This might be a stupid question but....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jpablot, Jul 30, 2013.

1. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

What do you use to hang stuff up in your classroom? Like the calendar on a bulletin board or your alphabet strip? Do you use sticky tac, push pins/thumbtacks, tape, or what? I don't wanna ruin any of the stuff so what would be my best bet?

3. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 30, 2013

If you are allowed to use hot glue on the walls. For the bulletin board I would just use small tacks. My P tells us this "off the record."

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

I used ticky-tack this year and it was a miserable failure-perhaps due to the cinderblock walls. Another teacher had a great idea I'm going to try this year. He used those velcro strips and when he had to take everything off the walls for summer, he just left the velcro strips up, which blended into the walls.

5. Crono91

Crono91 Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

Okay, I KNEW someone was going to suggest Sticky-Tack. When I was in elementary school (I'm in college now), the class went on 007 missions to take half the sticky tack from behind posters when the teacher wasn't looking. And we would just play with it!

Fun for the kids; can't imagine how fun that was for the teacher. :sorry:

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

Command strips. Only Command Strips. I'm obsessed.

You can cut the strips into small pieces for smaller jobs.

7. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

Do they ruin the back of whatever you hang up?

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

I imagine if it was just paper they would. But if it's laminated, not at all. Just remove by pulling at about a forty-five degree angle. Then again, I don't use it for things I want to temporarily hang. Wood, metal, plastic...it hasn't ever damaged anything. And it works! Through heat, too, which is a big one.

9. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

YES! I ruined ALL of my posters this year because I'm an IDIOT and I tried these when my ticky-tack failed and didn't realize the other teachers were using them on laminated posters only. I was so angry..... 12 huge posters destroyed. LFMF. :mad:

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2013

Technically, we're only allowed to use school-provided 3M tape. Which doesn't stick to the walls because everything is so humid. I used an illegal cool-temp hot glue gun because I got tired of coming in every Monday and seeing all of my posters on the ground. Worked nicely, held everything up, did not damage the walls.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

Mauvelous tape is great!

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2013

I ADORE Command Strips! I even use them for posters (I laminate them first). I also use them (or rather, the little clear Command clips) to hang student work on our lockers! They work fantastically!

13. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

3-M Wall Mounting Tabs. I use them on everything. They stick well, and they release.

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2013

Hot glue :)

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2013

I use hot glue and Mavelous tape, but only on laminated posters or where I've put a strip of packing tape to protect the back when removing.

16. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 31, 2013

HOT GLUE!!!! :wub: I use it on my brick walls and to hold my name tags to tables. The last three years I haven't had brick walls and I had to go out and buy 3M brand packing tape to get stuff to stay on the walls. I get my brick back this year and can't wait.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2013

I use all different things.

On bulletin boards: staples, push pins, and tacks (it depends on what it is, and if I want to be able to remove it frequently for lessons)

On the cinder-block walls: mainly Stikki Wax, but I will sometimes use masking tape

18. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I use staples in my bulletin boards and hot glue on everything else. As long as the hot glue is LOW TEMP it most likely won't damage your surface or paint. I even laminate the student's desk tags and hot glue them to the desks. They don't stick near as long, but by the time they pull them off I know who sits there anyway. I am usually too lazy/busy to glue them back on so when they fall off I send them home. It beats the sticky residue the tape leaves.