Those who have taken an unpaid leave of absence...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by pommom, Jan 14, 2018.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jan 14, 2018

How long were you out for? Did you come back to finish the school year? If you did come back that same school year, did you go back to the same position in the same classroom, or did you get placed elsewhere in the district? It does say a full time position is secured but not the exact same position.
    I do not want to go back to the same school (long story); I am not sure if I have a choice with that.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2018

I've taken FMLA twice, and both times a part of that leave was unpaid. I returned to my regular position without any problem. The only issues that arose were that I needed to pay out of pocket for my health care during that time (the district didn't make a contribution on my behalf), and I think it impacts my eventual retirement date.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 14, 2018

Are you on a probationary contract or term? What type of leave?

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 14, 2018

I have never taken a leave, but I replaced someone who was on leave. She was gone for the entire school year. When she returned, she was given a new position, and I kept her old position.

The people I know who took short term leaves and returned during the school year went back into their old position.

6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jan 14, 2018

Thanks for replies.
    I am on regular school year contract.

The thought of going back to the same school makes me physically sick. I don't know if HR can help me with this when I come back.