Those product parties......

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by perplexed, Oct 8, 2012.

1. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Oct 8, 2012

I want to host a 31 Gifts party for a lot of reasons. My cousin sells it and I wanted to help her, I have a house barely anyone has seen, and I just want to have a fun little party on a Sunday afternoon.

Normally when I get invited to these kind of parties (Candlelite, Pampered Chef, purses,Mary Kay, Lia Sophia, etc...) I don't go to them because I don't like spending a ton of money on something I don't want. I feel like I'm being used by the host because they get discounts off what I buy. Normally I'm invited to parties to people I barely talk to, so it makes me think they're only inviting me so I spend money.

I do love totes and bags though, and I want to have a 31 party.

I'm new to my school, and I wanted to invite some co-workers/teachers because I've recently gotten to know them and talk to them more, almost every day, usually about school stuff only though. I think it would be fun to have them over because I think they'd have a nice time and they seem like they like opportunities when they can do something together.

If you were invited to a party like this, what would you think? Would you even go to it or not? Besides for the reason of being busy, would you go if it was someone you talked to at school, but you weren't really friends outside of school?

I'm also not sure how to do invitations. My assistant principal will okay it I'm sure, but should I put a big one in the teacher's lounge, and then give individual invitations to teacher who I talk to more? There are some lady teachers I have never talked to ever.

Have you or anyone at your school done a party like this? How did it go? I was also going to have some family members and other friends, so it wouldn't just be co-teachers.

Should I invite teachers or not? I don't want them to think I'm weird for inviting them, but I also want to be more social and friendly. However, I don't want them to think I'm using them for selling products. I just want to have a little party. I don't care if they buy anything or not.

What do you think?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2012

I think there are two different issues here.

If you want to have your work friends over, do so for Sunday brunch or something. But don't invite them over for the first time to spend money.

If you want to have the party, invite family and established friends.

Personally I'm not a fan of those product parties. If I want to buy something, I'll buy it. I hate the whole "come to my house and spend some money" thing. I know not everyone agrees, but it's why I've never hosted a Tupperware or Pampered Chef type of party.

4. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Oct 8, 2012

I would go with a big poster type in the staff room, and mention it to anyone you are particularly interested in. Don't feel bad, though, if no one comes. A lot of teachers don't like to socialize with co-workers on the weekend.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2012

I'd invite them to something else first. If a teacher I'd never hung out with socially asked me to go to a "product party" I'd assume they were just inviting everyone they knew to try to get more discounts or whatever.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2012

I don't go to those parties. I don't even go to those parties when my best friends have them. I just don't like parties, especially sales-pitch parties. Now, sometimes if I'm invited and I actually do like the products and want something, I'll place an order BEFORE the party. I still won't attend the party.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2012

This.

A coworker invited me to her birthday party, but it was really one of those sales parties for bedroom toys. I didn't feel like going because 1) I don't really care for these sales pitch parties, and 2) I didn't know the coworker very well. Well, evidently she was really offended that I didn't attend and ended up unfriending me on Facebook. Oh well. Sad face.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Oct 9, 2012

Guess I'm in the minority. I don't mind the product parties. I go if I want to.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 9, 2012

31 is so big right now! I was recent invited to 2 parties, and attended one. I would just put some catalogs in the lounge, and mention that you're having a party, if anyone would like to come. I wouldn't "advertise" it too much, though, otherwise people might feel bad if they don't attend. I hate when someone is having a party like this, and they ask you personally if you're coming. Then if you say you can't, it's always, "Oh, just come and hang out! You don't have to buy anything."

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2012

At my last school a lot of the teachers would have different product parties. We would go, but not always buy things. No one was ever upset if someone didnt place an order. Mostly we used it as a fun night together. I don't think we usually spent time together besides those parties though. So I don't see a problem with inviting them. You can always tell them how that they don't need to feel obligated to buy anything.