This really bums me out

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 6, 2013

I start everyday positive and as a clean slate. I honestly do because I really want to be a teacher. It usually changes within the first few hours with an unexpected meeting, e-mail from my P, some new paperwork we need to do that's due by the end of the day, a discipline issue, or a note from a parent. Today, for example, was flowing pretty well. Until a kid got mad because I reprimanded him and went to a full-on meltdown. Yelling and screaming at the top of his lungs, trying to argue with me, growling, etc. :( OMG. Long day. DS and I got ice cream on the way home, lol.

Beth

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

:hugs:

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

All you can do is your best. A kid melting down because of your redirection can be draining but if it's a common occurrence of the kid not dealing well you will want to document.

Examine your practices. We all have areas in which to improve....but you also need to know your limits and let go of that which you can not control.

5. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Nov 6, 2013

Sorry you had a rough day :hugs: Hope the rest of the week is much better! Do you get a long weekend for Veterans' Day?

6. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 6, 2013

No. Our next break is T-giving, Wednesday - Friday. :(

7. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Nov 6, 2013

I just tell myself every day that the day isn't going to go as perfectly as I imagine it will. I guess you could say I brace myself.:eek:

Also, when paperwork or whatever come my way during the day, I clip it on a clipboard and put it in the basket with the other clipboards. That way I know where it is, but it is out of my way. At the end of the day I tackle the clipboards. Usually the paperwork doesn't seem as overwhelming at the end of the day because I haven't shuffled it all over my desk all day. By afternoon I have basically forgotten about it and it seems minor.

Also, try laughing about the craziness. Think how boring our jobs would be without the craziness of it all.

When a kid has a meltdown just let it go. Being upset isn't going to change the situation. That meltdown is the child's problem, not yours. Take a deep breath and let them get over it.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 6, 2013

Beth, you are right it is difficult to go from the beginning to the end of the day without some kind of problem. I like your idea of beginning the day with a positive clean slate. I do one more that I find makes me a bit calmer. I put a sticky note with a 5 on it and place it on my desk. When something bad happens such as getting paper work in my mail box saying it is due today, I go over to the sticky note and cross off the 5 and make it a 4. I try to have the strength to face 5 problems in a day. It doesn't take away problems, but it has made it easier and more enjoyable to teach each day.:)

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 6, 2013

Beth, did you get your school report card today? Did it depress you?

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2013

Sorry it was a rough day. Hugs to you.

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 6, 2013

This interests me. I thought every school gets Veteran's Day off, considering it's a Federal holiday. *scratches head*

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 6, 2013

We got the official report today, but we saw the "unofficial" official report last week. We are a C+, with our lowest scores in science and writing. Our P made a big deal about how other schools' writing scores were better than ours and how that dragged our score down. I'm not saying our writing scores were great; however, most of the state struggled with writing this year because they were scored differently than in years past. Anyway, when the official report came out today, I was looking at other schools' writing grades for our area. Out of 11 schools in our area, our school and one other were the only ones to passed. :rolleyes:

So, yeah, kind of depressed me, but it happened after the meltdown. It just kind of gave me the feeling of no matter what I do it won't be enough.

The kiddo with the meltdown just really, IDK, made me go, "WTH?" I've never seen a kid throw that big of a fit. Ever. Even in PreK. :eek:

13. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 6, 2013

We don't get any Federal holidays off.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

Nah.

In my state, we sometimes "swap" regular federal holidays for state holidays.

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 6, 2013

We scored a B. We are a pre-K -3rd grade building. The special education students being tested without modification is ridiculous. Our state dentist needs to be kicked out of office.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 6, 2013

I'm trying to be really mellow at work and just roll with the punches. Everyday will come with SOMETHING, but to be honest that's why I love this job. I don't take things personally (or at least try not to...), which makes it a lot easier to keep a cool head about it. And when I leave at 4:30, I don't bring it home. It will be waiting for me the next morning, sure enough. ;)

17. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 6, 2013

The only days we get off are our regular breaks - Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Fall Break, Spring Break. We don't get out any other days.

You are soooo right! I heard a really good blog post a couple of weeks ago. It's written by a teacher who compared teaching and the A-F scale to being a dentist. The jest was it's comparable to dentists being "graded" on how many cavities their patients have, if they floss and brush at home, etc. Nothing that really hasn't been said before, but he went on to compare it to a lot of different things. Wish I could remember his name or something so that I could find it because it was spot on.

Beth

18. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Nov 7, 2013

We don't have Veteran's Day or Columbus Day off either. Do you get paid for federal holidays?

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 7, 2013

We don't either but we get extra days off added to Thanksgiving and Winter break.

I know what you mean about starting each day fresh. Sometimes I get to work early to do stuff and avoid my email or going down to the office because I KNOW I will hear/read something that will just ruin my day! Nothing can beat the "news" I got Tuesday about a student...I was up half the night worrying about the extra work that was being given to me BUT the next day I talked to someone about it and solved about 75% of the problem so I am certain the rest of the week will go MUCH better!

20. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 7, 2013

Not sure if we get paid, as I get paid the same amount each month, regardless of the days off in it. They have my annual salary and divide it by 11 (I don't get paid for July).

We don't get Columbus Day off (even though most banks I know get it off).

21. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Nov 7, 2013

We don't either.

22. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Nov 7, 2013

Bella, no day is perfect. But I know how easy it is to have a day of twenty wonderful moments and yet can only remember that one bad one. (They say the same thing is true of reviews!)

Children are unpredictable, that is for darn sure!

But really, I would find little ways to relax during the day. A mug of tea? A stress ball? A moment somewhere quiet to collect yourself? It sounds silly but those little things can really make a difference :)

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 7, 2013

I don't think I ever got Veteran's Day or Columbus Day off as a child. My dad worked for a bank & I remember thinking it's not fair that he got the day off & I didn't. I haven't gotten those days off as an adult either.

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 7, 2013

I used to have the Serenity Prayer taped to my lesson plan clipboard. The only thing on that clipboard was that week's lesson plans and the Serenity Prayer. Serenity was my word I would use throughout the day to remain calm. That & a mental picture of my happy place.