Those of you who have been on multiple interview this summer..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lindsey923, Jul 7, 2011.

1. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

What is your secret?!? :D

I have only scored one interview. Would you be willing to share your cover letter/resume? I am looking for any help that I can get.

Thanks!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

I would just like to give you loads of encouragement and tell you not to give up. In spite of the job outlook, there are still many jobs available.
    My resume wouldn't help you because I have taught for a long time in many different situations, and that's what landed my interviews.

4. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

If it makes you feel any better, I have only been on two interviews. I think a lot of it has to do with the area that you are located. The largest school district around here is not hiring at all. I have been to one interview at a public school and one at a private school. Both times I was passed over. I know how frustrated you are!

5. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jul 7, 2011

Have you posted your cover letter on here? I received a lot of helpful feedback when I posted mine last summer.

6. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 7, 2011

I've been on 15 interviews with 11 schools and I have no idea of my secret is. All of my friends have been on less than 4 interviews and are constantly asking me how, why, what am I doing and I honestly have no idea!

7. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 7, 2011

I really like the book "The Overnight Resume." Although it is not specific to just teacher resumes and cover letters, I love the set-up of the book. It gives alot of helpful hints and is relatively short for a resume writing book. After I read the book and changed things on my resume and cover letter, I got alot more interviews. You could try to check it out from your local library or get it through an interlibrary loan.
    It is true however, that everyone is having trouble right now and it might not have anything to do with how your resume and cover letter look. Perseverance is what is important!

8. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

I have posted my resume and cl on another teaching forum, changed it up.. still haven't gotten any more interviews.

I have also created a brochure in Photoshop that I send along with my resume.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2011

I went on 8 interviews in about a month. I'm not really sure why I got called so many times. I had to go to a state level interview first, where they gave you a rating. (I'm not sure what my rating was.) Then they give the principals a list of qualified applicants who are available in that school's area when they have an opening. I'm not sure what the principals see besides the rating, because they always asked for my resume right away when I got to the interviews. I think they probably saw certification status, and I probably got called so often because I was already certified here. They don't post any openings here-so everything goes through the State Department of Education.

10. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 7, 2011

Are you a brand-new teacher? That may be some of your problem. A few years ago when I was just starting out, it was A LOT harder to get interviews. This time around (laid off), I got tons of calls for interviews because I have more experience and more expertise.

11. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 7, 2011

After thinking about it- I don't think it has anything to do with my cover letter and resume... I have diverse experiences and have kept myself extremely busy. I have student teaching experience (5th), clinical experience (3rd and 7th science), volunteer experience (K-2, 3-8, 6th math/science), and work experience as a summer school aide (2nd and 4th). I think this is what possible sets me apart.

12. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 7, 2011

I have not had any interviews yet either. I will be a first year so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have student teaching and substitute experience. Plus I have volunteered as well.

13. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

I have tutoring, volunteer, student teaching, practicum, and pre-k teaching experience. Unfortunately, I think I get passed over because I have no "real" teaching experience.

14. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 7, 2011

I have had 8 interviews so far and 2 more scheduled. Last year I had 10 total from March-September. I think the difference this year is that I finally have a year of experience as a classroom teacher. I think other reasons I get interviewed are my masters, many certification areas (EC-8 generalist & 8-12 social studies), and my different experiences (student teaching, after school teacher, preschool sub, nanny/au pair for 3 families, and teaching assistant in grad school). I honestly don't think there is anything particularly great about my cover letter of resume. Plus, 5 of my interviews and 1 scheduled one are in the district I grew up and student taught in.

15. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

My first year, I didn't even have an interview until mid-July. Just keep trucking!

16. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

I am guessing at least one of your secrets is your wide certification (as opposed to us ECE certs) and the math and science portion.... or are most of your friends the same type of cert?

17. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

Whoops, just read this too. I think you have a great point there.

18. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

I think ECE/Pre-K is the most competitive of all. I haven't had any interviews this summer and I know my cover letter and resume are great. I think it just comes down to people with more district experience getting the calls as opposed to me having childcare experience. Then there are the extra competencies (ESL, bilingual, LBS1 etc) that I would love to tack on, but I don't have enough money to go back to school at this point. I guess what I'm saying is don't ever feel alone or as though you're doing something wrong. But if at all possible, go add some endorsements and you will get more calls.

19. lindsey923

lindsey923 Rookie

Jul 11, 2011

I am going to sincerely look into how much it would cost me. I. Need to look into something that doesn't require a "student teaching" because I can't afford an unpaid work experience.

20. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

I'm thinking more like taking an exam or a few classes. It depends on what cert you have and where you are though...