This is stupid!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ValinFW, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Today is the last day of summer school. The kids are required to be here until 12:40 (1st period, 8:30-10:30; 2nd period, 10:40-12:40). Grade cut-off was at 9:00. What am I supposed to do with these people for the next 3 hours!!??:confused:

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2007

I feel your pain!

At the end of the regular year, our grades were due a full SEVEN school days before the end of the year.

4. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

The 5 (of 9) who actually showed up for 1st period today are napping!

5. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

"Let sleeping dogs lie."

6. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

My thoughts exactly! Besides, that gives me more time to work on the first project I'm giving to my classes when school starts.;)

7. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Watch a movie
    play drama games
    play jeopardy
    make art - such as the paper heart warrior

with the paper heart warrior, all you need is a couple of rolls of masking tape, a ream of paper, and a class full of people with nothing to do.

take one sheet and rip it into strips equal to the number of students, then have the students label body parts to make up the warrior: head, left arm, right foot, etc.
    if you dont have enough body parts for strips of paper, add accessories, such as: helmet, sword, shield, etc.

each student chooses a strip out of a hat and them begins to make their body part to human scale. once completed they begin to assemble the paper heart warrior, and draw it in their sketchbooks, or journals.

it eats up time like you wouldn't believe.

have a design tech challenge, where they are given string, tape, a straw, a balloon, and a ruler, to make a airplane the can fly the farthest. award a swag prize for the winner, or winning group.

a simple and fun way to do some more art is to burn a loaf or two of white bread, outdoors by the way, and give each student a slice to scrap away the burnt crumbs to reveal a design in the light brown center. one student was able to scrape out the mona lisa, from their slice. Have a critique at the end and have a burnt slice gallery show.

I'm an art major by the way.

good luck.
    Mr. Skinner :D

8. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Great suggestions! :)