Those with no job still...what do you think?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by USCgrad, Sep 13, 2008.

1. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 13, 2008

is the reason?

i have a masters in elem ed and interdisciplinary undergrad...i went to UOP and fear that my having gone to UOP online is the reason I am getting love from schools!

what do you suppose might be holding you back?

what are your thoughts of my thinking????

what can i do to improve myself for future opportunities?!?

3. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 13, 2008

Well seeing as how I've only had 2 interviews (those only being preliminary interviews) I think there are just way too many applicants and not enough positions. Or maybe just too many applicants that I'm not even getting looked at. OR perhaps it's my lack of experience because this would be my first year.

I don't know. Whatever the reason, I just want to do what I've gone to school all these years for...as I'm sure everyone else is feeling the same way. But in the meantime I'm searching for full-time work elsewhere, yet on the side I keep my eyes and ears open for teaching positions.

4. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 13, 2008

In my case it's declining enrollment. There are less kids, plus the school board is always looking for ways to cut, so the newer teachers, despite already having been hired find themselves redundent. A few postings just came out on Thursday and there is one that I signed for. However, it's only a 0.8. If I am the most senior qualified redundant teacher it will automatically be mine and I will still retain my rights to full time for the following year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2008

I think the reason is that I don't know the right people. I have two principals tell me that my resume and cover letter are great and that I present myself in a professional manner.

I keep getting told that my application is on personal file with principals and if any openings become available, I will be called. So far those are lies.

I have applied to 2 positions in the county so we'll see if I get either one of those. I also have applications out in NC as does my DH so we'll see what comes of any of them.

6. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 13, 2008

STG....i know how it feels to think you have been misled.....

so many things change so quickly as far as i can tell....doesnt make it any less frustrating!

DH told me this morning to go for what i wanted...that I had followed him with him military career my entire adult life and that it was finally my turn....go for whatever job I felt would make me happy and he would make do until he could retire....:wub:

i am hoping A JOB will come through at this point!

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 13, 2008

For me I think it's a double-edged sword
    1) Declining enrollment is hitting Florida hard
    2) I was laid off last year and it's really hard for some admins to accept that I did nothing wrong. My response really wants to be "If I did something wrong, then why am I collecting unemployment?"

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

I wish I knew UCSD Grad. I think in your case it's just an oversaturation of unemployed teachers and not enough openings--don't take it personally. You will find that job!
    That's also true in my case, but I also fear people look at me and think I am too old (45). I just received a single subject credential last May, and earned my masters in English Literature 5 years ago.
    I am a mid-life career changer and the mother of two boys, one is 13 and the other 10, and the oldest is developmentally disabled.
    What I bring to the classroom isn't just education, energy, and enthusiasm, but I also bring life experience. I don't teach like someone stuck in the past. It's frustrating to have worked so hard only to come out of that tunnel to discover that no one wants you. I don't think my husband gets why I don't have a job despite reading about the state budget impasse in the newspaper.
    The other day as I was talking to a group of other mothers, I told one mom I would love to get a job at her son's middle school.
    She looked at me and smirked, "But all the teachers there are so young." THUD!
    Sorry, I didn't meant to make this about me. I don't know how long you've been looking, but don't give up hope. When you least expect it, you will find that job and it's going to be sweet!

9. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 13, 2008

i am 38 and feel much like you do.....imo, that could go either way...depends on the person deciding! you would think they would rather have those of us with more experiences IRL....rather than the potential first job ever candidates that have never proven themselves reliable and dependable...however, they may look at those and think eager and innovative! ? who knows!

i have heard bad things about UOP but do not understand why technology would not be embraced rather than looked down upon!

at any rate, i just need a job and want to improve the odds whatever way i can!!

10. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

Thirty-eight sounds so young to me! You sound like you have a lot going for you, so I know you will find your dream job sooner rather than later.

11. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 14, 2008

Does UOP mean University of Phoenix? If yes, did you do any student teaching in real life? Do you have similar experiences with students as do prospective teachers from traditional programs? Do you address the issue (real or perceived) with having an online credential in your cover letter?

12. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 14, 2008

thanks for your thoughts...i would love to hear your followup thoughts!

13. PASSEDINORLANDO

PASSEDINORLANDO Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

I'm in Orlando, Fl. I applied to several elementary schools and received a reply from 1 principal telling me they are not hiring as enrollment is down. What does that mean? Are parents just not sending their kids to school anymore? How can enrollment be down from last year? Are there more homeschoolers? Are people just moving out of Florida? How strange is that?

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 16, 2008

I'm in Florida too. People are for the first time in many years leaving the state. It's very challenging right now for job seekers in the state. Teachers are being laid off, salaries are being cut or frozen. I had a great position last year but was laid off because of budget shortfalls. I'm hoping for a leave position right now.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2008

EXACTLY! that is so right...and is so wrong for them to think that way. You almost want to curse them out and say, "People who are fired for gross misconduct by abusing a student are denied Unemployment. They also run the risk of having their license suspended. I could not have a current license, nor be eligible for unemployment insurance if that was the case."

