This lady spends $1 at a time.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, May 14, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 14, 2009

http://www.komonews.com/economy/44730097.html
    It's an interesting idea! I know I feel guilty paying $15 or so for a couple of sandwiches, drink, and chips and the local sandwich places but I look at it as convenience if I'm low on groceries!

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

May 14, 2009

I'm with you--not only is it more convenient, but by the time I bought everything to make the same sandwich I would have spent the same amount and had a mess to clean up. Of course, I'd probably have enough bread, etc for a sandwich the next day--but I know I wouldn't use it and it would just go to waste.

4. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 14, 2009

Since we have gotten no raises, I have been trying to cut back. I (we) do not have a debit card or check card. I do not put more than $5 in my wallet in the morning or carry my charge cards with me. It has stopped me from making all those quick stops on the way home for one little thing and spending $20 on a bunch of extra stuff. It is amazing on how much money I have been able to save by just doing that one little thing.

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 14, 2009

More power to her. We have also cut back and it is amazing what you can live without.
    We had a teacher at our school who bring her bread, meat, cheeses, and condiments and just kept them at school and made her sandwich everyday for lunch. She reminds me of this lady.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 14, 2009

I think it's good to use a cash-only system, but this lady sounds like she's still figuring it out. She doesn't have a set budget, which is the first step to finances. She uses the cash out of her mother's home, but then when it's gone, she just goes to get more. If she did that once a month on a specific day, ok. But it sounds like her mother's house is just an ATM that dispenses 1's. And when she bought that sandwich and was upset at the price, why did she still get it? She says she has control over her spending, so she shouldn't be getting upset about the prices she's paying.

And she said she's only doing this for a while, and then it's back to credit cards. That's not changing a lifestyle, it's modifying it for the moment. Publicity stunt, maybe?