Those Large Gym Teachers....

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Mathemagician, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

Hell, according to my BMI, I could be the Governor of Ohio!

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

And I suppose my marriage is in trouble because I'm fairly thin????

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

Must be, Alice.

I guess I'm getting smarter, though, because my BMI is almost (1 pound) away from "overweight".

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

I wouldn't say obesity=ignorance, but there is some correlation. There are several articles on the subject, one of such located below. NOTE: This does not mean all obese people are ignorant; just many. Also, ignorance is not necessarily stupidity.

http://www.onefaceinamillion.com/obesity-in-america-result-of-ignorance/1435/

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

I'm wondering how some here judge their overweight students...sad really.:(

6. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

Typically by the pound, unless we're on metrics.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

And you wonder about the war on teachers...some bring it on themselves.

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

I judge my students with assessments and measures of mathematical ability. This isn't the issue; it's moreso an emotional appeal. I don't want someone who isn't physically fit teaching physical education. It's as simple as that. No one would take issue with someone saying illiterate people shouldn't teach English. I wouldn't judge someone who isn't good at math who teaches phys ed, but I would judge someone who isn't good at math who teaches it.

9. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 9, 2012

My thoughts exactly. I was considered obese in high school, and the only teachers I ever felt marginalized by were my gym teachers. But I wonder where I would be if the 3 most influential teachers in my life had judged me to be less capable because of what my weight was.

10. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

What, for a sense of humor?

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

I think people here are jumping to conclusions. When we say obesity and ignorance are correlated, it means simply that many obese people simply don't understand how many calories they should be consuming and what healthy choices are. Some know and simply don't care. Fine, but many are ignorant about how to live a healthy life. It's not thinking any less of them. It is a statement of fact.

12. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

BMI=(705)(W)/H2

It's in the test we give. H2 means height squared.

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

THANK YOU.

If you eat fast food regularly and don't know the implications to your health, you are ignorant. It's not an insult, it's just to say you don't know. If you know the implications of regular fast food consumption and continue anyway, then you aren't ignorant.

As for gaining weight in relationships, this is not some rogue opinion. If you aren't aware of this phenomenon in society, then I don't know what to say about that. I'm here to tell you that it does happen.

And if you're speaking about me czacza--What would you imagine is so "sad" about the way I look at (judge) my students. Do you think I hold prejudices against them? Do you think I make them run extra laps during PE? Do you think I put the fat kid at the back of the lunch line? Do I not give them the same attention because of their waistline? I will, if I'm around them at the time (snack/lunch), try to encourage them to eat better. If that's "judging", I'm guilty. I also judge bad readers, and try to encourage better reading habits.

14. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 9, 2012

I think the problem is your word choice. Like it or not, the underlying current in our society is that size determines worth. So, when some of us, who are a little heavier than they should be (for me, personally, 12 lb according to BMI) see generalizations about someone's worth (in this case PE teachers) being debated and determined by how they look in pictures by someone who easily throws around words like "fat", "obese" and "ignorance" in the same thought or group of thoughts, it's easy to be offended.

And, again, I think the word "fit" is subjective. Like I said previously, I can't do a push up. But, I run 5k three to four days a week. So, imagine I'm up for a job against another teacher. That teacher can do push ups all day long, but struggles to run 2k. I can run 5k easily, but can't do a push up. Who is more fit? I, personally, don't think there is a clear answer.

15. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

I agree and well said. I have to fight weight continually because I'm Type II Diabetic and if I didn't, I'd look like Michael Moore.

It IS a nationwide problem and a drain not only on the individual but our economy as a whole. Read the book "Crazymakers" if you want a research based tome on how the junk we eat also impacts our ability to think.

I agree completely with you sir, and if it sounds like I'm casting judgement on anyone for pointing out a fact and a problem, I am unconcerned.

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

I guess "uninformed" may be a better choice. I do hold this topic pretty close as I topped out to 250 lbs my sophomore year of college. I am 6' 2'', but it was still way too high. I was big throughout high school as well. Of course I was taught McDonalds is bad and exercise is good, but I was never really taught the keys to healthy living. I hated gym class because it was always just random sports...we never really even focused on healthy living. In any event, at the beginning of my sophomore year of college I was 250 as I said, and by the end of sophomore year I was 155 lbs (and still 6' 2'') just by moderation and exercise.That was my lowest, and I've maintained below 170 lbs every since.

Maybe my parents should've taught me better nutrition and health, but they did not. I taught it to myself. I don't blame the schools either, but I do think more should be done.

17. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

Nutrition and eating is key. The #1 weapon that kills most people per year in America is the fork. Drive by restaurants - even in this recession the parking lots are jammed. It's on our TV commercials.

Enough of that - back to nutrition. My sister is a former two time world champion bodybuilding/fitness champ and travels the world teaching fitness and nutrition is a major component. She's taught me a lot of good habits, but I'm nowhere near her and fall off the wagon a lot.

