Those of you who relocated

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Aug 23, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 23, 2015

So, once again summer is coming to an end and I still haven't found a full time position.

I've been applying in my area and out of state about 6+ hours away. I know there is definitely a possibility of landing something within the next two weeks. I even have a couple interviews lined up.

However, my concerns are growing about the amount of time I would have between getting a job (if I do) and starting if end up relocating ....

Let's say I accept a job sometime this week. That would leave me less than a week until PD meetings and less than two weeks until school starting..... Within that time I would have to find an apartment that is a available asap, get approved, move, set up my classroom and start planning.

I've never moved before and never had a full time classroom before. Am I biting off more than I can chew in this situation? Is doing all of that within one/two weeks even realistic??

When I started applying out of state I pictured at least a month to be able to do all of this stuff.

Those of you who relocated, did you have a lot of time to move etc? What was your experience?

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 23, 2015

I relocated to another state and it took a while to be honest. I couldn't get approved for a lease until I had the contract in my hand (mailed to me), and faxed it to the leasing office. It took a couple of weeks just to get my contract (had to go through board approval). The leasing office wouldn't accept pay stubs instead because I was coming from another state and there was a minimum salary in order to have the apartment. It's also unlikely many places will have open apartments on such short notice, but it's possible. You may not get your top picks, but you can always move later.
    It takes a few days for the leasing office to do a credit/reference check, but as long as that's good you would get approved. I've never had to secure an apartment so quickly, but I'm sure it's been done by others many times. I knew I had the job in June and moved in mid August and my job started Sept. 1st.
    If you apply out of state, wouldn't you have to apply for a new license? That's another debacle right there. Unless of course the state to which you move is having a huge teacher shorter, unlike the state to which I moved, and it took months to get the license.

4. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 23, 2015

There are many districts in parts of VA still hiring and we go back next week so the possibility of getting a job is there...the length of time to move and get situated is up in the air.

Also you need to know how your license would work in the new state and what you may have to do to obtain the necessary credentials.

The school I am at as of last week was still looking for 1 or 2 sped teachers and a social studies teacher......staff report back next week.

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Aug 23, 2015

I'm currently living out of a motel because the apartment I signed for won't be ready until 9/15. (School starts 9/8 but PDs start on Monday). It's not at all ideal but it's doable though it means putting some money out upfront. We did have to really hunt for apartments, however, because we have a large dog which limited us a lot. During our search, we did come across a few places that had more immediate openings. So while this isn't at all helpful, it probably just depends on the area. I moved within my state so I didn't have to worry about certifications and things like that. Definitely a bit of a whirlwind, a lot going on at one time.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 23, 2015

I moved an hour and half north of where I was living for my first job (basically moved out of my parents' house to start my first real job and I moved with my sister). The private school even was willing to pay for any moving costs, which was awesome since we got a private mover to move everything and it cost $1000. I moved out in early July so I had some time to get use to living on my own before work started.

I've moved two times since - no more than 30 minutes away from my previous location - and started a new job, so my husband and I have done the move on our own with some friends to help. Every single time it has been in July (for some odd reason).

However, if you have a shorter time span of finding a new place, moving, getting settled, and setting up a classroom, realize that it will be stressful for a few weeks but it is totally doable. You can slowly unpack and decorate your new place as you go - hubby and I just get the kitchen and bedroom set up and then we worry about the rest later. After school hours can be spent setting up the classroom - just get the basics done (first week of lessons, parent letters, supplies, desks, rules).

So if you do get a job, get ready to do a lot of work, but nobody expects you have a completely set up apartment or classroom within 2 weeks.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2015

You will just have to come to terms that everything won't be perfect right away. When I moved BACK to Michigan, I had a similar situation. State law prohibits schools from starting before Labor Day, but of course I was hired by a year-round school and it started immediately. I actually had to take a PD day off, drive to NC on a Friday, load the truck on Saturday, and drive back on Sunday. I was staying with my parents because I still had a mortgage to pay, so I didn't have to deal with the apartment hunt. But my classroom wasn't anywhere near ready. We were allowed in classrooms for a few hours the day before we started. I just had to accept that I would get there and I tried not to stress over it. It was hard because I have a bit of OCD.

8. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 23, 2015

I relocated about 4 hours away from home, same state though.
    I didn't have to deal with license issues but moving was a pain. I moved in about a week before school started and my stuff pretty much stayed in boxes until christmas break when I had time to breathe. It was crazy, but it can be done.

9. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 23, 2015

For EVERY counseling job I've had, I've had to relocate (it does look bad on resumes IMO because it makes me look like I probably was nonrenewed when it actually was due to budget or temporary positions).

I'm having to move 2.5 hours away this time (I've lived and worked in Hawaii and that was a pain in the ___ move!)

I'm an expert at this point on relocating for a school job!

Yes, that is correct with your time on things. You may not start by the time kids get back to school which adds stress.

What I'm doing (since I do have some time- I've been offered a job in an email but it takes up to 2 weeks to get a processing appointment and then more time for prints to clear) is going to any of the teacher meetings (before kids start) since I think my principal requires it (hopefully I will get paid if not I will "volunteer" my time since I don't want to look like I'm not a team player).

I'm at Disneyland right now for the next few days on a vacation I couldn't pass up on LOL. I'm driving up on Thursday and spending the night at a hotel to look at apartments I found online or have seen already in person (I'm moving back to a city I used to live in anyway so I know the area well). If I cannot get an apartment right away (which I figure will happen), I'm prepared to spend 4 nights a week at a motel for up to a month and a half (I'll miss my dog too much who will be with my parents).

All my stuff is right now in 2 storage units which I rented.

Staff is supposed to be back on September 1. Kids start September 8. I would be shocked if my fingerprints are cleared by Friday, September 4.

I figure I probably won't be official until maybe Monday, September 14. I just hope I could get paid the 4 days where teachers are supposed to be there since I would have to essentially pay to volunteer by staying at a motel for 3 nights).

But yes in general, moving this late into the summer for a job in education is stressful, costly, and exhausting.

I got an offer on Friday evening on August 21 after 7PM. The way my district does processing (salary and fingerprints) is for them to call me (I am not supposed to call them) with a time however, it takes up to 2 weeks for that.

Many places will still offer you a job even if you they know you will relocate. They will just hire subs to open up the school year.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 23, 2015

I have moved 6 hours away in the middle of the school year. I interviewed in late Feb, got the job offer and signed contract 2 weeks later. I moved about a month after my interview. That gave me enough time to find a new place (which turned out bad, didn't have enough leads, took what I could and later got broken into, and other bad things happened). The timing actually worked out, because when I moved, the kids had just started their spring break so I had a little over a week to get my apartment and my classroom in order. It worked out alright.

If I was to get a job now, I would just have to start work late. They can get a sub in the classroom for 2-3 weeks, that way i can find a place, move and settle in, and not add too much stress. It's already very stressful to move, AND to start a new job, especially one like teaching, so you have to make sure you dictate a pace you are comfortable with. I'm sure the school understand that. I don't think they would pass you on just because you need 3 weeks to start. It wouldn't make sense for them to go with their #2 choice, just for a little bit of time.

11. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 23, 2015

I guess I'm going to disagree with Linguist on this (which almost never happens) but I think starting your class with a sub gets your year off to a rocky start. I would probably go for a short-term rental, sublet or weekly motel rate, start school on time and get housing situated when time allowed.

12. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 23, 2015

LOL Linguist. I think everytime I moved somewhere with limited time I ended up picking an awful place! Your experience is similar to mine. Strangely, you look like me and I'm also a Scorpio :eek::)

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2015

I relocated 1200 miles away 2 weeks before school started for my first job. It all worked out fine. I panicked about finding an apartment, but was able to find something decent right away. I had a friend that had to stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks before finding a place- not ideal, but worth it in the end. I obviously didn't have a lot of money since it was my first job and I hadn't gotten paid yet. I also could only bring what could fit in one car with me. The only "furniture" I could bring was my mattress. I bought a $30 "dorm" chair from Target and that was my only living room furniture for about two months. I gradually bought items for my apartment as I could afford them. It was about three months before my apartment was fully furnished. This part is a little sad, but having time to set up school was no big deal either, because since I was living a thousand miles from anyone I knew, I had no friends or life outside of work yet. I was actually thrilled when PD started because it gave me something to do! Honestly, it sounds rough but at the time I was just so thrilled to have a "real" teaching job that nothing really bothered me.

If you find that you just can't move quickly enough, it is possible that the school will get you a sub like someone else said. We had an extremely hard time filling our open sped position this year and my Principal mentioned more than once that she'd rather wait for someone good than just get a "warm body" in there quickly. School started two weeks ago and we just hired someone on Thursday. She will start this coming Wednesday.

14. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 23, 2015

Wow!! Thanks so much for all your experiences.

To be honest I feel like I'm probably gonna end up in a hotel for a bit and I guess just focus on getting my classroom ready and finding a good apartment. The main thing that worries me about this is the financial aspect....Definitely not ideal since I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to these types of things....I think though it would be worth it in the end...might have to live on ramen noodles for a bit haha

I didn't even think about the licensing issue! That actually is worrying me....I know in my state certifications take MONTHS ... I hope this won't be the case.

I'm definitely expecting it to be stressful. When I considered applying out of state I pictured getting hired months in advance so this is all kind of not the way I planned (when does is it ever lol) ... To be honest though I'm in NY and jobs are ridiculously hard to get... So if I want to teach in this decade I'm gonna have to suck it up for a few weeks and figure it out

15. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 23, 2015

I think my situation (if I get a job) will definitely be similar to yours....I am just planning on packing whatever fits in my car and staying in a hotel until everything gets figured out.
    It would be my first teaching job so I guess it will make a good story to tell one day lol

16. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Aug 24, 2015

I think if a district really wants you, they will accommodate you, even if that means getting a sub for a short time. At a charter I previously worked at, we had a ton of out of state candidates. They actually provided for relocation expenses. There was one candidate that they really liked who got hired very last minute and they helped direct him to specific apartments that were safe and local to the school. One of the school leaders even went as far as offering him an extra bedroom at his house to stay at, if needed, until he found a place. I'm sure that is not extremely common, but the point is that they really wanted this candidate and went out of their way to get him hired.

Also, what about applying at some high needs districts? There are some districts that I believe are still very short staffed and are planning on starting the year with subs anyway since they have so many open vacancies.

17. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2015

I did it...moved across country for my first teaching job. Graduated with my MAT mid-August and school started the last week of August. In retrospect, it was a little crazy, but we made it work...drove across country in a few days and just hit the ground running looking for an apartment in one of the toughest housing markets in the country (San Francisco). We moved in just days before school started! It was hard but we made it work and survived somehow :) Where there's a will, there's a way! Although you do have to be mentally prepared that it may be a little stressful. Being organized and treating the apartment search like a full-time job for a few days is key: have a folder prepared with all your info when you go to look at a place and be prepared to act fast, just like a job interview. It can be done!

18. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 24, 2015

I feel better now that others have been through this process. If I get a job I'm definitely going to have to get into that mindset that it's going to be a bit hectic

19. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 24, 2015

Wow! That's awesome good for you! ....how did it work when you had to apply for the CA certification in such a small window of time? Did you run into a lot of issues with that?

20. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 24, 2015

I started new teacher orientation today and in my school alone of the 5 of us that were there today 4 are from out of state.....I met many others throughout the day who are from out of state one lady drove in last night and is staying in a hotel for now.

They also don't seem to be stressing over license stuff transferring and potentially having to test or do whatever to meet VA requirements.

21. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 24, 2015

Good to know!! Thanks! ... If I were them I would probably be freaking out on the inside and trying to be cool calm and collected lol :whistle:

22. BioChemTeacher

BioChemTeacher Rookie

Aug 26, 2015

All the stories of how difficult it is to find jobs as teachers is definitely making me apprehensive about the career change! I keep hearing about teacher shortages (clearly only in certain areas) but I've yet to see any real improvements to anything remotely resembling job security or improved compensation!

I suppose I'll just have to get used to it.

23. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 26, 2015

I think it really depends on the areas! Hopefully things will change soon!

24. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2015

I was lucky since it was a Catholic school and they weren't too concerned about my cert status. I think if a district is willing to hire you out-of-state, they should (hopefully) have a plan in place to make it work out. I think they can hire people on "emergency" basis with a kind of temporary certification, but I'm honestly not too sure. If you have a state in mind where you think you'll get a job, you could also apply ahead of time just to get the ball rolling.

25. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Aug 26, 2015

I have a friend who moved from NY to VA just before the school year a few years back and as others have mentioned, the district was able to apply for some kind of emergency certification which moved the paperwork along more quickly. He still had to take some of the Praxis exams but he had a year to complete everything and was able to teach in the meantime.

I don't know where you are in NY, but as of a couple of weeks ago at least, Syracuse City was still hiring for some positions. If you're interested, feel free to PM me and I can give you contact info that's quicker than applying through the website.

26. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Okay guys,

so now that this is POSSIBLY all coming together I am having ALOT of second thoughts.

I just don't know if relocating with limited time is worth all the stress?? I am overwhelmed that I may only have a few DAYS to find an apartment and plan for my room!

PLUS I have very little experience with special ed....I feel like I don't have time to sit down and plan and really go through everything to be ready for the first day because there are so many other things I have to do like make sure I get all my paperwork in in time, pack and find an apartment!

I don't even know what day I would have to be there but I know it would be THIS coming week...I'm assuming as early as possible to get fingerprinting done etc.

I know if I chicken out I will probably regret it later on because there really isn't much for me here. I just don't know if I am making the right decision by deciding to just pick up everything and leave. Especially by myself.

27. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

It will definitely be stressful at first. I'm not sure which county you are in but Fairfax county offers a lot of support for new teachers. You will have a mentor and teammates to help you as you get settled in.

28. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

You're right. I'm sure I'm not going to be 100% on my own. I think I'm just letting the stress get to me and mess with my mind!! I do want this! I just wanted more time to prep

29. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 28, 2015

Everything always has a way of working itself out. You can do this. You're mentally ready otherwise you wouldn't have considered it and applied. Sure it's short notice but and you'll spend most of September and October settling yourself in, and feel overwhelmed but just think it's the beginning, and it'll get easier. Most first year teachers get hired last minute right before the school year. And there's a teacher shortage there so I'm sure they have some kind of unspoken understanding.

30. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2015

When I relocated, my only regret was not doing it sooner. It wasn't my initial reaction, but by the end of the year I definitely felt this way.
    It is normal to doubt when you are making a huge, life-changing decision.

31. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Thanks. I am trying to remind myself that too, truth is I think I will really be happy with my decision. I went away to college about 5 hours away and remember being terrified and home sick for a couple of weeks until I got into a routine but by the end of the year I LOVED it. I didn't want to come home!!

I'm trying to remind myself that I DO want this, but of course anxiety is a very powerful emotion. It's filling my head with a lot of doubt and worry.

Like I said, it's mostly doing this in such a hurry and stressful way! I feel like I need training wheels :haha:

32. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 28, 2015

Are you going to make the move? Keep us in the loop! I understand the scariness of packing and moving far away (for me it was a 14 hour drive, alone with my cat)! But right now I still have no regrets, but it was rough for me at first. I also didn't get any materials or my schedule until right before school started, so I didn't get much of a head start with planning. You will be ok!

33. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Thanks!! Right now I am just waiting to hear back from HR. I don't want to move anywhere until I get more details about everything! If all is clear I am going to make the move but as you stated it is definitely scary. I just don't like not knowing things, you know?? Probably one of the reasons I wasn't so fond of subbing! I never knew anything ahead of time!

34. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 28, 2015

Life's all about taking risks, right? I don't think you have anything to lose. Not sure what district you'll be in, but it sounds like Virginia (that's where you're moving right!?) has good schools and are good to their teachers.

At this point in the year with it being so close to the start of school, they're not going to have time to find anyone else. They will make it work with you even if they have to get an emergency license for you or a sub license.

35. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Thanks! Yeah it seems like they are so desperate!

36. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2015

Whereabouts in VA will you be? My family is in Fauquier County. Many NoVa districts are strong, but just growing so fast that they need more and more teachers every year.

37. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

North Virginia!

38. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 28, 2015

Congrats anon55!

39. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Thank you so much!! Glad to know someone else is going through the process too!

You're right. Step by step is key I think

40. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 28, 2015

I love this topic because a lot of people in education do often relocate for a job!

I've been doing relocation stuff the last 2 days. Granted my move is anywhere from 2.5-4 hours (depending on traffic on the 5 freeway!)

Spent 2 days looking at apartments, had a district processing appointment (get this, by the time I was done, I was sent to get my fingerprints and I was told to come back Monday since they don't have enough time to do my fingerprints so now I have to spend more money on a motel!), and started looking into cable companies, etc.

Today I just applied for a very expensive apartment and put down a hold deposit (gives me 1 little less than 2 weeks to try to see if I could find something cheaper). I'm moving to an area where it's college students galore and they already took most places in my budget. What's left is extremely expensive since it's the time of year!! For the first 2 weeks of the school year I figure I will be at a cheap motel for Monday-Thursday night (come to my parents' house on weekends to be with my dog!). I'll only be paid as a sub until my fingerprints clear which sucks since basically I'm volunteering my time (my contracted pay is more than double what a sub gets paid!).

The hard part is (and you guys will experience this too) is arranging a time for internet and cable since it's very difficult to get a time after work (my hours would be 8:30-3:45). I'm probably going to have my family be there to instruct the movers where to put my stuff (I have 2 storage units full of my belongings!) and to install cable and internet!

Until you get settled in a home, this whole process is stressful. I feel like my home summer has been stressful. Went on a ton of interviews not getting anything until the 11th hour, was told I would have to come back for fingerprinting which costs me more money on getting a motel room, have had difficulty finding apartments in my budget, and have to move all my stuff out of my parents' house and storage. Oh and get this. My parent's street cannot have any cars parked on it for a few days in Sept (we don't know the exact dates yet) due to the city having to re-cement the street!

41. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 28, 2015

Where else would I be on a Friday night?:mellow::mellow::mellow::huh::D