Those little incentive charts, how do you use them?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Jul 18, 2013.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2013

You know, they look like a note pad? You can put maybe 20 to 30 stickers on them. How, if you do, do you use them? For what? It just looks like it could get annoying having to have stickers placed on them each time. HW? Good Day with behavior?

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 18, 2013

I only use these for individual students who have their own special behavior plan. Way too much trouble to use with everyone in my opinion. I had an ADHD student one year who earned a sticker if he could make it for a certain period of time without talking out, etc.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2013

I used to use them when my students did multiplication tests. They got a sticker each time they passed a level.

5. Mr. Radiohead

Mr. Radiohead Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

I don't use incentives in my 5th grade classroom- unless its in a 504 or IEP. My classroom philosophy is pretty inline with The Dream Class found at this website. Intrinsic motivation over "teacher pays for good behavior".

http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2013

I used them with homework last year. I assigned all of the homework on Monday and it was due Friday. They got to put up a sticker for each assignment they brought back. I had a list of rewards they could choose from when they filled it up, but all picked lunch with the teacher. I didn't find it difficult to keep up with since it was only once a week. I had them taped to the door and I'd have students drop off homework as soon as they came in on Fridays. Then at the end of our weekly reading chapter test I'd call up a few students at a time to put up their stickers. We weren't allowed to have any consequence for not bring HW and it wasn't factored into their regular grades so it was good to have incentive for them to actually do it. By the end of the year I only had about 2 kids that weren't regularly bringing it back, and this was an inner city classroom where we were essentially told not to bother with HW because they'll never bring it back.