Again, I mentioned the book "Crazymakers." It's a real shocker at how poor nutrition leads to not only obesity but other negative impacts, up to and including learning/brain function. It's been some years since I read it but if I recall right, the author was a former teacher and nutrition expert.

I eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables and health stuff to the point I can't even choke down anything fried anymore. But this isn't about me other than I want to relay that if an imbecile like me who is dirt poor can do it, few people have an excuse. It's all about habits. You really do acquire a taste for things natural and raw that you'd never dream of eating - sushi rocks! But do your own research. It would behoove us all as educators to see not only the causes of obesity but how terrible eating habits impacts learning and behavior. It's astonishing!

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2012

I just calculated my BMI. According to that I'm overweight. Actually, for my frame & age, and according to my doctor my weight is fine.

19. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

I don't have an opinion on how PE teachers should be evaluated. Should they be required to do a little of what they're asking their students to do? Maybe.

Have you seen the US women's water polo team? (If you've watched any of NBC, then you've caught some of their games). The commentators have said that these women/men who play water polo have to be in tip top shape because of the stress that's required for the game. Given that statement, you would expect all the women on the team to look fit and healthy; however, there is one that does not and most people would consider her fat. However, to play the game, she has to be fit.

I work out 5 days a week, running and lifting weights; however, I couldn't do enough pushups to pass a fitness test. I just don't have the upper body strength.

21. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 9, 2012

And I agree - more needs to be done. There are too many kids who are inactive, with no interest in BEING active, and have poor eating habits. Too many of our kids are unhealthy. And I also agree with you that our PE teachers need to be qualified. But, I think that its a lot harder to measure qualified in PE than in other subjects. I think the factors are too varied.

And, size isn't necessarily an indicator of health. It can be, but it doesn't have to be. We need to move past the notion that the only way to be healthy is to be thin.

At my former school, we had an extended homeroom period once a week in which we could connect with our students. Many of us took that time to talk about things students weren't always connected to in other classes - team building, etc. A friend of mine decided to do a small unit on health with her group. She had her students take their resting heart rate. Then they did jumping jacks, then took their pulse again. One of her students, a very thin, lanky boy, had an atrocious heart rate. So much so that she felt compelled to mention it to guidance. The student admitted to her that he never exercised and frequently ate cookies for breakfast and lunch. But, to look at him, he was much thinner than his counterparts, whose heart rates were much better than his.

IMO, we need to be focussing on healthy vs unhealthy instead of fat vs thin. And, you can't always measure health by measuring a waistline.

22. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2012

Yuuuck. Sushi is not the answer. I will say I have been talking to my students this year about healthy eating habits and exercise. (yes i said this year, because this is the first week of school and it can't end soon enough, as a result, I'm home and on drink number 2).

I have never been the poster child for healthy living. I have been blessed with a wonderful metabolism. In the past I could eat whatever i wanted and I simply needed to eat to maintain my weight. If I went a day with eating less, I lost weight. There were even times I could go to bed and lose weight sleeping. Sadly as expected, age catches up with you and those days are over. I use to wish that I would gain weight so I would need to diet, I am there now. I am currently trying to lose weight so I can get back into some clothes I bought over a year ago. I don't want to buy new clothes, because I know that if I lose the stomach that I have gained (never had one of those before), I will fit in them again. I joined a gym, I'm counting calories, I'm being conscience of what I am eating and doing, and will lose the weight. I look in the mirror and those 15 pounds that were never there before, make me embarrassed and disappointed in myself. I find myself walking around in public and depending on the shirt I am wearing, sometimes I suck it in so that my shirt does not hang against my body.
    I know that some people have had a life long struggle with this issue (one I am new to), but we have to have people who set good examples for us to help motivate us. I have a co-worker who is in great shape. And by great shape I mean, D@MN she looks good, and she works out, eats well, and just is conscience about her health. Having worked closely with her last year started to get me a little more aware of what I needed to do.

To me, that is the role that P.E. teachers should have. Kids now a days have so many opportunities to learn and practice different sports outside of school. P.E. stands for physical education. Students need to be educated by a reliable resource on effective methods to healthy physical living. Not just, hey lets drop them off so they can go play for a while. P.E. should be about more than just playing each sport for a week or two at a time. What is more important, students learning how to play all of those sports, or learning how to live a healthy life?

23. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

Bob, I can tell you right now the last thing my kids (k-5) want me to do is make them sit somewhere and discuss how to live healthy.
    They have been sitting all morning or will after PE and this is the time to M O V E ..........I have these discussions on rainy days when we are stuck in a room but most of the time we find a exercise video and MOVE some more. I think it would go over more so in middle or HS.

24. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

While this may be true, I don't think we should base curriculum on what kids want you to do. Absolutely there should be physical activity, but I think just a 5 minute or so discussion each period would be beneficial.

25. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

I've been single so long now, that I probably should be lighter than a sheet of paper. Hurry up future husband wherever you are I'm about to fade away over here. :)

26. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 10, 2012

When I was looking for a job, I went school to school dropping off my resume. The first call I received was for a music position. With my EC-6 certification, I am certified to teach music. However, I am tone deaf and can not carry a tune to save my life. Needless to say I politely turned down the interview.

27. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2012

I'm overweight, but if you look at BMIs, it says I'm obese. But I'm more physically fit than most people I know. I'm actually going to run a half marathon on Saturday. I run 5-6 days a week, between 3 and 12 miles a day. BMI doesn't take into account a lot of things. It gets pretty old to have people assume I'm not in shape.

It's pretty frustrating when I go to the gym with one of my thin friends. She'll get comments from people who work there about how she's in shape, so she should try certain classes. Yet, she can't even run a mile. Appearances aren't everything.

28. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 10, 2012

I don't know what's wrong with seriously discussing an epidemic that's sweeping the nation. There's no doubt in my mind based on research I've done that (and it's no surprise) that there is a direct correlation to our mental abilities and what we ingest and that the stomach is really what dictates the abilities of our brain. The research is there.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

30. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 10, 2012

Who are you talking to? Because I haven't seen anyone say we shouldn't discuss it. I've seen people voice their own opinions - that generalizations aren't always true, that fitness can't always be measured by someone's physical appearance, that one's marital status cannot be used as a measure to determine size. I haven't yet seen anyone say that we should all be eating Big Macs on a daily basis, guzzling soda for breakfast, and avoiding physical activity at all costs. So...I'm not really sure who you're arguing with.

31. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 10, 2012

Where's the argument? It's fascinating research how the body functions in terms of nutrition. I'm simply hoping to inspire others to look into it as it may enhance our abilities as teachers. I got to teach guys who eat stuff I wouldn't feed my dog, and it has an impact as to what I'm up against.

32. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2012

93% of women wish they had a flat stomach, with 49% of women staying that their belly was the bit of their body they hated the most. However, this style guru argues that many men find a slightly protruding stomach sexy as it adds to womanly curves, which would support New Scientist findings.

Read more at Suite101: Which Women's Body Shape do Men Prefer?: Research Suggests that Larger Ladies Win Over a Size Zero | Suite101.com http://suite101.com/article/which-womens-body-shape-do-men-prefer-a191711#ixzz239GiDgBS

From that article. I just have to say, that word "slightly" in there could be quite misleading.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

Ummmm, that's the link I posted..:dizzy:

34. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2012

I know. I was just commenting on something from it.

35. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 10, 2012

While I think the OP's post is a little misguided in wording, I agree that P.E./Heath classes are missing out on a huge opportunity to educate our students.
    We've all said it several times that we are teaching our kids more than we ever should have because the home environment isn't. P.E. and Health are in that category too. And if we keep P.E. the way it was when I was in school (which isn't THAT long ago, I'm only 30), our obesity epidemic has the potential to continue. I remember my P.E. classes (and I've witnessed them doing the same things in my school now) focusing on competition and physical ability rather than life-long fun in fitness.

One thing that my school does that I LOVE is we have a Nutrition class for 1st, 3rd, and 5th grades for 6 weeks. And it's not boring lectures for them. The woman that comes in does lessons on reading labels, experiments with starches, talks about bacteria on food, and goes over the food plate. She even does a sugar in pop graph that shows the students how much sugar they drink in a year even if they only have one soda. She shows them how to calculate for the amount of soda they drink in a week... sometimes it's quite the experiment for me to see who drinks the most pop and who behaves the "most interesting." She also brings in healthy snacks and talks about portion sizes with the kids. She makes a dip with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a tablespoon of vanilla yogurt that's REALLY good!
    My only complaint is that this class is only one day a week for 6 weeks.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

I'm curious--our provincial Ministry of Education has specific expectations for Health and Physical Education at each grade level, just as for every subject area. At each grade level, the health curriculum includes topics under the umbrellas of: Understanding Health Concepts, Making Healthy Choices and Making Connections for Healthy Living. As well, we are mandated to provide a minimum of 20 minutes of physical activity each day that the students to not have Phys Ed class (and recess does not count). Do your districts have similar guidelines?

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

Yes, Ms C...in my state there is state curriculum for both health and PE...in my district. kids get 80 minutes of PE per week plus 30 minutes a day of recess. We have beautiful grounds for recess at my school...a big grassy field for running, ball games; blacktop for hopscotch, 4 square. bonzo; and a new playground...actually two playgrounds with equipment designed for the younger and older kids.:D

38. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 10, 2012

The human body was built to move, not be static. I note that my students who are the better students are the inmates who are into sports and bodybuilding. There's a direct correlation there. When I was a distance runner (ages 18 - 37) I did it more for my mind than anything else.

39. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 10, 2012

I was never heavily into sports, except riding. I rode a lot more in HS and didn't do as well. I was only riding one horse in college and did great. I'm sure some movement helps kids but I'm not sure everyone has to be an athlete. I think it goes back to the idea of trying to get 30 minutes of exercise at least 5 days/week.

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2012

I've never been an athlete, yet my grades were always high.

I'm healthy, but not an athlete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.