This might be nothing but...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jlyn07, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

I have been losing weight. Great, considering I am overweight and need to lose about 60lbs. But, I haven't been trying at all. At first I just assumed it was because I left a job where I had to eat with the kids for breakfast and lunch so I was eating less. Plus, I haven't been eating out as much because I haven't had the money.

But then this week I stepped on the scale and weigh 4lbs. less than I did last week. The funny thing is that I ate out A LOT last week (McDonald's, Taco Bell and Burger King - it was a bad, stressful week!) so how in the world did I lose 4 lbs.?

I weighed myself yesterday as well (cause now I'm obsessed with doing so since the number keeps going down) and I was down 2 more lbs. since Thursday. This brings me to have losing 25lbs. in the last two months. I haven't been exercising at all either.

I'm ecstatic to be losing weight but now I'm worried that something could be wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

Could be a change in your schedule/eating habits, but I would still check with your doctor. ;)

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

If you have unexplained weight loss which continues please see your doctor and have your blood sugar checked. It can be an early sign of diabetes. Have you been more hungry or thirsty than usual? Any tingling in your feet or hands?

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

Think about this ... it take a deficit of 3000 calories to lose a pound. Let's say 5 pounds is fluctuating water weight so you've lost 20 pounds in 8 weeks ... that's 10 pounds in 4 weeks ... that's 2.5 pounds per week.

So if you've cut out about 7500 calories a week or about 1000 calories a day ... the weight loss is easy to explain!

Eating out can have a few thousand calories in just one meal and the lunches and breakfasts you were eating can pack on the calories, too.

p.s. I lost about 40 pounds with no added exercise - just cutting calories.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2009

Hmm, well if you haven't made any changes to lose weight w/ your eating habits or exercise level, I'd see a doctor soon if you continue to lose.

Have you noticed any other physical symptoms lately since you've started losing weight? Note these things on your calendar, so if you need to go to a doctor, you have a timeline.

Hope all is OK.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

I bet your clothes are showing it.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 23, 2009

I think you should see your doctor. It could be a sign of many things, but, if it isn't, at least your mind will be set at ease.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

I agree with Daisy.

Talk to your doctor. It may just be a change in your routine, but it could be something else. Ask him to check your bloodwork.

10. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

My clothes have been looser which kinda stinks right now cause I have no money to buy new ones!

I haven't really been having any other symptoms other than being tired all the time (but I have been waking up several times a night with weird dreams lately).

Ok, this may be *TMI*

I have been having a lot of diarrhea lately, almost all BM's are loose. This is something that happens when I'm stressed though so I haven't really thought much about it.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping everyone would tell me it was nothing and not to worry but I think I will make an appointment to see my doctor, just to be sure.

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

Yes, along with the diarrhea and waking up at night (could be night sweats waking you), you do need to talk to the doctor.

It could easily be explained by the change in eating habits which have caused a calorie loss. Go get checked out. Probably just a benefit to not eating out so much! Then we can all shout hooray for you!

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2009

It's probably just a side effect of stress, but going to the doctor is probably a good idea.

13. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Years ago my MIL went through a period of great stress and lost about 40 pounds without doing anything. Since she didn't have 40 pounds to lose she had to take drastic measures to put the weight back on - cream on her cereal, dessert after every meal. It took her about a year to put it back on.

I wish I could lose weight through stress - I eat my way through.

Try and manage your stress and make sure you eat well.

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

Not to scare you, but my mom was first diagnosed with a very serious illness just based on unexplained weight loss. No ther symptoms....but once they investigated further, the disease was found. See a dr.
    Kim

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

There came a time around last year that I lost 36 pounds. Turns out my thyroid was acting up. Sadly, lol, that trend stopped, but it did get my thyroid problem taken care of.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 24, 2009

I think a doctor visit would be a good idea too. It might just be from a change in habits, but only a doctor can rule out diabetes, thyroid problems or anything else.

17. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Aug 24, 2009

My husband lost 60 lbs in about 3 months, he started shaking like a person with mild Parkensons, loose bowels, very tired and lethargic. He went in for a physical and they found a growth on his thyroid and that he thyroid was in hyperdrive. The excess thyroid hormone caused the sudden weight loss as well as all his other issues. Go see your doctor and ask for a thyroid level blood test. It is an easy test and results are quick and treating thyroid issues are relatively simple.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2009

How is it that my thyroid is coming out and I haven't lost an ounce all summer???? In fact, if anything, I've gained a pound or two:eek:

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2009

Jlyn~I would definitely see a doctor. There are times when I have loose bowels like that and lose weight, more weight because I don't eat alot b/c I don't want the loose bowels.

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 24, 2009

It's just wise to have yearly check ups even when you think you're healthy.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2009

Amen to that!

22. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Aug 24, 2009

I'd definitely go to the doctor. Better safe than sorry.