Those teaching a block schedule

Discussion in 'General Education' started by trulyunic, Aug 16, 2012.

1. trulyunic

trulyunic Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

Do you give students a "break" of any kind within your class (brain break, PAT...) I have a 90 min block and I would love to hear what you do in your classes.

Also, can you give a short outline of how a general class is structured for you? Example bell work, mini lecture, group work, extension etc etc

Any other tips on teaching in a block would be great

Mil gracias!

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

Break? No way Jose! That "break" would turn into an unorganized, unstructured mess too quickly.

I've always worked with 90 minutes classes. Now that I have 80 minute classes I'm always wondering where the time goes! You'll get used to it pretty quickly.

I always start with a 10-15 minute bell ringer and usually try to close with a 5-10 min vocab activity.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

I just break up the time into different activities, and try to break up lecture with group projects. At least once a block, I do some kind of activity that allows students to get up and move around.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 16, 2012

Nope, no break. There aren't enough minutes in the semester as it is!

I do like the others mentioned. I change around the activities to keep them from zoning out too much.

Sometimes I will purposefully NOT hole punch handouts or NOT disperse the scissors just to have a reason why students need to get up and tend to something outside of their seat. I tend to do this on rainy, dreary days especially. The kids think I just forgot to do something but it was intentional ;)

One time I was having to lecture for a long time due to a weird thing that happened that week at school. The kids were getting antsy. I had them all stand up and switch seats with the student opposite of them. They complained about their new seats and thought it was a stupid idea but they all woke up!

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 16, 2012

I had one 85 minutes class during my student teaching. We did brain breaks sometimes, but I don't think I would do it again. The biggest problem was they wouldn't stop asking for the breaks on days when we didn't have time to do them.

7. trulyunic

trulyunic Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

Ok thanks guys. Looks like I will stick to my plan of just mixing up the activities to give them variation

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2012

I agree with the others: no breaks! A few different activities to mix things up is the way to go.

When I taught on the block, each period usually looked like this:

Bellringer
    Quick review
    Intro new topic
    Large-group practice, usually a game or some sort of physical activity like Ladders or something
    Partner or individual practice
    Closure

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 16, 2012

No breaks where they can do as they please, unless it was really hot out. Then I'd send them out in groups of four to get water and use the restroom.

I did change up what we were doing about every 20 minutes.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 16, 2012

Heck no! No breaks in my room. The closest thing to a break they get is when we transition from activity to activity, and that is quick and not "free time" either.

I don't do anything for more than 20 minutes at a time. I try to break it up so they're not doing the same types of things day after day either.