Those who use Binders for Plan Books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by arm605, Jul 24, 2010.

1. arm605

arm605 Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

I have been hearing about people using 3-ring binders and their own format as their plan book. I am just curious as to why you chose to go this route, what you all include in the binder (do you add more detailed papers for Daily 5, math workshop, etc.?), and how you feel about the bulkyness of it??? I typically bring my plan book home each night....ugh!

I use a store made spiral bound plan book, but will be doing Daily 3 and math workshops this year, which will probably require additional sheets anyways. So I am looking for ideas and opinions!

3. missidy

missidy Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

...I go this route because it's all I've know and have ever done :)
    It's easy to add to, especially when I have a sub and need to leave extra notes or group children, and it's great for workshop notes. I type up my plans, though, so only print them and put them in my binder to hand to my principal or sub--other than that, I just carry around my flashdrive to/from work. Yes, it's bulky but I never carry the "bulky" part around (it's on my computer), and I also get a new binder for each teaching term.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2010

I don't teach exactly the same thing you do, but I went to my own plans in a binder for several reasons -

-preprinted plans never seemed to fit my needs exactly so I came up with something that works for me

-I can add anything I want - for example, I copy their information and permission forms and put them in a section so I have everything for calls home.

-I can have pockets to put papers in.

-I put a section for flyers for upcoming events so they are easy to find

I teach preschool and adult school so I could have sections for both so I'm not hauling around two books.

Anyway, it works for me - you can use a skinny binder if you want. Plus there are lots of pretty ones out there now.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 24, 2010

We have a parish (county) format that we use on the computer. I have tweaked it a little to fit my teaching/planning/reading style. I like doing it this way rather than the book because it's just easier. If it's something that is simple, then I can give it just a little space. If it's something that's more detailed, I can write it all out. Also when I stray and don't get everything done, I can just copy and paste rather than rewriting it all or just saying "See Thursday". I don't bring my planner home, but when I finish my plans I email a copy to myself. That way I can have access to them with packing the binder.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 24, 2010

I have a binder with plans that stays on my desk. I don't take it back and forth. I type up all my plans on my computer, so they're easy to access.

I have a separate binder where I keep my CAFE/Daily 5 stuff.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 24, 2010

You could make your own plan book for the year and then have it Spiral bound at Staples.

8. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 24, 2010

I have only used my own format for as long as I've been teaching. As PP's have said, it is very easy to add/adjust the plans to fit my needs. Typing the plans allows me to fit a lot more information for each day and subject because I can change the size of the font (I have big handwriting so I usually can't fit much in those little boxes on the ones sold in stores). Since all of my plans are saved on my portable hard drive, I don't have to worry about carrying my binder around. I have dividers in it for each month to make it easier to find specific plans. In the front of my plan binder I have a section for our county's curriculum pacing guides and state standards for my grade level. I absolutely love using a binder :wub:

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

My first year using a binder, it was a half inch binder so it was quite small. I now use a one inch binder because I include other things in the tabs. I keep the pacing guides for my district, seating charts, UA groups, and school memos.

A one inch binder really isn't bulky at all.

10. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

I love using my typed up format for several reasons:
    - I hate eraser marks on my book so I can always adjust on the computer.
    -If there is a surprise assembly I can copy and paste what I was going to do into the next day or the next week.
    -The boxes adjust to the size of the lesson Im teaching or where my students are. I dont need a huge box to write "Art and Lunch".
    -It also makes it easy to hand in because we are allowed to email our plans.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2010

I use a binder because I type my lesson plans in word. :)

12. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 24, 2010

We are required to keep a data notebook. It contains everything from student test scores to teacher lesson plans. That notebook never leaves the school. Way too heavy :eek: It's just a quick reference for me, and any administration who comes in to look through it. Like a pp said, I type my lesson plans and never have to carry a bulky binder home.

13. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 24, 2010

I use a binder, but it's small; I think only half an inch. I like that I can add other things to it, like worksheets, Literacy Menu, reminders of upcoming events, etc.

14. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

I use a binder so that I can make easy changes to the format if necessary.
    I also keep copies of the standards, and my list of read alouds and poems for the year in it.

15. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

We enter our plans through our online grade book and also had to print them out and turn them in this year. I have a Word template that I type my plans into and then just copy and paste them. I print a copy and place these into a binder on my desk just in case I would have a sub or visitor in the room.

Also in this binder are: class list, emergency contact info for myself and kids that I type into a simple spreadsheet, emergency plans (tornado, fire, lockdown, etc.), lunch count/attendance procedures and a few spare forms, lunch calendar, lists of groups (reading, math, etc.) that I know would work well together, schedule of student comings and goings for pull-out, daily schedule, 5 minute filler ideas (games, quick writes, etc.) for subs

I'm sure there is more in there and while it seems like a lot, I fit it all into a 1/2 in. notebook with page protectors. I keep all of this information on my falshdrive so I rarely remove it from my desk but I feel like I'm covered anytime someone else is in my room.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2010

Like PPs, I type (and save!) my LPs in MS Word. They are archived on my "brain" (USB hard drive), so that is all I transport back & forth. My official Lesson Plan Binder (4", but it lasts all year) stays on a bookcase, just inside my door, and is for my P and visitors to view. If I need a copy of a plan (sometimes I do for math), I print an extra for my desk - otherwise, I have them on my computer(s). I keep a notepad handy, and that's where I make anecdotal observations and comments about the LPs and their effectiveness - I adjust my plans accordingly. The great thing about archiving my plans digitally is that the next year, I already have MOST of the info typed in already! I have to change dates, student info (groups, etc.), and specific details, but the lesson information (basal) stays the same. Oh, and I have a "student information" (2") binder behind my teacher table (no desk). It contains contact/medical information, discipline papers, permission slips, documentation, etc. My grade/attendance binder (1") is also behind my desk. I have file folders for student assessments and papers. If I know in advance that I will have a sub, I type a HUGELY detailed lesson/schedule and leave it with all necessary papers & books on my teacher table. Otherwise, I have an emergency sub tub that contains generic plans and papers and books, etc. Sorry for rambling....