Thoughts on Bathroom Pass Idea

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by paperheart, Jun 22, 2007.

1. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 22, 2007

I had this idea and wanted to hear your thoughts or similar ideas.

Students at my school are supposed to use the bathroom no more than 3 times per period per 6 weeks. We had a school-wide system for keeping track last year but it didn't really work out well IMO.

I was thinking I would laminate a long strip of paper that is printed with 25 sections. Each section would have "1" "2" "3" printed on it. I'd write the name of a student on each section. Each time a student goes to the restroom I'd just hole punch one of the numbers. After 3 hole punches they'd know they couldn't go anymore. The strip would hang on the wall. I'd have one strip for each of my 4 classes.

{In addition, all students in our school need to sign in and out when they leave the classroom so administrators can solve problems that occur in the hallway.}

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

That sounds like alot of work for you to do. Why don't you handout 3 bathroom passes, that say " 'Paperheart's' bathroom pass for 1st 6 weeks" with a graphic of sorts on it on color paper. When the student runs out, they know they can't go anymore. If they lose them, tough luck. Then, for the next six weeks, change the graphic and color paper so they don't use the old pass again.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2007

Or, once a week, go through your sign out book and use it to keep track? That way, you're the one keeping track.

But what's the administrative stance on a kid who has to go a 4th time?

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 22, 2007

I actually don't see any extra work involved. I just run a photocopied strip of paper through the laminating machine and write each child's name down with a sharpie. In reality, I'll just direct the kids to punch their own hole in their card.

I need a system that is maintenance-free so going through the sign-out book won't work for me because I know I won't do it.

thanks for your input. keep it coming.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 22, 2007

I only wonder if the students will be horrified that other people know how many times they went to pee. But then again, that may be to your advantage. Hehe.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 22, 2007

4th-time trips are discretionary for the teacher. I don't have a major issue with the bathroom trips going beyond 3 but I noticed towards the end of the year a lot of my students were asking to go every day and, at our school, lots of fights and other problems happen in the hallway so we need to keep the kids in the classroom as much as possible. I want a fair system or else I'll be letting some go more than others and don't want to show favortism.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

Your bathroom strip doesn't sound like a bad idea or too much work, but I wonder what would happen if it got lost or destroyed somehow.

What if you made the same form, but kept it at your desk and tracked it yourself? Kids could still take a look at it to see how many trips they had left. You could hand out regular corridor passes (if your school uses those) or make your own laminated generic bathroom pass.

9. aceighthgrade

aceighthgrade Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

What I am going to do this school year is to give every student a pass, in which they will keep in their notebook. The pass will give the student an opportunity to use the bathroom if it is an extreme emergency (we have built in bathroom times in our schedule). These passes will be worth 5 bonus points if they don't use the passes. If they do use them, the first bathroom use will cost them 2bonus points, the second bathroom will also cost them 2 bonus points, then the third time, all points will be gone. They will turn the passes in as soon as they use up all emergency privileges or at the end of the semester (if they didn't use all privileges).

10. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

I may seem mean, but I have a simple solution- NO BATHROOM PASSES! The only time you can leave my class is to go the nurse for a "code 13" or your arm is cut off! They have plenty of time to use the restroom in a day-before/after school, before/after PE, during passing periods, lunch, etc. No excuses! They are not in elementary anymore, it's time to learn to control their bladders and to be responsible for taking time out of their precious social life to go to the bathroom at appropriate times. Unless they have a written doctor's note, that is my policy. Teachers don't get half of the bathroom opportunities they get, but we manage.

11. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 25, 2007

Terrence I like your idea! I was a softee and let my students use the restroom during class. However, the school had a built in system for restroom use. They had a "hall pass" in the student planners. I used that and told the students they could only go twice a week. If they went more than that they had to stay the time they were gone after class. The problem here is that students "lose" their planners. I'm thinking of either banning restroom visits all together or going to the ticket method.

At my school there's only 2 student restrooms. One in the gym and one in the middle of school. With 1600+ middle schoolers, that's a lot of people trying to use the restroom in 6 minutes.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2007

I'd love to institute a No Passes policy, but I'm not sure that it would work for me. Here's the situation:

1. We are on a block schedule, so each period is at least 85 minutes.
    2. Student have only 5 minutes for passing time between blocks, and we have a very large school. I seriously couldn't walk from the gym or music area to my classroom in fewer than 4 minutes, and 1 minute just isn't enough to use the bathroom when there are 6 or 7 stalls in the student bathrooms and about 30 kids waiting to use them.
    3. While kids can obviously use the bathroom during lunch, it's basically a choice between eating or using the bathroom. There are at least 1,000 kids in line for food during a 30-min lunch period (including passing time). I've seen some kids get to the front of the line as the bell for the start of class is ringing.
    4. I don't think I can legally deny bathroom passes to a student except in the case of repeated inappropriate behavior in the hallway and with lots of documentation and notice to parents.
    5. If I tell kids that passes are for emergencies only, then every time becomes an emergency.

13. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jun 25, 2007

My principal would never go for not letting them go.

I give them a page of 9 tickets. The tickets are good for a quarter. That's one pass per week on average. They fill it out, hold it up, I give them a nod and they go. There is a place for them to put it when they come back in the room. At the end of the quarter, they turn in unused passes for points. A whole sheet is worth more points.

When they are out, they're are.

14. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Luckily, my principal is behind the no bathroom pass during class idea. In fact, she's the person I got the idea from. When students were graffitiing inside the bathrooms, she even closed down the bathrooms during class and only had coaches unlock and patrol the bathrooms during passing periods.

15. hapyeaster

hapyeaster Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

I did the laminated strips, and it lasted the first six weeks. I kept it at my desk, and hole punched each time they went...actually it ended up being a circle with a Sharpie. It was just too hard to keep up with.

So, then I tried bathroom passes. I gave them 4 that they could use during the six weeks. If they did not use them, they could get up to 4 points added to their final average for that grading period. That worked "ok", but I ended up having to keep a log on the computer and track it weekly. Once again, more work for me.

Then, I went to NO BATHROOM PASSES. Hum, surprise! I had much fewer kids needing to go all the time, but then, it got difficult to dicern who "really" did need to go. I just did not like making judgement calls in the heat of the moment...mainly girls needing to go for hygiene reasons.

So, this year, I am going to start off with a new plan. I will allow you to use the restroom, but under MY guidelines.

You may ask to use the restroom when we are in group work or independent work time. You will not be able to enter the room and ask to use the restroom immediately. Many of them try to do that, and get the pass so they can visit during the next passing period (our 7th and 8th graders pass on staggered bells...it is GREAT!)

We start class with AR time, and they will not be allowed to use the restroom during this time. They will not be able to use the restroom when I am teaching, or students are presenting.

So, when independent work time or group work time arrives, they will do the following:

1. Check the Bathroom Board (small dry erase just beside the door)

2. If no name is there, they write their name, fill out the pass with time left, take the pass and leave quietly. NO asking, NO begging, NO interrupting me AT ALL.

3. When they return, they fill out the time they came back, put the pass back on the wall, erase their name and sit down. I will have a small stick up digital clock right on the dry erase board, so they won't even have to say, "Mrs. E...what time is it?"

4. Then, other students may follow one at a time and first come, first served. If class ends and you did not get to use the restroom, then so sorry. Go before your next class or hope your next teacher has mercy on you.

This will cut down on unwanted dialogue between me and the students. I will hear less whines and complaints. They will know the routine, and abide by it. And, I will always know who is out of my room.

We will rehearse this!

Hope it works!

16. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

I actually didn't have a big problem with whining and complaining. They knew I very rarely cracked on the matter, so they didn't try. I had one girl threaten to just walk out of the class. I told her if she did that then she'll be considered truant which will result in a ticket. I had very few girls come up and ask me for a "code 13". I guess since I'm a guy, it's a bit more difficult to come up to me about that problem lol. But, that's what the nurse is for. They have to go to the nurse and bring back a pass signed by the nurse, so they can't go anywhere else.

17. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jun 28, 2007

I give 2 passes per 9 weeks (they staple them into their notes folder) Unused passes = bonus points. I've always had the problem with the kids who used their passes and then have an "emergency". This year our school is moving to lunch detentions (instead of afterschool) and we can request bag lunches for the kids staying in our rooms. I will just say if they use more than 2 passes they get to come to the next lunch detention. It should sway all but a few from having "emergencies" after they've used all their passes. I do want to "steal" the idea of not letting them only go to silent work or group work time.

18. daisy8869

daisy8869 Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

I'm planning on giving three passes per nine weeks. I like Carrie's idea of lunch dentention for "emergency" cases. Our class periods are only 45 minutes long so they should be able to hold their "emergencies" until the bell rings. Also, my students will only be able to use their passes during group work or when they are doing quiet work.

19. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I give 6 passes per 9 weeks. I have 7th graders, and I've been told my other teachers this is a safe amount. Plus, I have them for 95 mins. every day.

I carry around a clipboard that has all of my imp. stuff on it. I printed out spreadsheet rosters for each of my classes on hot pink paper. That's what I use for my BR pass checklist. The spreadsheet has squares, and I draw a black line with a Sharpie after 6 squares. When the student uses the BR, I right in the date (3-13). After they use 6 passes, they must serve 3 consecutive detentions for me. This has only happened a few times in a year.

Students can use the BR in the time while changing classes, but they must be seated for the bell. If not, I write them up. If they don't think they can make it back before the bell, they are to fill out their planners and use a BR pass. If they aren't sure, this is a precaution, but I don't count it as one if they are seated before the bell.

I give them 2 extra bonus points on their exam grade for each unused pass. This seems to work well!

20. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

Maybe I'll just use a checklist instead of my original idea. I have several other checklists (behavior, tardy, attendance) that I'll have on the clipboard anyways. I think I'll use 4 clipboards this year--one for each class. I'll incorporate them into my color-coding and it should work nicely. Thanks for your suggestions!

21. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

This is an issue that I have really struggled with in my last school. I basically had a "no potty" rule period because it was a very small school, plenty of pass time, no excuse for not going between classes. Of course, there was the occasional girl who needed to go for obvious reasons, but basically the rule was "no." Unfortunately, the super. (never the princ. -- she was all about enforcing rules, but always got overruled), said there was a no passes policy but rarely enforced it. If a kid (or parent, which was much worse) went to her and complained with some fabricated story, you'd better watch out. So, it was a rule, but not enforceable.

Now I will be at a new school that appears to have admin that actually play by the rules. Since I haven't met the rest of the crew yet, I don't know what the "norms" are but will set in motion some type of variation of ideas posted here depending on what the others allow. I still don't like them leaving class (it's only about 48+/- mins), so there's no reason for them to leave except in an emergency. At the 7/8 grade lever, they oughta be able to hold it for that long, you would think.

A variation on this theme is drinks/snacks in class. I have always said "no" as I don't like the idea of (and having drinks/food in class has happened when I was "overruled") stuff being spilled on materials, floor, desks, etc., as well as the trash, going to the trash can, crunching of wrappers, sharing, yuck. Very disruptive. I dunno, I'm "old school" literally and we were never allowed to have any food or drink in the classroom. In fact, you got a drink from the fountain between classes. If you got thirsty, tough. Same with bathrroom. I really don't know why everything has to be so lax now. The implementation and enforcement of rules never hurt us "oldsters."

22. NCLBNUT

NCLBNUT Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

Anything so the pass doesn't have to be micromanaged by the teacher. Some schools have easy systems and there seems to be no problem. Other schools are very difficult - especially those requiring the teacher to sign a planner for each kid. The students do not like micromanagement of the hall pass system.

23. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

You know, regulating the number of times you ALLOW a person to use the bathroom...whether you trust them or not...is really just opening up a potential issue you MAY not want to encounter.
    Until you have had to be in a meeting with higher-ups to explain why you denied a person the right to use the washroom, well....
    I have not been in that situation but I've been on the planet long enough to know that lil Johnny might be flunking every subject and mom and dad may not give a hoot...but deny him the right to use a toilet, and they'll possibly see you in court. Just not worth my career! Let them use the bathroom. It's one of those things we just had to do.

24. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I hand out a business size card with four slots on them for my initials. They can use them or not. If they don't have them then they don't get to go to the bathroom...period! If they don't use there passes by the end of the semester they can get 5 points per slot they didn't use for extra credit.

I get the business cards for http://www.vistaprint.com ....they are free!

25. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

Our administration requires us to limit bathroom use because it is a safety issue at our school. Too many students are wandering the halls, fights occur, interpersonal/gang issues escalate. Some students spend time every class period, every day in the restroom if we let them.

We actually have to sign the planners which was a huge pain, so I was going to do my new method instead of the planners. I am sure my administration would be fine with it as long as it works.

re: food and drinks. I would let them drink water in my room if they could, but they are not allowed to (vodka in the bottles...) I do let them eat food so long as they clean up and are quiet about it. This is because I must eat frequent meals for medical reasons and I feel more comfortable doing so if they can as well. I don't want to be eating food in front of hungry students. Other than the food issue, I totally agree that kids have less rules to follow than we did and it is not a good thing.

26. WindyCityGal606

Jul 27, 2007

A person's use of the toilet should not be tied to their grade. How could you possibly justify that to a parent whose child did not receive extra points because they used all their "allotted" toilet time?
    Of course we have to use our good common sense and not let children wander to the bathroom whenever they please. There is a way to manage them without denying them. It is something we all learn how to do in time. What works for one may not work for others. The excessive bathroom kids will really be fewer is you don't make a big deal of it.
    I know we all have to do what works for us but, again, we have to make sure that grades are earned for mastery of content and not any other reason.

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2007

I agree completely!

28. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

I don't really think its is fair or worth judging other people's reasonings for what they do with their bathroom system. Sometimes ignoring the problem works and other times it doesn't. Who's to say what works best for another person? We are all professionals here and are making decisions for the best of our students and the structure of our classrooms.

I don't see much harm in limiting bathroom accessibility. Beyond the safety issue, there are many, many things we limit in the school setting. If we didn't set some parameters, we'd have children eating lunch in the cafeteria when they feel hungry, arriving at school when their biological clock tells them they are awake, and speaking when their brain tells them they have an idea they want to share. That's the way I see it.

29. WindyCityGal606

Jul 27, 2007

You misread. Common sense dictates we must set limits and we do. Offering opportunities to boost grades by not using the bathroom isn't the best way to go. I disagree. No amount of reasoning can make me think differently about that. As professionals, we must not jeopordize our careers. And this is a forum, which means we discuss things. It doesn't mean we just agree with everyone. That is not what a discussion is. We bounce ideas off of each other and we become better. Disagreeing is not judging. It's simply disagreeing. It is fair to disagree with something that is said. Just as you disagree with me. It's ok.:)

30. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 28, 2007

We use the 'sign the school agenda book' method as a hall pass. There is a specific page that has columns for date, time, destination, and teacher initials. They fill it out and I just initial. It's not great, but it seems to work okay. It's easy to look at that page and see who is leaving the classroom too much. However, we are also told that we can not tell a student that he or she can not go to the restroom, so I'm not sure that it matters. I like the bonus points idea. I think I will stamp each agenda book at the end of each quarter. Those who have 3 or fewer entries will get bonus points or some type of reward, coupon, etc.