Those Pesky Informational Text Standards...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms.irene, Mar 10, 2015.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2015

How do you approach the CC standards about Reading Informational Text, especially if you don't have a text or set curriculum to work from? I am all over the literature, poetry, novels, etc, but (maybe typical for an English major?) informational text is not my area of expertise. Any suggestions for good sources, approaches, etc for informational text in high school English?

3. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Mar 10, 2015

I teach second grade so VERY different. But I have seen high school teachers assign biographies on authors of famous literature, or instruction on historical events etc....so basically pairing non-fiction with your fiction selections.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 10, 2015

Can you find some contemporary or at least relevant non-fiction from the era of the literature, using the fiction as your anchor text? For example, I had students read the poem "Pyramus and Thisbe" and a scholarly article about the Baz Luhrman adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. This not only satisfies the RI standards, it hyperfocuses on RI.9-10.7 - Analyze various accounts of a subject told in different mediums (e.g., a person’s life story in both print and multimedia), determining which details are emphasized in each account.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2015

Don't worry. Common Core is not just for English teachers. Their history, science, math, and elective teachers should be covering the "informational text" aspect of it.

If not, then your district and site admin do not know how to implement Common Core.

The intent was never to have the informational text part of Common Core fall on the backs of the ELA teachers, but rather that other disciplines incorporate more reading.

6. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Mar 10, 2015

At the secondary level, ELA has standards for reading informational texts AND there are separate standards for "Reading History" and "Reading Science." ELA teachers are definitely required to teach informational texts. This does NOT mean that we have to teach 70% informational texts, but we do have standards to cover.

I cover these standards by having them read nonfiction literature: In Cold Blood, Devil in the White City, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. I teach American Literarure, and we have an entire unit based on early Americans. We read parts of explorers diaries, Of Plymouth and Plantation, and important political texts of the time. This is all considered informational text. Also, I have them read about what we're studying. So instead of giving a lecture about Puritanism before reading The Scarlet Letter, I have them read information about Puritanism.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 10, 2015

I do include some nonfiction novels in my classes. We also do articles of the week. I love the articles of the week!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2015

But it also shouldn't only be left up to the other content areas. ELA teachers do have responsibility here.:2cents:

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 10, 2015

I'm in elementary, but it's funny, I actually have a much easier time teaching the informational text standards than the literature ones. I'm not sure what the high school standards look like, exactly, but it should be fairly easy to find newspaper articles at an appropriate level to discuss and write about. That's what I have my students do.

newsela.com is a great source!

10. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Mar 10, 2015

While teaching rhetoric, we read lots of nonfiction. Kings "Letter" or "Dream" speech, Lincoln's "Inaugural Address," and Nixon's "Checkers" speech to name a few. After reading "Gulliver's Travels," we read a movie review. During my satire unit, I used a lot of nonfiction text like Internet articles, cartoons, etc. There are lots of ways to incorporate nonfiction.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2015

Look up the Common Core Text Exemplars. There are many great examples of informational texts for various content areas, many of which are available for free online if you do a little bit of googling.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2015

Thanks for all the great ideas!

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2015

I teach History/Government, so I use historical documents, writings, passagess and even quotes as informational text sources depending on the assignment, topic, class and skill level.

When I taught MS, historical non-fiction novels were also an option since I had more leeway with the curriculum.