:mad:

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2008

btw.... I am checking in, as I said I would...because as you all know... I was here myself 1 month ago. I think you may be right...USCgrad

Maybe this job came my way because somebody was truly looking out for me.

Lord knows the 150 or so applications and resumes I sent out didn't get anywhere!

Talk to everyone, everywhere... too many people get discouraged, embarassed, and stay in the house. It takes guts to respond to this question: What are you doing home today?

How many of you can say:

I have been home for the last 6 months, as I am out of work. Do you know of any places that are looking for teachers?

I think the fear of being found out can sometimes keep you from being found..

17. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 16, 2008

right about which part of what i have written?

thanks! and yes, i am blanking out....

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2008

yes, your opening line for this thread...

it's who you know...and who knows you...so you got to let it be known, that you are out of work, as most of us have been conditioned to keep that to ourselves, for fear and pride - because we don't want people to know. And it is totally opposite of what works...in education anyways!

19. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 16, 2008

I live in California where enrollment issues are so dismal entire schools have completely closed. Many native Californians, like myself, have had to consider leaving the state we call home because the cost of living here is so ridiculous. (Phoenix, AZ sounds less and less horrid to me) Anyhow, I think that, and as others have said I just don't "know" the right people. Also, I am 41, and even though I look young, I still wonder sometimes if that plays a factor. I also agree with what many have said, that the market is so incredibly flooded with qualified applicants that it just dictates the employers market that we are in. Kind of ironic. It's a home buyers market, and an employers market. If I could get a decent paying job I could maybe save enough to buy a home or at least a condo. :(

20. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 16, 2008

i appreciate all of the replies....makes me feel more and more strongly about moving back to our home state and getting a job in those schools where i know plenty of people....get my boys through high school and let my husband finish up his career solo....

i have prayed about it and tried to look at other states and the conditions of other places rather than my dismal situation currently and the more i consider it, the better it appeals to me!

21. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Sep 17, 2008

I am depressed and really do not know what to do. I am having a difficult time with this all.

I just can't go back to my former career, I just can't.

22. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 17, 2008

my unemployment in sped has a lot to do with my desire to not drive to LA to work because the last few days my phone has rang off the hook!

Stephanie

23. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Sep 17, 2008

There's a few reasons why I havent found a job

1. Limiting my options
    I have only applied to 1 district. The only other district I would even consider is across the bay in Oakland, which would not be a problem other than I don;t have a car or drive.
    I actually got offered a job in East Oakland, but declined after I figured that I would spend 3 hours on commute. One day I will move to Oakland and just teach there (well, if I could ever get my gf to move there)

2. Limiting my options even more
    A classmate of mine told me of a job opening at the most respected public school in the city, and of the best in the nation. I didn't even bother to turn in my resume, even though it was an AP class in the subject I student taught. Why would I refuse to pursue such an opportunity? Because I got into teaching to serve at risk youth, those who are in most dire need of someone like myself, not the cream of the crop.

3. Mix of things (age, demeanor, etc)
    The place I student taught at actually had 2 positions up over the summer. I couldn't even sniff out a interview with them. As the ex-principal told my supervisor, I apparently didn't do a good job at separating myself from the students, and they questioned whether or not I would be able to control a class.
    He was right about the me not being able to separate myself from the students....if you would have walked in on any day I subbed, it would have taken you a minute to figure out I was a teacher. Mid 20's, latino, young face (or so the students said). It didnt matter how much I dressed up, I still had other teachers ask students who was the sub even though I was a foot away from them.

The being able to control the class, I never quite understood. It's not like the principal ever saw me teach. or kicked out students like I had seen with other teachers.
    At the end of the day, I never fit in with the school. I didn't act, teach, or carry myself like anyone else at the school, and I'm ok with that. Sucks too because unlike anyone in that school, I'm actually from the community in which the school is located at.

24. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 18, 2008

I applied for many positions at the school I student taught at and it too is in my community. My kids are zoned for the school!

It seems so much like a popularity contest at times. Who cares about your credentials or community interaction. The last time I checked having people who were actually members of the school's community teaching was a good thing. Nope we want our teachers to all have a certain look and be our gossip buddies.

25. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 18, 2008

I think it's great that you have such strong convictions about who you are and your profession. That is the kind of teachers this country needs!:thumb: As Matgrad said, unfortunately a lot of schools it's all about some stupid kind of popularity contest. However, not all schools are that way. Just keep strong to your heart and you'll land in the right school. In the meantime, maybe work on convincing your gf to move to Oakland. ;) Best of luck to you!

26. forensicteacher

forensicteacher Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

No job yet

I am also looking for a teaching job, but now I have applied for substituting. I applied to 2 districts, which one of them told me that there is not enough job opportunities for substituting. I just went to another district for an initial interview for substitute teachers, I was so nervous, and is not like I never taught or substitute before and i knew how to answer all their questions, but i got so nervous, I forgot somethings to say.
    I tried charters schools, but one of them were looking for a strict person. They emphasize it in one of their questions. I did not like it, the job was from 7-5pm and you only get one month off. I have a little baby, and I need at least some time, if not Ill be stress out (I have been there before). My husband tells me to try tutoring for now until I find a job. I hope I can find one, it seems there is a lot of qualify teachers that do not have a job and very few opportunities.

27. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Sep 19, 2008

My lack of official teaching experience and the lack of jobs in my area.

28. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 19, 2008

I interviewed at a charter school that told me my hours would be from 8am-5pm and that I would be required to hold after-school tutoring once a week. Plus, I would have to give students my cell number so they could contact me with any questions they had after school. All this for 32,000/year!!!

29. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 19, 2008

wow....even your cell number....how is that for an electronic leash.....is that low pay for your area......it is for SC even! VA its extremely low!

30. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 19, 2008

No question about it, my old principal. She has some vendetta when it comes to me. No reason for it. She just didn't like me.

31. smalltowngal

Sep 19, 2008

That's why I don't put my old principal as a reference. She's not even at the same school anymore, so its not hard. I use my old AP instead.

32. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 19, 2008

In the public system, I would make 39,000/year. That's if I can ever find a happy little school to call my own. :cool: The charters all seem to want slaves and I need some work/life balance or I would just burn out.

33. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 19, 2008

I worked in a very small rural district. We had no assistant principals. I don't put down my former principal as a reference. The principals that I interview with just called my last employer.

34. KAM

KAM Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

While it is very difficult to know for sure what the exact reason is, in some circumstances it may be the fact that you did go to the University of Phoenix online instead of a brick-and-mortar college. I hope that is not the case, but unfortunately online schools sometimes are looked down upon as not measuring up to traditional colleges, and there may be less alma mater from the University of Phoenix to help new graduates obtain jobs. However, in the end it is just rank speculation. Good luck in your search.

35. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 19, 2008

kam....

do you think that since my undergrad was at a traditional school would help sever that thought if that is the case...

36. KAM

KAM Rookie

Sep 20, 2008

If your undergrad degree is from a traditional brick-and-mortar school, then it is less likely, but not impossible, that the administration might be holding your online degree in lesser esteem. It really is speculation because no one can know what really factors into a person's decision-making process when they decide to hire or not hire someone. The fact that you have an undergrad degree from a traditional brick-and-mortar school should give you some comfort though that your credentials will be taken seriously.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of the University of Phoenix? I see advertising for them a lot.

37. Electron

Electron Rookie

Sep 21, 2008

I have to say, I do hold online schools in less esteem than brick-and-mortar schools for a subject like education, which is all about human interaction. The irony is that the subjects that could best be taught online, such as math, aren't usually offered at online schools - probably because of the old chestnut of math-qualified people being able to get better jobs than the crappy deals available at places like UoP (and that's another thing - online colleges' professors are often far lower quality or less qualified than even most community college professors, let alone those in major colleges or universities).

38. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Sep 21, 2008

ouch.

i went to uop....and I worked very hard for my degree....I did extremely well during the REQUIRED part of my program in the classroom....which by the way required human interaction.....and in my opinion, education should be a field that embraces the idea of online education...after all, there are TONS of teachers who have pursued such....and you are expected to embrace technology in the classroom, using it in teaching.....

and I want to add that there are crappy teachers in EVERY institution....I have both great teachers and crappy ones both in person and online.....

i will get a decent job...and i will do well in the field....I have a lot to offer regardless of where I learned about teaching....

just funny to me that online education is frowned upon in this day and age. I guess we should all just step back in time and all be educated in a one room school that doubles as the community church.

39. smalltowngal

Sep 21, 2008

I have heard that UofP hasn't been met with open arms by some schools. I know that in a NJ paper, they did a story over UofP. czacza, a regular poster, has this story. That being said, I'm currently doing my masters online through a school that has an online school connected to a brick-and-mortor school. I made sure that it was accepted by the school district I'm wanting to get into.

As with any college or educational institution you're going to have the good ones and the not so good ones, either one can have bad professors.

40. BrainsInGear

BrainsInGear New Member

Sep 24, 2008

I think that part of it is the fact that there are so many teachers competing for so few positions, and after five years of this, I strongly suspect that it's all political (at least in towns with a population of 50,000 and under).

I don't have connections, so if my "excellent" interviewing, student teaching reviews, portfolio and lesson plans don't win me a position, I'm out of luck. (Please don't think I'm conceited; "excellent" is the word the principals use to describe my work).

I don't think it's my skills, because more than once, I went through a series of three interviews for a position (narrowed down from 300+ to just two of us) - and they told me that it was so difficult, but they finally decided to hire the other teacher.

Oversaturation and politics - that about explains it. If schools ever begin hiring and firing based on whether or not the teacher is a good teacher, I'm sure I'd have a contract - and tons of people here would, too.

41. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 24, 2008

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner :soapbox:

School hiring reminds me of high school. Sometimes I feel like I'm running for homecoming queen rather than interviewing for a professional position.