This question is for anyone teaching in North Carolina

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by STUDENTTEACHING, Apr 10, 2006.

1. STUDENTTEACHING

STUDENTTEACHING Rookie

Apr 10, 2006

I plan to move to NC after I get my Master's degree, my question is, do you even need a Master's in NC? In New York, it is required that you get your Master's in three years. I've heard from people that some states don't require a Master's, while some will pay for it. Do you need it within a certain amount of time to teach in NC, or do you not need it at all? IF it is required, do they pay for it?

How is it teaching in NC? I've heard it is much less competitive, the interview process is nothing like what it is in NY (three to four interviews, panel interviews with the superintendent, the board of ed, teachers, PTA, parents, etc.)

I appreciate any help that you can give me, as I plan to start looking at schools for Master's degrees, but I'm wondering if I even need to do that. i researched numerous sites online and say nothing about a Master's Degree being needed but I just wanted to make sure. The pay in NC is lower than it is in NY, and with a Master's it's on 4,000 dollars a year more.

Thank you for your answer, I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

3. MMATH

MMATH New Member

Apr 11, 2006

Nc Teacher

1. I Teach In NC
    2. No Masters Required But More Money If You Have One
    3. Interviewed By The Principals and Department Heads
    4. Must Pass The Praxis In Your Subject Area
    5. Larger Cities Pay More Money...Charlotte, NC For Example... Supplement Payed Monthly
    6. Must Become A Tarheel ...and a UNC Fan...GO HEELS :)
    7. Must Learn To Say "Down Yonder"
    8. I am retiring next year..
    9. You Can Have My Job....
    10 Teaching In NC Has Been Great!
    11. Need Math and Science Teachers!!!
    12. Visit NCDPI website...Great Site for new teachers

4. STUDENTTEACHING

STUDENTTEACHING Rookie

Apr 11, 2006

Wow thank you so much for that response! My aunt and uncle are moving to Ashboro (sp?) or some place near there in the summer. I don't know where that is in relation to Charlotte. I assume any of the big cities pay more than the list that I saw online?

I'm taking all of my state certification exams here, but i know that i still have to take that praxi test there, but I think we have a year after becoming a new teacher to take it right?

Thank you so much, and yes I do have to lose my Long Island accent don't I? :)

Anyone else an elementary school teacher in NC that would like to tell me about it? Is there a huge need for elem. school teachers?

Thanks again!

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2006

I'm betting the Demon Deacons, Wolfpack, and Blue Devils
    would argue that point. But so much for hype and coach of
    the year. GO GATORS...................:angel:

6. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Apr 11, 2006

I teach in elementary in NC, also from NY but a much smaller town:) They are always in need of elementary teachers. There are job fairs going on everywhere - my county has two before the end of the school year, but even then they hire people right before school starts also. They would rather have people nationally board certified than with a master's is what everyone tells me. Most counties will pay for the test expenses and a day or two off to study for that also when the time comes. It is much cheaper to get your master's degree here also, and if you are a teacher most schools will wave the 1 year residency requirement. A lot of schools will reimburse you a certain amount per class once you've gotten your degree also. The teaching here is alright, but I think it depends on the principal you get. The interviews here are usually with just the principal, but sometimes you may have the teachers from the grade you are interviewing for sit in. (That has only happened to me once so far.) The pay is lower, but the cost of living is also lower - and the weather is much nicer. I HATE SNOW!

7. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Apr 11, 2006

Try to take the Praxis tests before you come down - they are offered in NY - many schools give you a sign on bonus (Anywhere from $1K to at least $4500) if you are highly qualified/fully certified to teach here.

8. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Apr 11, 2006

I teach in CMS with a masters degree so I get paid a lil more.

And I agree GO GATORS!

9. MMATH

MMATH New Member

Apr 11, 2006

Asheboro

Wonderful Town..close To Greensboro And Winston Salem And High Point..beautiful City

10. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Apr 11, 2006

Over here in the Western Carolina mountains we are definitely in need of elementary teachers. Our school would offer a position to a qualified teacher in a heartbeat! We are a charter school outside of Asheville. Several people I know are taking masters online at University of Phoenix cram course. I agree with the comment that most schools would rather have national board certified here than Masters.

11. STUDENTTEACHING

STUDENTTEACHING Rookie

Apr 11, 2006

Thank you all for your posts! I have printed them out to save them to use as a reference later on.

As a guy I probably will have an easier time being hired since all I keep hearing is that more male teachers are needed in Elementary schools. For anyone that has recently been interviewed down there, what kinds of questions do they ask? Do they look at your portfolio?

Also, here in NY, there are so many tests that the children have to take, state tests in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grades that they have to take to meet the state requirements. Teachers here have to teach to the tests, teach how to take tests, and are evaluated and judged based on how their classes do. Does NC have a million state tests that they children have to take? I know NY is one of few states that do that. It would be great to not have the pressure of teaching to state exams.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful information and continued info. Who knows maybe I'll run into some of you later on.

12. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Apr 12, 2006

Most schools I have interviewed with here have looked at my portfolio. I can't remember a lot of interview questions, but I know most are concerned around literacy stations and teaching writing. In fourth grade, students must pass the writing test - but if they don't, they retake it in 5th grade. There are end-of-grade tests that MUST be passed in 3rd, 5th, and 8th grade. I teach third and we have a test every 9 weeks, plus we had a pre-test at the beginning of the year. The tests at the end of the first 3 nine-week periods are just to see where they are at and what you need to review with them. The other grades also have tests every 9 weeks, including kindergarten, but they can still pass the grade even if they don't do well. In those grades, it's usually up to the parents if they move on or not.

I just had an email from teachers-teachers.com this morning that Ashboro is hiring for two positions at this time of year to finish out the year:) It's usually my county I see on there!

13. STUDENTTEACHING

STUDENTTEACHING Rookie

Apr 12, 2006

Thanks for that.

Literacy stations? I know about guided reading, that's a HUGE thing up here. I'm not familiar with literacy stations, what do they mean about that?

Teaching writing doesn't sound hard though.

I won't be moving for at least a year or two, but thought it's never too early to start investigating. Thanks again

14. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Apr 12, 2006

In the county I'm in, we do literacy stations 4 days/week. Our literacy block is an hour and a half long each day. On the days with stations, we have a half hour whole group time, then 4 - 15 minute stations - guided reading, vocabulary, spelling, and comprehension. The children have differentiated activities to work on in those stations based on their reading levels.

Marzano's question stems are also big down here. I had never heard of those when I was in NY. Hope this helps!

15. STUDENTTEACHING

STUDENTTEACHING Rookie

Apr 12, 2006

Marzano's question stems????? NEVER heard of those, but i will definitely have to research them! Thanks for that. What county are you in? Is it near Ashboro? Thanks for the help about the literacy. I'm definitely printing these out to look at them later on. Thanks again!

16. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Apr 12, 2006

I'm in Cumberland County. It looks like Ashboro is over one, and up two counties from me. If you go to my county's website at www.ccs.k12.nc.us, click on departments at the top, click on "elementary education", then click on "resources" on the side of that screen and scroll down a tad, there is something called Bookmarks that has the question stems on it. You can print it out from there. :)

17. STUDENTTEACHING

STUDENTTEACHING Rookie

Apr 12, 2006

Wow you are great thanks! I'll know so much by the time I go there if I continue to research. Thanks to you and the great people on this site, I am saving thousands of dollars by not going for my Master's, at least not here anyway. Maybe after I move later on I'll go for it, but it seems like I should go for the board certification before anything else. Thanks again!
    Shaun

18. Julie

Julie Rookie

Apr 17, 2006

I also teach in NC. I love teaching here. Wake County (Raleigh) is always hiring - it is a booming area and they open a couple of new schools per year. WAke, like Charlotte also has a large supplement that pays monthly. I no longer work in Wake County :( but moved elsewhere in the state. My county also has 9 week assessments just so you can see where your kids are but then we have the Big EOG test. 3rd grade is a gateway year and if they don't pass they have 2 chances to retake it and if they don't they fail (but due to circumstances with each child that decision is left up to the principal.)

19. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Apr 17, 2006

What county are you in now? I'm in Cumberland County.

20. Julie

Julie Rookie

Apr 18, 2006

I'm in Craven County

21. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Apr 18, 2006

I teach in Charlotte. They are having a job fair this staurday for all areas (elem and sec). CMS hired a new Superintend I hope he's a good one. The CMS district is ok. They definitely give signing bonuses for signing with trouble area schools.

22. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Apr 18, 2006

StudentTeaching I am from NY as well. I've been down here 1 year. I lived on LI too. The students tease me on my NY accent. They know I am not from down here. :)
    Also Charlotte will pay for you to get your masters

23. STUDENTTEACHING

STUDENTTEACHING Rookie

Apr 25, 2006

Thanks for the info! Yeah I can't wait to be ribbed by every student and teacher down there for talking with a Long Island accent. Are you near Asheboro? I'm not moving for a year or two. Do you like it better there than LI? Where on LI are you from? I live in Farmingville.

What grade do you teach? Overall, how is the teaching experience down there. I'm student teaching now and having a fairly good experience, I wish I had been with better teachers though, that really put a damper on things. I can't wait to get through it and be done. Six more days left. I can't wait I'm so done with dealing with people's sarcasm, comments, and attitudes. It begins to make you wonder if you are going into the right field.

Thanks again for your reply.
    Shaun

24. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Apr 25, 2006

I am heading down to the Gaston Co. job fair myself this week. While I am at the fair, I'm sending my mom on a cruise through to check out what its like by Lake Norman (Burke, Mooresville, Iredell etc), and on teh way home we will check out the areas of Wake Ocunty, Winston-Salem, up thataway.