This week....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l8ybugmom, Aug 1, 2010.

1. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 1, 2010

is going to be hard. School starts this week for both the county and city in my area. I remember last year watching the buses picking up kids and being so sad....well not even sad but depressed and crying. I know that I can be hired even after the school year starts because I was last year in September.

I know I'm not alone. I just cannot believe that this is happening. I have applied to jobs outside of education. So far no call backs for those either. :( Let's hope this week is a great week for all of us jobseekers!!

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

I felt the same way every year when I was job searching. I know it's a terrible feeling. :hugs:

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2010

I'm so sorry, l8ybugmom.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

:hugs: l8ybug. I know how you feel. Even though I have a job as an aide...I was looking forward to going to the part of new hire orientation that dealt with actual teaching. :(

6. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 1, 2010

I know the feeling as well. Chin up, keep on, things will turn for the best soon. Sending you hugs....

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 1, 2010

Thanks, Guys! Like I said I know I'm not the only one who will feel this way the week school starts. :( I'm just hoping some of us, if not all of us, hear good news!

8. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I have been thinking about you! I am crossing everything and hoping some great news comes your way soon. I know how it feels though. I dreaded this week last year when I watched the bus roll away and I was still on the sidewalk. :(

You've got tons of us rooting for you!!

9. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 2, 2010

Thank you, MommyS....I should have wished all of the new hires who will be starting to work this week...Good luck!!! :)

10. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

I feel so bad for you l*ybug but I know good things are coming for you. Keep your chin up and keep the job search going. Good luck :)

11. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

I'm sorry l8ybug! :( I hope something does work out for you. I remember you saying this same thing around this time last year and you ended up getting a position. So I hope history repeats itself for you!!

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 2, 2010

I know how you feel. My first year out of school I didn't get a teaching position, but I was working at an after school program at the time. I was the bus monitor who was responsible for picking the kids up at their schools to bring them to the daycare and I practically cried walking into the schools and seeing all the excitement of the first day. :( It's hard when all you want is your own classroom.

Good luck finding a position!! It's definitely not too late to find something for this year!

13. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 2, 2010

Thanks ya'll! :) I'm hoping...well you know what I'm hoping! :)

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

Crossing my fingers for you!

15. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 2, 2010

I applied for five different positions so I'm hoping! :)

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2010

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 2, 2010

thanks SCT...How have you been???

18. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

Are you going to be subbing this year until you hear of another position?

19. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 2, 2010

No I can't sub. I am going through a divorce so I have to get a full time position with benefits. :(

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 3, 2010

But what about getting a part time that GIVES benefits and then sub during the day to keep your foot in.

My grocery store pays benefits for part time...Starbucks does... you can find one. Maybe?

And BTW...sorry about the divorce.

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 3, 2010

Awww... Ladybug. You know what you are wonderful. There IS a job out there and it does have your name on it. Can you go the private/charter school route? There are so many wonderful ones out there. And what about child care facilities? I know the pay is lousy. Pulling for you!

22. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 3, 2010

McKenna...Thanks and good idea. I'll check into it. Because right now something is better than nothing.

I got a rejection from a daycare. I applied to be an assistant director. No word on interviews...going on my fifth week of no intervies...school starts back tomorrow but the good thing is it is only a half day then no school for two days and full time next week...Still hoping!

23. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 3, 2010

I DO remember the feeling of the school buses the first few days of school...and getting REALLY mad at them (as if THEY were the ones who denied me of my career). It's a VERY sad time for unemployed teachers.

I have only had one interview this summer and 2 offers for interviews (the second I didn't take because I had to teach summer school - hey, it was a paying gig! Plus I ended up in the hospital for a week a week after the request - thought it was a heart attack, and found out it was arthrits in my lower neck and a herniated disc that was pressing down on the nerve that shot down my left arm.) VERY VERY slow this summer. I am REALLY looking for LTS/maternity leaves and Aides...but will stick with adding a few extra districts to my subbing list (HOPING to get a subbing job nearly every day).

I think what i will do for subbing is to ask the secretaries (around lunch time) if they/the school will be in need of any subs for the next day. IN one district that is how they hire most of their subs...offering the jobs to the subs in the building the day before.

No matter WHAT you end up doing this year, my friend, I wish you well.

24. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 4, 2010

Thanks again, McKenna! Sorry to hear about your health problems. Are you ok now?

Here's hoping to we both get great jobs. I remember the struggle you had last year. You've been quiet this year and I guess so with everything going on.

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 4, 2010

l8ybugmom - sent you a pm. Just wanted you to know that I care.:hugs:

26. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 4, 2010

SCT, Thank you....

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 4, 2010

Anytime friend! :love:

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2010

What happened to the job you were hired to in September? Any hopes of something opening there? Are you on sub lists?

29. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 4, 2010

I was non renewed and was not given a reason why. They are not laying off teachers in my area. This is something I think about regularly...Why? I may never know. It just stinks because I know I have gave my students 110% and sacrificed my time with own family last year. :(

30. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 4, 2010

When I was laid off from my first position back in February, I was just heart broken and it was for the same reason as above, just like you. Teachers give so much and then we're just let go of the school community as if its not a big deal.

But I'm sure some of your students will remember the lessons you taught them, the stories you shared with them, and everything else you showed them to help them be better people.

I don't think any of us would look back over the past and then regret giving as much as we did--- instead we just need to continue to look at the future and realize we'd continue on giving that much of ourselves because that is what a teacher does. :hugs:

31. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Aug 4, 2010

Well said, BioAngel.

l8ybug...:hugs:

This is my second summer of job searching. I wish I knew something to say to make it better for both of us. For some reason, in my situation, I keep thinking about the Serenity prayer.

I think McKenna has good advice. Even one day a week in the classroom may help. Although my district doesn't include subbing as teaching experience on their application, it is a great way to meet teachers and principals. It's not (by far) my first choice of jobs in the classroom, but it still keeps me in the schools. And there are still those moments that I absolutely adore...

32. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Aug 6, 2010

*hugs encouragingly* Things have to look up from here. Prayers will be going up for all those in your shoes.