THIS type of kid....

Discussion in 'High School' started by Silmarienne, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Nov 9, 2012

I have a couple of boys who do the same thing. I see them talking, I tell them to stop (or just say their name) and they begin arguing that they weren't talking; to the point where it actually becomes more of a problem-- I end up having to tell them "Stop talking NOW" so the class can move on.

These are good kids and the "arguing" is NOT combative-- they just feel they need it to be "fair" because they genuinely don't see what they are doing as disruptive. (rolls eyes)

Anyway, how do I make it stop NOW, not lead into a discussion?? Thanks. :unsure:

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 9, 2012

Have you tried dealing with them in a non-public way? For instance, as you circle the room, if you see them talking, just walk casually toward them and tap on their desk without looking down at them, or see if you can catch their eye contact and give them a teacher look.

You may have to quietly walk over there, as you check work with other students, and lean down and whisper to them to please end their conversation.

If it is still a problem have a talk with one or both after class and tell them matter of factly that their behavior is inappropriate in the classroom and disrespectful to your goal of teaching all the students and that you need it to stop.

A lot of the reason that students get into the "arguing" is because when you publicly call them out they feel the need to save face by arguing back. If you simply discreetly inform them and immediately leave, or simply stand by their desk while teaching they'll stop. They don't want you to go further.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2012

When I tell a kid to be quiet and they say "but I wasn't talking" I'll say "But you are now, so cut it out"

That usually ends the conversation.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2012

Maybe instead of saying a name, make a more blanket statement to the class. You could also just stop talking and look at the class until it is quiet.

Maybe keep tallies on the board each time someone talks out of turn.

6. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Nov 9, 2012

It takes two to argue. I don't argue with students. If a child disagrees with me, I simply give my direction again, and walk away. And I move on. They might not like that, but that's ok.

When they are talking, I'll try not to call them out in front of their peers. I'll put my fingers to my lips, or quietly ask them to be quiet, or address the class as a whole.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 9, 2012

Sometimes I just go "pst!" and when they look at me I just shake my head slowly, as in saying no, stop. No mention of names, not really bringing a lot of attention to them and not accusing them of talking. They know what they're doing. I almost never get a problem with this, most of the time they say they're sorry, they hold up their hands as in saying 'ok, I stop", or they just stop.

I also noticed that a lot of time when students talk about the material, and not off topic stuff, they don't consider it wrong, and sometimes they want to argue about that.

8. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Nov 21, 2012

The problem is when I am instructing and they are talking-- so even if I go back and talk to them, everyone will be watching. Also I don't argue back, but I just want the noise to stop... and yes I am usually humorous and say "but you're talking now". I was hoping someone had the ultimate comeback. I do find talking to them privately and explaining why it;s a problem is helpful.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 21, 2012

I would talk to them after class. Explain what you are seeing. Give them 3 sticky notes each class period. If they begin to talk, remove a sticky from their desk. They will already know this means to stop talking. You will not say a word. Do this each time you see one of them talking. When you have all three stickies explain the consequence. This can either be a parent call or a write up. You no longer confront them verbally and they know the removal of the sticky means to cease and desist without any verbal exchange. Each student will have three stickies. If you have to remove one from all three desks, do it. They will get the message much faster and you no longer have a verbal meeting. No words need to be exchanged. :):)

10. JessicaKellin

JessicaKellin Rookie

Feb 15, 2013

I have a few students like this and I agree - talk to them after class. Tell them, "If I say your name or ask you to stop talking - it's because you were talking. In arguing me you are both disrespecting me and accusing me of lying. In the future, if I ask you to stop talking - just do it. If you think it is unfair, see me *after* class to discuss this." This worked on my kids.

If they're belligerent or argumentative at this point, tell them that you'd be happy to have their parents or administrators in to observe the class.

11. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Feb 15, 2013

Try this: "Get out of my room..............Now!"

:cool:

12. Miss MA

Miss MA Rookie

Feb 24, 2013

I agree. Get out, now.

How have you long-term teachers stood this for so long? Why do we have to come up with "entertainment" and little devices to keep the little darlings engaged? It's very annoying. I am an old person trying to teach high school for the first time. If I make it to the end of this year I won't be back next year. I can't believe the hand-holding that has to go on with these spoiled kids. I know my attitude is terrible, so fire away, but honestly. Just sit down, learn if you want but be quiet in any case so anyone else who wants to can listen and work.

The wrong people are definitely in charge of things these days.

13. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Feb 24, 2013

I actually do this to a couple of students who are constantly interrupting, especially during class read-alouds. It's frustrating to have to stop in the middle of reading a really great piece of children's literature...it throws the students off, it throws me off, and it's incredibly disrespectful. I have been known to tell students to get out of my classroom and that they can come back when they choose to be respectful. I'm not letting one child ruin the learning experience for the rest of my class.

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Feb 24, 2013

A wonderful veteran teacher at my school has a great "one-liner" for situations like this...

"I don't need an argument, I just need a change in behavior"

She says it in a calm, quiet way and moves on to the next task immediately. Whenever I've seen her use it, it works like a charm!

15. MrMath

MrMath Rookie

Feb 28, 2013

I agree with Peregrin5 about the private conversation, but you shouldn't be giving them demands. Instead explain your reasoning to them and see if they comply. If they do not, simply send them off onto the disciplinary chain.