This New Teacher Needs Help!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Aug 6, 2013.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Aug 6, 2013

I have just leveled all my books for my first grade classroom and I have found out that I have nothing for the levels: A, B, and C. I also have very little for D, E, F, and H. My question is how many books (rough estimate) do you have per level. Also, what is your best advice on where to get more books- garage sales and Amazon?? I am just very stressed about this since I hardly have any money
    Sincerely,
    Stressed Teacher

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2013

Well what grade do you teach? How many students do you have on those levels? That would all determine how many books you need on each level. I tend to have more on the lower levels because the kids read the books so much more quickly. But at the same time, they usually move through the levels more quickly.

A great place to get cheap books is library sales. I get a bag filled of lower level books for a few dollars in a great condition. Scholastic sells packs of the lower levels- if you do the book orders with your class and save up so bonus points you could get them for free.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

Dear Stressed,
    If money is an issue, just get the school library to check out 30 or so books of the correct levels. That will give you time to determine exactly what you need, and it doesn't cost a cent. Don't, however, let the books go home with kids or you will end up paying for some of them.

Good luck!

5. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 6, 2013

I use garage sales but also tell your friends you are building a class library maybe that can donate the books their kids have out grown. Maybe a church or local women's group would help.

Scholastic is great for this. I send book club forms home the first couple of days and give an incentive if they order from the first flyer because you get such good bonus points to order whatever books you want/ need.

6. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Aug 6, 2013

Thanks for some great advice. I will be teaching first grade. I do not have my class list yet so I do not know what levels they are at...

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

I'd look into getting a reading a to z subscription.

www.readinga-z.com

You can print leveled books.

Also, have you asked around at school to see if anyone has any "extras" laying around? At my school we have a closet full of extra curriculum items, including leveled books from old and current reading programs.

8. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 6, 2013

Many books commonly found in stores aren't at the lower levels, like A-D. I had a very hard time finding them, and books that I did find that claimed to be those levels were not. I found a handful of E, and more F, G, H than I realized.

For A-D, if you have students at that level, try Pioneer Press or Scholastic's Guided Reading sets.

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 6, 2013

:yeahthat:

THIS!! It's very hard to find books at the low levels, but Reading A to Z has a TON that you can print! The subscription is $90. I went for it a couple weeks ago, and it was worth every penny.

You can also use the Scholastic website to search by level. This will guide you towards books that are lower levels. I got some money from adoptaclassroom.org that I used to order lower level easy readers.

Costco often has packages of Bob books for not very much - those are low levels and might be helpful.