This is so wrong...and I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Sep 27, 2015.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2015

First, yes I am looking for another job, have in interview tueday.

But I have to keep the job I have in the mean time.

So in addition to being prevented from giving the accommodations in the IEP for district tests (for math yes, science and ELA, nope not allowed, and I had to fight to do math)

Now I have all the IEP students, and those that might be referred for IEP testing in one reading class, 4th through 7th grade.

The 7th grader is humiliated. I don't blame him.

The two 5th graders are placed to high in that group....and its chaos and it has only been one day. It is a scripted reading program called Success for All, but still

ITS WRONG......

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't putting that many grade levels in with the SPED teacher for two hours a day bordering on a categorical classroom? I was told by the principal this is how I am to meet their service hours, but I won't be allowed to deviate from the script to work on goals, so no it doesn't really count....not in the way she wants it to. (ie to not take them out of any other class to work on goals, as it is all scripted in the school)

I am so frustrated and sick about being asked to do things that are illegal (ignoring IEP accommodations bugs me) but now this? I am almost to the point of wanting to quit teaching....

Any advice?

3. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 28, 2015

More than a certain percentage of the school day (I want to say 60%) being spent in a self contained classroom with only students with disabilities classifies it as self contained, aka special day class.

I think it is 30% to be considered a resource placement.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2015

I think this is dependent on district and state guidelines. In my district, 15 hours/wk (approximately 46% of the school day) is considered self-contained, and anything below that is considered resource, whether it's 14.75 hours/wk or 1 hour/month.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2015

How do I make the 7th grader work in this class room?

(did the math its 8-9 hours a week...so not self contained but still...)

The kid is humiliated, and I don't blame him.

Class starts in 20 mins and I have exactly half of the materials I need to teach to the script, and was told to wing it.

Yeah, like I have done every single day here because I am told nothing.

I have one kid on my case load I have yet to meet because I have yet to be told when he is in the building or what he looks like so I can check myself!!!!!!

Okay, deep breath....how do I make it so the 7th grader doesn't shut down in a room of 4th graders?

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2015

Here in Texas, self-contained is 50% in a SPED only classroom.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2015

Ability wise, is your 7th grader higher or lower than the other students? When I have older and younger students working together, I make it seem like the older student is simply there to "help" the younger students. I use them as my model and have them explain things to the younger kids or practice with the younger kids. We've done this a couple of times at my school when an older student fit in with a lower grade level ability wise and it's worked out well for us. I always talk with the older student individually and tell them how important it is for them to help me with the younger kids and how helpful they can be. Of course, the 7th grader has to be at least a little higher than the 4th graders to make this work!

8. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 29, 2015

I was referring to federal guidelines

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2015

I did the math, and just the reading class puts him at 22% of the week.....the other time he is in my room would put him close to 30%....so I have to look up the rules in MI, I believe it is close to 30%.

He is higher functioning than all of the other students by quite a bit, but his scores show he is in the middle. I think he just didn't care about the tests and this is the result. He is articulate, can answer questions and defend his answers with quotes from the text and outside sources, and is very mature.

He hates being with the younger students, but for now I have placed him in a group with the older group to see if it helps. At least until I talk to my boss about the number of hours a week he is expected to be in my room versus me providing support in his math class. (mind you between the reading class and his math class I have gone over his service hours a week....the reading class alone does that....and no time to work on goals)

I will let my boss help me figure out the details, while I continue to look for other work.

And, as of yesterday we are on daily schedule 9 of the year.....I expect schedule 11 or 12 by the end of the week. UGH

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 29, 2015

Boy, the spammers are out in full force today...

Anyway, this sounds like a really lousy situation overall. No real advice, but hopefully everything works out, one way or another.

11. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 30, 2015

It's almost a new month, they need to get the google bots to rank their spam sites higher :p

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 30, 2015

When you ask your supervisors/admin about these issues, do you do so by email? If they respond to you in writing then at least you have proof that it is THEM who is forcing you to do these things/not allowing you to do what's right, etc.

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2015

I work for a company that is contracted in to this school. So I tell my boss, my boss confirms with the school and yes, we all know it is the school, not me.

Seems they can't keep a SPED teacher here (gee I wonder why), they thought I would be able to last longer than others, but the school is even less likely to follow the law right now. Some of the admins just don't understand that they are breaking the law.....so that is part of the problem.

I just know i am doing what I can, I document every time I am asked to do anything sketchy and do my best to follow the law within the confines I am given.

As for the 7th grader, turns out his file is wrong, he is not 16 he is 13 (how do you get that wrong) so he is okay to be in the class age wise, now I only have to worry that he is over his service hours being in the class. He has 4-5 in his IEP he is in the reading class 8, which leaves me no time to push into math. My county says going over service hours is as much of a violation as going under and schools will be held in non-compliance if that happens....so we might have to amend the IEP to cover things.

I will let my coordinator make that decision when she comes in later this week to look over things.

UGH, what a mess.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 30, 2015

Just do the best you can. Don't take anything personally. The school should probably be shut down at this point or just totally restaffed!!!!

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2015

I so vote for shut down, but not my call.

At least my employers are working hard to help me find a new job. They want me out of here as badly as I do....but in the mean time I will do my job to the best of my ability, despite the insanity around me.

(example, monday 7/8 math after lunch, tuesday before lunch, today.....no idea, cant find the class....sigh)