This will be a fun exercise!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Securis, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 23, 2012

So, we're doing this 'Secret Lover' thing where I work. I work alongside some younger adults but in order to fit in, participating in these little asides is kind of the thing to do.

So, the rules are, gifts everyday for the next week covertly placed in corresponding mailboxes. All together, the affair can cost no more than $10.00. Handicraft is expected but some money should be spent.

Here's the thing, I drew a name and I think it was a lucky draw because I actually like her. Now, subtly, I'd like to let her know that but in the realms of this game, these gestures have a public outcome. There will be a reveal at the end.

Anyways, here's my plan so far.

Today, I gave her a handmade necklace with an orange antique button as a pendant. Tomorrow, I intend to give her a piece of cobalt ore. The third day, I have a toy airplane. The fourth, something sweet. The fifth, quotes?. The sixth, I have already made a sculpy caterpillar that needs to be painted. The seventh, not sure. The eighth, flowers with a poem that expresses the meanings behind all the gifts.

So, any help would be appreciated.

I have received so far a simple card with roses are red, violets are blue and a large dark chocolate bar.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 23, 2012

Secret lover? Interesting...

4. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Feb 23, 2012

Man, that sounds really neat. I wish we had something like this going on at my work. We have lots of cuties. Oooh lordy.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2012

Is everyone partcipating...uh, available?

Sounds like a nice series of gifts. I'm curious about the airplane's meaning...

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2012

I think if you put that much effort into it, she will be very flattered.

On another note, this game sounds a bit odd. Typically, dating coworkers is frowned upon. I know this might not be the motive behind the game, but I wonder how admin. is okay with it. In any case, good luck!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2012

Okay, I just have to know more. Is it really called Secret Lover? Is the intent match-making? You just drew her name, right? So it could have been someone you didn't like?

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 23, 2012

We're not a school and while our levels of professionalism are impeccable, we get to operate on a less formal level because of the nature of the work we do and the setting in which we work.

And you are right, the point is not an actual motivation to date. However, that particular outcome might be very nice. For me, at least. I can not speak for the young lady.

9. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 23, 2012

Yes. It is. Secret Lover. But I think it could be called any number of things. Your earlier question, some are available and some are not. I just drew her name. I saw the names go in and I saw the drawings, I was near the middle. Yes, it could have been someone I didn't like but I like all these people casually. I haven't been here long enough to really get to know each of them well, yet. Humorously, it could have been a guy.

The intent is fun, not match-making. And since these are younger adults, you must imagine there is a slight element of inappropriateness that will occur. Nothing outrageous because, well, all the serious reasons you can imagine.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2012

Oh, thought you were an art teacher. Were you once?

Anyhow, thanks for th explanation. It's not something I would participate in, but it seems you did in fact get lucky. I hope she enjoys the gifts and is secretly hoping they're from you the whole time. :)

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 24, 2012

I was an art teacher and technically, still am. Now, I work at an NPO that deals in experiential learning for children with special needs as well as a variety of usergroups which may consist of schools, businesses, family groups, etc. And without attempting to be boastful, we're really good at our jobs.

12. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 26, 2012

Eh, it's been fun but found out she's not single after all. Innocent fun and then back to work as usual. :yawn: