Thoughts on colored highlights?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Oct 3, 2015.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2015

Are they too juvenile? Or too pintresty? Or totally sweet? Or somewhere in between?

I have a hair appointment next weekend for a cut and highlights, it's taking all the will power I can muster to not chop off all my hair. I need a change, bad, but I'm sort of loving my long hair right now so a big chop is not what I'm looking for. But I need a change. And I thought a few bright colors in my highlights would be awesome. Having unnatural colored hair would not be an issue in my school. I still need to OK it with the esposo, but he's usually cool with my decisions.

I have blonde hair and I was thinking a few purple highlights. A more pinky/soft purple. Maybe Kelly Osbourne color?

Something along these lines--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figure life's too short to not dye your hair purple. :rolleyes:

(If it doesn't work out I might need to get a new piercing... :p )

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2015

Go for it--I have some purple highlights and I'm MUCH older than you are! I need to go in this week and I'm thinking of asking my stylist to "hide" one bright blue streak (to support our Toronto Blue Jays in the playoffs). Have fun with it!

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 3, 2015

I think it would be cute... but I have bright purple hair (all over) so I'm a bit biased :p

It might depend on your school's environment, though. Mine was surprisingly fine with purple, but stated that they would not have been ok with blue or pink. ???

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2015

How about an ombré coloring with more natural tints? Lowlights?

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 3, 2015

I've had chunky royal blue and purple highlights. I loved them. I've got nearly black hair, so the color was subtle.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2015

I had purple in my hair about 5-6 years ago. I actually have a picture, which I am attaching. It was pretty subtle at first since my hair is so dark, but purple fades very quickly. It turned into light purple, and then blonde. (She had to bleach it first.)
    Also, you may want to get an old pillowcase out if you go through with it. I ruined my pillowcase. I was warned in advance, but I forgot and woke up with a purple pillow the next morning.
    [​IMG]

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2015

Thanks for the input everyone!! I'm not too interested in trying a natural color, been there done that. And I did think about the purple fading, but since my hair is already blonde it'll kind of fit right in!

I think I'm going to go for it. I'll post a picture if I remember :)

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2015

I usually get mine cut before cold weather sets in & donate it!!! I like cutting it every few years. I have never colored my hair though.

Purple would be fun for October....

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2015

I've donated my hair a few times. The most recent time I got it cut pixie-length I donated it. The length I have now is what I've been growing from said pixie cut for the past three years. I just love short haircuts which is why I always crave one when I go to a stylist, but I find shorter hair is WAAAYYY more high maintenance. If it's pixie length you have to get it cut every few weeks to keep up the look, if it's chin length you have to straighten or blow dry it, when it's long- I brush it and throw it in a braid. I'm finally at a point where I'm actually doing styles with my hair, so I'm enjoying the length. I think I'll keep it like this for another year or so and then cut it all off again!!! Because I never learn :rolleyes:

11. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 4, 2015

That's super cute, however, in my experience, purple fades super quickly and then turns a light brown :(

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2015

I haven't had super short since I was a kid. When I do cut & donate usually sits on my shoulders. I don't have to do to much fussing with mine... It is straight a a plank! Once in awhile I will run a straightner through it. My cousin who cuts my hair says the people who you donate to are so lucky...your hair is healthy & nothing really done to it. I mean the late 80s & 90s perms & hairspray... But not much in about 20 yrs.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 4, 2015

I have a consultation with my stylist to talk about taking my currently red hair back to its natural white. When this happens, I'll probably start throwing in lots of temporary striping to keep it interesting. Rockhubby and I were joking about making the colors seasonal to go with corresponding holidays.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 4, 2015

Sure, go for it!

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 4, 2015

I have a good friend who always gets crazy colors. She always talks about how quickly they fade. She pays a lot of money to get her hair done and then the color has faded within weeks, even though she only washes her hair twice a week to try to counteract that (I could never get away with washing my hair twice a week!) I could just never justify the price for something that's going to be gone so quickly.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2015

I've read you can do temporary colored streaks using kool aid mixed with hair conditioner.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2015

It lasts longer if you wash it in cold water.

18. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 4, 2015

I use Jerome Russell's Punky Color and it doesn't fade much at all.

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2015

This definitely works, I did this when I was in middle school. Concentrated jello or kool aid can dye your hair if it's already light colored.

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2015

I remember my friends doing this is school!! LOL!!!

I called my cousin...getting mine cut to donate!!!

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2015

Can't wait to see this!!

I wish I could do something like this because I would love to get blue lowlights in my hair, but my district would not go for that at all!

22. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2015

Today my male coworker came in with his hair dyed pink. I'm glad my school is cool about it!

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 5, 2015

Do it! I think it would look cute! My principal just got purple highlights! I love them.

I've actually never dyed my own hair - can't be bothered with the upkeep and I like my natural hair color - but I do think what you're doing would look cute!

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 5, 2015

Mine either. I had some blue streaks in the summer. I didn't have them long, but it was a fun change.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2015

My hairdresser suggested I do something for the summer. I might just do it this next summer!

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2015

It's "Blue Jays" Spirit Day at school on Friday; with my hair appointment on Thursday after school, it may be the perfect time for that one bright blue bit!

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2015

Just had about 12 inches cut off to donate!!!!

28. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Oct 7, 2015

I feel like it depends on the person. I know two people who've done it recently, both around 40. One one it seems very much in keeping with her quirky style. On the other, it seems like a grab for attention and an attempt to look "cool" in the eyes of her students.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2015

The first thing I asked my stylist before she put the purple in was whether or not I was too old. I trust her implicitly (and she's quite young) and know she would tell me the truth.

30. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2015

Got my hair purple! I really love it! Just enough to be purple, but not in-your-face either. I wanted a lighter color but it'll fade so it's probably best to start out with a little darker. Also because my hair was so blonde to begin with the lady didn't even have to bleach it. Hooray!

[​IMG]

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2015

Looks cute.

32. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 11, 2015

Super cute!

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2015