This was going to be a story of inspiration

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BerniceBobs, Oct 29, 2008.

1. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

I was gearing up to share with you all a success story in order to provide a voice of inspiration, but alas, this turned into yet another woe-is-me tale.
    A few weeks ago, I went to a substitute seminar which was basically full of the same old worthless advice. But what made it worthwhile is that I met a woman who was a long term sub for middle school English.
    She didn't have a degree in English, and she had no interest in the subject and wanted out. The permanent teacher, who has tenure, never showed up for class, therefore, human resources could not post this job yet. I told this woman I would love to take over her class, and she was thrilled to pass me the baton as she wanted out. This woman told the principal about me, and I emailed her about the possibility of becoming the new long term sub.
    I met with the principal and the VP and it went really well. They loved that I had single subject credential and a master's degree. Moreover, they loved my lesson plans and found them to be creative and engaging. They told me they would like me to start right away and said that this position would eventually become a permanent one because the tenured teacher indicated she would not come back. The principal made it clear that I had the job.
    I was thrilled. I was going to come in here and encourage you all to talk to other substitute teachers and make those contacts! I was going to come in here and tell you when you least expect it, it will happen for you too.
    Two days ago the principal emailed me and wrote that she couldn't get back to me as to whether I got the job or not because they were in the process of interviewing candidates. I was supposed to start teaching yesterday and begin the transition process with the departing sub.
    It's clear this was her way of telling me I did not get the job.
    I am not sure what happened, but I feel completely demoralized, dejected and depressed. I am not one to count my chickens before they hatch, but I really thought this was it.

3. Mathfan

Mathfan Rookie

Oct 29, 2008

I'm sorry to hear this. Could it be that maybe the tenure teacher is planning to take back her position?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2008

I am sorry to hear this. :hugs: Could it be that they are just interviewing other candidates because they have to, but that they will still offer you the job? Is that LTS still subbing until they interview all candidates?

5. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

Is there a way you could email the principal back and ask to meet with her? It makes no sense what happened. I wonder if they have to interview other candidates.

6. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

The current long term sub wants out fast as she is going crazy.
    She does not know what happened as she thought they were going to give the job to me.
    I emailed and phoned the principal and asked for a second interview. Our first interview was so informal, I thought a more formal one would behoove us all. She never got back to me.

Thank you for your input. I feel completely demoralized by this.
    I had actually ordered up some literary posters and wall hangings for the classroom which looked so blank and sad to me.
    I should not have allowed my hopes to get so high until I saw my name on the dotted line.
    Oh well.

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2008

I am sorry that you have to go thru this, maybe the interview process is just a formality

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

Thanks guys. I really love this forum because it gives one an opportunity to vent and no one comes down on one for doing so.
    I think it's because you all understand.

9. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Oct 29, 2008

Whenever I don't get a particular job, I am always paranoid about my reference checks.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2008

I am so sorry this happened to you! :( I've started never believing ANYTHING a principal says. They are basically little politicians.

11. carriebr25

carriebr25 Rookie

Oct 30, 2008

sorry

This exact same thing happened to me. Told by the principle the job was mine if I wanted it and wham got a call saying they had chosen another candidate! What! I think if it was solely up to the principal you (and I) would have been given the job, but I think (in my case) it went up the ladder and someone else knew someone who said no, give the job to so and so. I just figure everything happens for a reason and if it is too easy then something is not right.

Hang in there!

12. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Oct 31, 2008

Thank you everybody, I am sorry something similar happened to you too Carrie.
    I am so mad right now I could spit bullets. I just looked and saw that the long term sub job has been posted on their website. Huh? Nice of the principal to let me know. I was supposed to have started last week.
    Meanwhile, I have been waiting for a response from the principal who promised me this job. Why do I not rate a response?
    I am not just mad for me, but for all of you who go to all the trouble to get in the paperwork, conduct all the research, prepare a lesson plan for the interview, dress up for the interview and then send in the obligatory thank you notes for granting the interview, and only to be left hanging without nary a response as to whether or not we got the job.

13. carriebr25

carriebr25 Rookie

Oct 31, 2008

YES! I think that is what upset me the most.....the way the whole thing was handled. We are all adults, just call me up and say "Carrie, I am so sorry, but a better/more qualified candidate came along, blah, blah" Not just that stupid phone call of "your interview was awesome, but we went with another candidate" then obviously the interview wasn't that awesome.