This may be taboo, but...

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by Kate Change, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 12, 2010

some friends of ours in Florida are having their highschool kids do a year of school on-line while they travel on sabbatical. My brother did some of his highschool on line and I was wondering how people go about becoming that type of teacher. I don't know as much about the florida program, but my brother's teacher IM'd, e-mailed and sent additional assignments to help cover his weakness and helped him come up with projects to challenge his strengths. My husband keeps getting transferred at work and I am tired of living so far from him, but afraid to move without a job in this economy. Does anyone know anything about this type of position?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2010

Florida has online education for K-12 students. It is considered part of the public school system, so it is free for the students. They have an online application to work as a teacher and it is pretty much just like the application for brick and mortar schools. You have to be certified and have teaching experience, references, etc.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2010

I know that we have an AtoZ teacher who is an online teacher.

5. chasingcomets

chasingcomets Rookie

Oct 13, 2010

I just started a job as an online teacher.

There are many online schools and some of them advertise through sites such as monster.com or careerbuilder.com. Or you can do a Google search for online high schools and search their sites for hiring information.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 13, 2010

Online teaching is hardly taboo, at least in my estimation. I'm in my third year of teaching online and cannot imagine going back to a more traditional setting (and not just because I can teach in my PJs). Florida Virtual Academy is a well-known charter school, so I'd start by checking their web site.

Chasingcomets, how's your school year so far? Mine has been amazing with an occasion heartbreaking moment (these kids really need me to be there for them).

7. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 17, 2010

Thank you so much for your posts! I think I might look at this for next year! I hope I didn't offend anyone with this the word "taboo". When my brother was taking on line classes our school district threatened to kick him out and caused a serious scene. I really don't think he would have finished high school with out the flexibility offered. He's very smart, but he really needed to be able to focus on one task at a time and changing subjects all day was too much for him. (He's getting an MA now, so it all worked out.)

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 20, 2010

Does anyone know what the salary scale is for online teachers? Or how to find out?

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 20, 2010

Wow, that probably varies! The good news is that I've found it's higher than comparable charter schools due to lower overhead (no building / busing / school lunch expenses = more money to spend elsewhere). My salary as a third year teacher is about that of a first year teacher elsewhere, but another charter school with whom I interviewed had the same position for $7K LESS than what I made my first year. In addition, there are the perks of lower fuel / clothing costs.