This should be interesting

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2010

Court says parents can force schools to provide PE

In most CA schools, there are no Elementary PE teachers. It's up to the classroom teacher. And in many schools, especially low scoring ones, an emphasis on test scores has led to teachers being effectively prohibited from teaching anything except reading and math.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2010

Interesting that it places the emphasis on the parents forcing the issue, instead of on the districts being forced because of the law.

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 5, 2010

It's sad. I wish those parents much luck. In the low-scoring school I was in, one teacher kept the kids in from PE for a month (could have been longer) to increase test scores. I understand her frustration because there was not enough time in the day and we were already super crammed.

The thought crossed my mind to do the same, then I remembered my teaching philosophy, which I will remain true to, and when it's time for PE I will not not drill the kids on Math, they will be kids and get the 30 minutes of PE. I just can't subscribe to what many districts and teachers are doing in the name of test scores.

5. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Dec 5, 2010

Our school policy is that we are not allowed to pull our students out of enrichment to catch up on work or learn a concept. We rotate enrichment, so my students only get P.E. every so many days and I hate that. I think my students need the chance to be kids and to run and get rid of some energy. But on the other hand they need to learn their material as well!

6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2010

This is what you get when idiots run the schools. Keeping children inside w/o any physical-social activity is a recipe for misery.
    I remember about 12 years ago sitting for like 2-3 hours in an inservice thinking "imagine what its like to be 8 or 10 years old doing this EVERYDAY". Plain stupidity. My Title One school has made an A six of the last 7 years and PE is integral to the school. They get it each day. Research shows they need that
    physical time. COMMON SENSE should dictate it. And dont get me started on music and art. We do kids no favors demanding pencil and paper activity all day long. Balance and variety will keep kids interested in their education. Instead we think schooling should mean you can pass some annual tests bubbling in answers,.............................:dizzy:

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2010

At my school, the students have Phys Ed only twice a week (the timetable will only accommodate so many classes in the gym). However, on the days when they don't have Phys Ed, they have a minimum of 20 minutes "vigorous activity" in the classroom (dancing, cardio, etc). Our students also have 70 minutes of recess a day.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 6, 2010

Not only that but if you are like me, I am not a physically inclined person. Asking me to become the PE teacher will result in minimal motivation. It won't be because I don't believe the kids deserve it. It's because it is not in my realm of thinking when I went after my education degree and what a classroom teacher is supposed to be doing. Then again, even as an aide, I was lackluster at recess but dynamo at word study. I couldn't teach drama either. I barely survive crafts. If I had to teach the art of actually drawing, etc. I couldn't do it. So if you have teachers out there that are stressed about the tests and not at all physically inclined, I can see where the excuse would win out even over common sense that the kids really do need it.

*I do provide movement activities to K students. I even have movement cards. I don't do well with PE and recess games though.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 6, 2010

Our children have PE everyday for 30 minutes, plus two recess for my class and kindergarten. Every other grade has one recess.

10. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

We have mandated 30 minutes of activity everyday. It doesn't have to be PE just movement. That's on top of PE which happens two to three times a week.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 6, 2010

Here they have 30 minutes of recess a day and gym once a week