20 years. I have really enjoyed it, and have always felt accepted by the female staff. There has always been at least one other male teacher on staff, so I am not completely alone.

Being a male is something that might be made a big deal of first by students, parents, and staff, but soon you are a part of the group and it is all about the choices you make.

I do think as a male teacher, I put a bit of extra pressure on myself. Many of the children have few male teachers, and many don't have fathers that they know. I want to be a good male role model for the students in a land where there aren't enough.

I have met so many good female teachers and also good male teachers that I don't believe gender plays that high on whether you'll make a good teacher or not. Your decisions as a teacher will decide that.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2013

My daughter had a male teacher last year for 4th grade. He's been in the school forever, but somehow my older 2 kids hadn't managed to have him.

He was a wonderful teacher. She learned a lot and had a good year.

Beyond that, I don't give the matter much thought, maybe because my high school faculty is probably close to evenly distributed. I don't care whether a teacher is male or female, tall, short, thin, heavy, black, white, yellow or orange, as long as my kids are treated well and learn what they need to.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2013

I totally agree.

We have 3 male teachers on our staff of close to 50--grade 3, grade 5 and Phys Ed. I'm glad that our two administrators are male to give more of a male presence in our building.

12. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Oct 9, 2013

Funny story....I had a male teacher for the first time in sixth grade. He was young and cute. For some reason I was embarrassed to ask to go to the restroom. I didn't want him to know I ever had to pee! Why? I don't know. I do know that was a long year!!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2013

I agree that there aren't enough of them. When I was doing my observation hours, there was a male student teacher in a kinder classroom. I knew he was going to go on to become a great teacher and he has. In my daughter's school (PK-5th), there is only one male teacher (4th).

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2013

:lol:

15. readingrules12

Oct 9, 2013

:agreed:

16. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Oct 11, 2013

If you are a male elementary teacher in an inner city school, you are quite possibly the only positive male roll model in your student's lives. This is an awesome responsibility, but that's what can make the job so rewarding.

Be prepared to be called Dad:love:

17. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 11, 2013

If you ask teachers, of course we support male elementary school teachers, we want to see more of them, etc.

I have personally encountered a degree of suspicion about male elementary school teachers among some parents I've spoken with. Just a few months ago, I was having a conversation with a colleague at a conference and the topic of male kindergarten teachers came up. One of the women at the conference asked, "Why would a man want to be a kindergarten teacher? It's just..." And then she kind of raised her eyebrows and made a face. If you fill in the gaps, it wasn't hard to see that she was imagining a pedophile teaching in this completely hypothetical classroom.

I was, of course, offended by her reaction, but it tells me that that sentiment is out there, even if it's not often expressed.

18. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 11, 2013

That saddens me, of course.

Unfortunately, statistics show that the majority of pedophiles are male, so we have that media-enriched stigma we face.

Of course, I make it a point to NEVER be alone with a student and if I am, then all my blinds are open as well as my classroom door (which is miserable when the wintry rains hit. :) )

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2013

When my son was in kindergarten, there was a male substitute teacher one day. Three mothers took their children home because they were not going to leave them at school "with a strange man". I was mortified, furious and disgusted.

20. Mrs Teacher

Mrs Teacher Rookie

Oct 11, 2013

They're certainly a minority. In my school of 19 classroom teachers + 8 sped/ell/etc teachers there are 4. The kids love them all though. It provides a great opportunity for positive male role models. More men should look into it!

21. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 11, 2013

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I hate that mindset.

22. readingrules12

Oct 11, 2013

This is really sad that someone is that close minded that they can't see that decent men might want to work and help Kindergarten children.

I teach a class on preventing child abuse, and the statistics show that while child abuse can happen at any age, it is most common between the ages of 12 and 16. Seems strange that this lady would feel a male Kindergarten teacher is any more likely to be a pedophile than any other grade teacher. Less than 4% of men who work with children are pedophiles.

23. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Oct 12, 2013

That happened while I was student teaching. I student taught in K and during the K carnival (parents were present) one of the paras was out and a male was subbing for her. All these mothers were freaking out about a "strange man" being outside on the playground with the kids, even though he clearly had his ID badge on his shirt and my CT and the other K teacher repeatedly were telling the mothers who he was and why he was there. Awful mindset. Males can love children and want to help them too. And women can also be abusers. :dizzy:

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

:eek: :unsure:

25. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 12, 2013

My opinion? They're crazy. The whole lot of 'em!

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 12, 2013

I don't think that bigots look at the facts. They just "know" what they think is right, regardless of whether or not it bears any relation to the facts.

Strange, though, that people aren't as suspicious about male pediatricians or dentists.

27. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

No, they aren't because parents are with their children for the entire visit. So, even if a parent knows in the back of his or her mind that any pediatrician or dentist could be a pedophile, they aren't going to worry about it as much unless the doctor starts sending them out of the room while the pediatrician or dentist is alone with their child.

Parents are not supervising their children the entire day in school.

I also hate to say it, but it is a lot easier to become a teacher than a doctor or a dentist. I'd be more concerned about a child psychologist who wants to be alone with the child so they can get answers without parental interference than a pediatrician that will always have a parent at the child's side.

Different jobs give different access. I couldn't imagine that many pedophiles would be educated for 8+ years in rigorous programs to be in a situation where their target is always with a parent.

28. Ted

Ted Habitué

Oct 12, 2013

I respectfully disagree. As a boy, there were many times I was alone with my dentist. My mom would wait in the waiting room. She didn't stand by the dentist's chair while he worked on my mouth.

Now, granted... with nurses walking in and out, it would be more difficult for a male dentist to do anything unscrupulous.

This is why I think it's so important to educate our kids on "good touching" and "uncomfortable touching". Yes, it may not always sink in, or maybe younger kids won't be able to discern, but it's better than not educating our kids at all.

29. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2013

Question is, when were you a boy? 12 years ago? 30 years ago? That makes a big difference. 20-30 years ago most people never thought of a teacher being a pedophile. This information wasn't leaking out to the general public. With the increased knowledge of pedophiles, more parents are being much more careful.

My dentist as a child had individual rooms that had doors that shut. It was commonplace then for a child to go back alone and be alone in the room with a dentist. In the past 15 years or so, I haven't been to one dentist office that is designed like that, and I've seen quite a few. Everyone I have seen has been open rooms with dental stations.

30. readingrules12

Oct 12, 2013

True, that is the good news that professions are doing more to have environments that better protect children from possible pedophiles. I know schools have even changed since I started. When I started teaching, my classroom had no windows. Windows were installed in all classrooms at that school, and I know the school I am at installed large windows next to each classroom door. The P's office is surrounded by windows. Good to be protectful...bad to be ignorant such as those K mom's that the OP spoke of.