Those with undergrad NOT in education...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by inspireNteach, Jul 14, 2013.

1. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 14, 2013

Did you find it difficult to find your first teaching job?

How did you go about obtaining your certification (MAT or non-degree cert. program)?

Did you student teach? Did you find yourself at a sort of disadvantage because you hadn't been in a classroom before?

And, finally, if you had it to do all over again, would you go the same route?

TIA! :)

3. TinyTeacher

TinyTeacher Rookie

Jul 14, 2013

My bachelors degree is in fashion merchandising. I graduated with my MAT this May and I'm having a hard time finding a job. I'm certified EC-6,esl,and 4-8 ELAR. I did do student teaching in 5th and 1st grade. Honestly had I had foresight I would have gotten an education related bachelors.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2013

See my answers to your questions below....

Did you find it difficult to find your first teaching job? Nope. I only interviewed with three schools before landing my first job. I was offered my job during spring break of student teaching, well before the next school year began.

How did you go about obtaining your certification (MAT or non-degree cert. program)? M.Ed. program for initial teacher certification - dual cert in elementary and sped

Did you student teach? Did you find yourself at a sort of disadvantage because you hadn't been in a classroom before? I did student teach. Eight weeks in regular ed. and eight weeks in sped. I had a lot of field experience built into my coursework, so student teaching was not my first time in the classroom. I imagine this is similar to how bachelor's programs are set up, too. I think it's pretty rare that student teaching is one's first experience in a classroom.

And, finally, if you had it to do all over again, would you go the same route? If you mean becoming a teacher and earning my master's degree and certs the way that I did, then yes. :) Although, if I really had it all to do over again, I probably wouldn't have wasted my money on that bachelor's degree that I got since it had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with education. Also, I'm not sure the program I went through was the best out there, looking back, but I wouldn't know that until I went through it and became a teacher. So, I guess that makes that part a moot point.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2013

My undergrad degree was in business/marketing. I worked in customer service/ sales for a few yars before having my kids. Then as a classroom volunteer, I realized where I really wanted to be was in the classroom, not the boardroom.
    I went back to school and got my Masters degree in early childhood Ed. I student taught as part of that program. No disadvantage...maybe because I was so involved in my kds' schools as a parent volunteer. Never had a problem getting a job.
    Do it again? Sure. I try not to have too many regrets in life...I love where I've ended up.:love:

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2013

Here you go!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2013

My undergrad degree is in my content area. I moved directly into a masters program--also in my content area but with an added chunk of secondary education stuff, including student teaching.

8. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jul 14, 2013

Yes. I lost track of how many districts and schools I applied to my first year. Finally my first job came as a mid year replacement for a teacher who quit after the first 6 weeks.

How did you go about obtaining your certification (MAT or non-degree cert. program)?

I went through Texas Teachers an alternative certification program

Did you student teach? Did you find yourself at a sort of disadvantage because you hadn't been in a classroom before?

I did not student teach, but I was a substitute teacher for 3 years. Two of those years are while I was finishing my Bachelors degree in Liberal Studies. It was after my first year of subbing that I realized teaching is where I needed to be full time. So instead of changing my major and having to start all over again, I decided to finish and then seek alternative certification.

I think the only thing I would have done differently is saved up enough money that way a could have done the 12 week intensive teaching where I would have been student teaching under another teacher and would have had my certificate at the end. The way I did it was I have to teach one full year on a probationary certificate and upon recommendation of my principal and adviser I can receive my full standard license in November.

9. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jul 14, 2013

My BA is in English, but I also had an MA in English before I started teaching English in colleges.

1) I was afraid it would be difficult to find a job, but luckily, it wasn't (had three interviews and I got the one I wanted most)

2) I got an MAT after 6 years of college teaching experience

3) Yes, as part of the MAT, I had to do student-teaching (same exact student-teaching as undergrads). The only issues I had during student-teaching had to do with a not-so-great host teacher, ha ha, and ridiculous pre-requisite English classes that I had not only TAKEN at other colleges when in undergrad and grad school, but I had also TAUGHT. Ugh. So annoying.

4) Would I do all that again? Go through the BA, MA, and then, like a freak, decide to teach public school? Would I start the teaching career at over 40? Heck, yes! It was a long road but one I'm very happy I took. I know so much more than I would have (about content, what NOT to do teaching-wise, and jumping through hoops) going the usual route.

Great questions, Caesar. Thanks. I hope most others have no regrets.

10. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 14, 2013

It was harder to get a teaching position than it was to get any other job I've ever had, but considering the market, it wasn't TOO tough. I went on 5 interviews before landing my position.

I am going through an alternative certification program.

No, I did not student teach. My alternative certification program DOES offer the option...but I decided against. I didn't student teach, but I did do about 40 hours of classroom observations. I think that really helped. About 50% of the teachers I observed with were also alt certs.

YES! I love the diversity of what having studied something other than education brings to the classroom.

11. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jul 14, 2013

Ooops. Great questions, inspireNteach. I credited the wrong person.

