This Madness Has Got to Stop!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherman1, Feb 11, 2014.

1. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 11, 2014

Ethan Rediske's mom sent an e-mail Tuesday to Orange County School Board member Rick Roach and to Scott Maxwell, who has movingly written about *Ethan and similar cases for the Orlando Sentinel, that the state is requiring her to prove that her son still can’t take another standardized test and can therefore keep his waiver. The e-mail says:

Rick and Scott,

I’m writing to appeal for your advocacy on our behalf. Ethan is dying. He has been in hospice care for the past month. We are in the last days of his life. His loving and dedicated teacher, Jennifer Rose has been visiting him every day, bringing some love, peace, and light into these last days. How do we know that he knows that she is there? Because he opens his eyes and gives her a little smile. He is content and comforted after she leaves.

Jennifer is the greatest example of what a dedicated teacher should be. About a week ago, Jennifer hesitantly told me that the district required a medical update for continuation of the med waiver for the adapted FCAT. Apparently, my communication through her that he was in hospice wasn’t enough: they required a letter from the hospice company to say that he was dying. Every day that she comes to visit, she is required to do paperwork to document his “progress.” Seriously? Why is Ethan Rediske not meeting his 6th-grade hospital homebound curriculum requirements? BECAUSE HE IS IN A MORPHINE COMA. We expect him to go any day. He is tenaciously clinging to life.

This madness has got to stop. Please help us.

Thank you,

Andrea Rediske

*Sadly, Ethan passed away on February 7th.....

To read entire story in Washington Post click link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...to-prove-her-son-cant-take-standardized-test/

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 11, 2014

I read about that situation. Really sad that common sense wasn't prevailing. It's even sadder because the reason the parents were fighting so hard is because they knew the teacher would have been the one penalized.

Another story that is almost as bad is the one of Michael, the boy with only a brain stem that the state was trying to make take the stupid test.

4. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Feb 11, 2014

Prayers for Ethan and his family. I am so done with politics! It's a sad state of affairs.

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Feb 11, 2014

Prayers to Ethan's family and others that may be going through similar situations. Prayers also for those that make and/or enforce and back all the many hideous laws of this country as a whole. May God forgive them and may God protect the rest of us. Shame on America for always fighting so hard to take God out of everything, losing sight of right and wrong, etc... Heart breaking. :(

6. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 11, 2014