This student should find a an alternate setting. Am I wrong?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Aug 29, 2018.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Aug 29, 2018

So, I found out today that I have a student with an auto-immune disorder. His accomodations are very extensive--sanitized seating area and supplies daily, must only work with one other child in a group setting, and must always be that same child, cannot move to an alternate location (i.e. library, relocated room, assembly) without prior sanitization of area (if this cannot be provided, I must find someone who can monitor the child while I am with my other students), modification of assignments for mastery (this is an AP class), no tests or quizzes after certain medical treatments for up to a week, no tests or quizzes after missing more than two days for at least two weeks, must have an air purifier in the class (don't know if I have to provide that yet), if other students are sick in the classroom, or appear sick, must be isolated--these are just the ones I remember. I have looked at his past grades and test scores, he is a low B student in Honors courses, probably due to his multiple absences--he's absent at least 8-10 days a month (at least last year).

I believe this student has a right to an education, but should it be at the expense of myself and the other students in the class. And this student as well. Isn't this why programs like K-12 Online and Connections Academy were created? To allow children, who for whatever reason don't work in the public schools, to still have opportunity for an education?

Am I wrong in feeling like this parent is expecting too much of me and my other students to bend over backwards for this child? How is this child going to function in the world where people will not sanitize for him, etc.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 29, 2018

No, you are not wrong. But, it is highly unlikely that you'll win that fight.

I do believe that all children deserve an education. But not at the expense of other children. And I would be very uncomfortable being responsible for his health in these situations.

I would have to prepare for the child to be gone every day. And then if I suspected there was a remote chance that anyone in the room could be harboring any pathogens, I would send him to the nurse.

And to force a child to sit next to him all year? That's not fair to the other child. What if sick kid is also a jerk? Why should that one student be forced to sit next to him forever just because he was chosen at the start? Other students should NEVER be part of a student's IEP/504/EAP.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2018

What's the rationale for only working with one other child?

I would not provide the air purifier. The parents can or the school can. I think the school is expecting too much of you. If you are forced to sanitize supplies every day...well that isn't your job.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2018

the child study team should be providing a para to monitor the student’s needs, wipe down areas, etc. admin needs to set up coverage for when your class goes to preps. School nurse should be monitoring the whole other students out and re entering situation.

futuremathsprof, a2z and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2018

I agree that this student belongs in another setting. You cannot guarantee that the germs will not enter your room via anyone who walks in the room, You should not have to supply any items for his sanitation. Whatever he needs should be supplied by the parents or school district.

I think you need to push this one up the chain of command.

7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 29, 2018

I wouldn't be comfortable with that. I would be having a talk with last year's teacher to see how they handled it, as well as with my supervisor and the CST to see what can realistically be done.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 29, 2018

keep coming back to this...

What are you supposed to do in the event of a fire/fire drill? How could you possible pre-sanitize the area outside where you are staged?

How is it fair to the other student to only be in a group of two when others are working in larger groups?

What happens if the student misses the last weeks of class? Does he get an incomplete until he can make up his tests?

What does modification for mastery look like?

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 29, 2018

I think "only working with one other child" means if there is any interaction with other students, lie pair work, or group work, then it's only one other child. Probably so that he's really only exposed to one kid's germs and maybe it means less chances of problems? But i don't think this means he's forced to interact with that one child all the time.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 29, 2018

How old is this student? That can make a difference.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 29, 2018

Has to be HS, because of mention of Honor's and AP classes.

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2018

It seems unfair to the other child who never gets to choose another partner during partner work.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 29, 2018

true