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 14, 2013

My BA was in marketing/PR. I knew when I became a SAHM that when I went back to work, I didn't want to go back to that. So when my kiddies were in preschool, I went through a post -bacc program. Yes, I had to student teach. I also subbed before that so I was comfortable in the classroom.

It was somewhat difficult to find a job, but no more so than it probably is for everyone else looking for a teaching position in my area.

The only thing I would change is I should definitely gone into the dual certification program to begin with, rather than doing elementary ed and then having to go back and get my SPED cert a year later.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 14, 2013

My undergrad major was in Linguistics.

No, I really don't think it made a difference. I think all they cared about that I had my credential and that I was ELL certified. I applied to 4 jobs, went on 2 interviews ans got 1 job offer.

Teaching credential with Masters at the same time.

Did you student teach?
    Yes, as part of the credential program, everyone has to (In California at the least)

Did you find yourself at a sort of disadvantage because you hadn't been in a classroom before?
    No. I actually was in a classroom, student teaching for 1 semester and subbed for a year and a half. That seemed to have been enough.

Sure, why not? :)

14. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 14, 2013

I got my B.A. History in 2007. In August 2011, I started a graduate certificate in Teaching program through a state university in Middle Grades Social Studies.

I student taught in fall 2012 (August-December) and had two job offers before I finished my internship. I also added additional certification through the praxis exam, and am certified in Middle Grades Science, Middle Grades Mathematics, Elementary, Secondary Social Studies, and Secondary Science.

I immediately transitioned from the grad certificate to the MA Teaching in January this year which is also when the job offer I accepted began. My anticipated graduation date is next May.

IMO, not getting a B.S. Education has not hindered me in any way, shape or fashion. I've never even been asked about it in interviews or anything. I would probably save myself the time and money, in hindsight, and pursued a B.S. Education as an undergrad. But at the end of the day, it hasn't impacted my job prospects so I guess it doesn't matter.

I think the only people who don't student teach are lateral entry teachers. Any degree-prepared teacher, as far as I know, does an internship.

15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 15, 2013

16. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

The first year was difficult but I think the first year is the worst.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 15, 2013

Those with undergrad NOT in education...
    It took me a few years, but that was due more to the job market than anything else, plus it took me time to move my certificate from Pennsylvania to Ohio.
    I researched schools that allowed me to complete my certification (I had dropped from the program in college) and enrolled at one near my home. My classes were in the evening and a mix of undergrad and graduate students, and my student teaching was traditional despite my being 33.
    As I said before, I did student teach. Both of my parents are retired teachers, so I was pretty aware of how to run a classroom. However, I learned more of classroom management when I subbed than when I student taught.
    I would probably stay in my education program as an undergrad, but I appreciate the decade of private sector experience I've had that makes my teaching a little more practical.

18. teachertasha

teachertasha Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

Yes and no. I kind of looked for the first two years after graduating with my MAT, but I was more focused on staying home with my newborns (2 in 2 years!). When I started looking I was hired on the spot at a job fair for an out of state job.

MAT

I student taught for a year in first and fourth grades.

Probably. If anything I would have waited a few more years to start a family so I could focus on being a new teacher without the added stress of being a new mom.

19. mairak

mairak Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

Hello

I am currently doing certification and waiting to take my TEXES exam. I have no experience in teaching. Can you guide me with some things. I am from TX and I am thinking of quiting my job and getting into substitute but I have not yet heard back from fortbend ISD. do you think that's a better idea? or if I want to do student teaching is that possible? how do I do that?

Please please reply.

20. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 22, 2013

My BA is in sociology, but I had undergrad experience in PR. Moved to a new city (same state), realized I wanted to be a teacher rather than the PR stuff. My major coursework had a focus on education, families and communication anyway.

I am still looking, and it has been very stressful/discouraging.

I went through a post-baccalaureate teaching certification program at a university in the city I moved to. It was 2 years and I was in a cohort with some other post-bacs as well as those finishing their degree in education.

I did student teach. I was also fortunate because in my education program, you are in a classroom for 3 semesters (1 day, 1 1/2 days and 2 full non-consecutive weeks, 2 full days with 2 consecutive weeks) building up to student teaching your 4th semester. I also had been coaching for 5 years prior, so I was familiar with management (can't get more experience than high school girls on the dance team!) as well as parent communication.

Honestly, I would have worked harder and tried for my undergraduate in education. Only reason I didn't was because after 5 years (I transferred), I wanted to be done with my Bachelors. Joke's on me because I ended up in school for 2 more! I also toyed with doing high school so I could teach social sciences (sociology, history, psychology), but went 1-8 instead.

However, I believe everything happens for a reason, so maybe I would do it all over again this way:)

21. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 22, 2013

I began high school teaching thirteen years ago. I had an M.A. in my academic subject, plus most of a Ph.D and some college teaching experience, but no teaching certificate.

At the time it was pretty easy to get a job with a temporary certificate because I teach a rare, hard to staff subject. I took my Ed classes, Praxis, and got properly certified within a couple of years.

These days, it is a lot harder.

22. MissVXT

MissVXT Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

Hi :). SO sorry that I am just now seeing & responding to you. I'll send you a pm with my :2cents: