This is ridiculous!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Summersoff, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jun 19, 2008

Wow. I NEVER anticipated the job market this fierce! If I would have known that there was this much competition I dont know if I would have entered this field--though i love kids and love to teach.
    1000 applicants for one position and who thinks you out of that 1000 are going to stand out unless you "know" someone? Its just not fair.
    Its almost as if the colleges are manufacturing teachers on an assembly line. I just feel something needs to be done--I just dont know what:confused:
    ahhh, had to get that out, thanks

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

Hugs! And welcome to the club no one wants to be in. I knew it would be competitive, but this is ridiculous.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 19, 2008

I'm sorry you, and our other buddies are having such a hard time. -hugs-

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

It's tough times.

Interesting point you made. If teachers were paid more and it was harder to be a teacher there would be dedicated, more qualified teachers, IMO.

Hang in there!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2008

:hugs: I completely understand where you are coming from. And Mac completely agree with you!

7. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jun 19, 2008

It is totally brutal out there!! I am from Pa where the jobs are super hard to come by and it's very political in most schools. I do like how one particular school district hires teachers--if you sub in the district and you do a good job, your name goes first before anyone elses to the school board. I like that idea. I devoted a lot of time subbing in my DD this year. I will be lucky to get past round two of the interviews. It makes me sick.....and then I come to find out they hired so and so whos related to so and so or they are an alumni of the school..........PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sorry: I am feeling very frustrated now too... and interviews really irk me too!! Anyone can come into an interview and tell you what you want to hear or give you some textbook answer, but does that mean they are going to be a good teacher.:|

Good luck to you. I often wished I never wanted to be a teacher!!

8. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 19, 2008

i agree its out of control how many applicants there are

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 19, 2008

I got a sense of that "knowing somebody" theory today. I called the Admin. Director of the district because my AP told me to call him about open positions. So when I initially asked for him and gave my name and number to the secretary (whom was quite rude up to this point, basically rushing me off the phone) she asked what the nature of my call was and I said "the AP from ABC school recommended that I call Mr. Johnson" and she goes "oooh ok, and what was your last name...ok, and your phone number one more time please"---I just thought to myself...did she even pay ANY attention before I mentioned that I knew the AP of that school...? Apparently not!! So ridiculous!!

10. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Jun 20, 2008

Oh, Rookie,
    I should have read this thread before I posted! I feel the same way! I am so frustrated. I really do wish that I had gotten a degree in ANYTHING else. I didn't even get a masters in ed its TEACHING, so it's useless for further grad school or any other job market. I am really down.

I hope we all get through and get a job. This is my second year now and it will be my last.

Here's to jobs for all of us!!!!!!!:hugs:

11. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

I just wanted to wish everyone good luck and to let you know that I am thinking of you all as the days pass. I feel very fortunate to live in an area where the market it not flooded with teachers. I can only imagine how hard that must be. Good luck and best wishes.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2008

It is ridiculous! That is why I'm going back to school for a science credential in both biology and in earth science.

After I had to resign from my position (long story), I went to two job fairs. Of course, the ones for elementary schools had long, long lines. I started to sweat seeing all of these teachers. Of course, many had just graduated from college, so I had two years of experience over them. But, alas, I didn't hear from the school. They hired someone with a BCLAD, or they hired someone who had connections.

With my science credentials, I'll be able to apply to middle schools, the ones with NO lines at the job fairs. I'll stand out and be considered. And, plus, I LOVE science, so why not.

13. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

well its good to know that theres others out there feeling my pain. I wish i would have taken up nursing (and im a guy) with all of the job openings and not to mention they get paid twice as much and get days off during the week!

14. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 21, 2008

Summersoff, where do you live? What's your teaching area? I ask because we really need men in ECE. Generally, men with the same credentials as women are hired first because there is such a shortage of them. If you're interested at all in the younger grades, we need you desperately!

15. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jun 21, 2008

I agree. In one of the parishes I applied to, it goes by who you know which is ridiculous. I started to major in nursing in college for one year but then switched to education. Now, I'm not so sure that was a smart move even though I know I really want to be a teacher. I don't think i've said this enough since I graduated but it surely is hard to get a job!

16. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

this was the worst year to graduate and try to find a job. i am certified ELA 7-12 and so far there have only been two/three postings in the whole state! Every time i go on an interview i feel like i am being stalked by the same people (see so many familiar faces at interviews) It is a sad state of affairs when you feel like you have won the 20 million dollar jackpot just for getting one interview. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you and please keep yours crossed for me.

17. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

Interview #9999

That's what it feels like anyway. I'm thinking that it's in this order: who you know, how much experience you have, and then age. I know no one, have no experience, and I'm 43. Three strikes right from the get-go. I'd almost rather bomb an interview than be told how impressed they are with me only to never hear anything ever again.

Riddle: How many interviews does it take to land a job?

Answer: No less than 5 because I haven't gotten one yet!

I'm very embarrassed because everyone is asking me if I've gotten a job yet. I am purposely avoiding things like a funeral, a family dinner, a baby shower, and e-mails just to avoid that awful question. It's frustrating and humiliating because I just never thought that it would be this hard.:(

18. ChiTownHopeful

ChiTownHopeful Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

This thread makes me think I should jump at the paraprofessional job I'm interviewing for this Friday if it's offered to me....

After talking with family friend who is a principal down in Florida, I was even more shocked. While I was under the impression that Florida has a great need for teachers, she said she had nearly 400 applicants from all over the country for one job. When opening her new school she said she also was able to fill almost all of her positions internally.

19. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

I'm beginning to think that everyone coming out of college has an education degree. Plus in my situation, I went to a job fair in March and submitted a small packet with all the pertinent information. I sent in applications with the same pertinent information to all the districts represented. One particular district, my preferred one, called me two weeks ago to ask me for my Praxis scores. WTH? I wanted so badly to say you should already have two copies of them by now. I did say that they were enclosed in my job fair packet and the nice lady said that they were in the process of transferring that information into their files. Another thing I wanted to say to her was, "Is that the reason I haven't been getting any calls for interviews?" Funny thing happpened, I got four interviews within two weeks. It really pisses me off to think that they've probably ignored me when talking with schools that were hiring because they couldn't put their hands on my two complete identical sets of information.

20. okntx2002

okntx2002 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

Im sorry everyone is having such a rough time finding a job. This may or may not help but I have found that being a certified special ed teacher, the jobs are plentiful. The down side of that is...nobody wants to hire you to do anything but special ed. I have been trying to find a regular ed job but all Im ever offered is special ed. I don't believe that everyone is cut out to teach special ed but teaching special ed is very rewarding and those kids need great teachers also.

21. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

I almost took on a second degree in special education to make myself more "marketable," but I was told the same thing about being labeled "sped" and having a difficult time finding a job outside of that specialty.

22. okntx2002

okntx2002 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

I think once you're working for a school and you have your foot in the door, it is easier to get a transfer from special ed to regular ed. It becomes difficult when you try applying at different school districts and that's when the "label" follows you.:mad:

23. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2008

I feel incredibly lucky to have had two teaching jobs. When I first started my new job there was a girl on my team that took a maternity leave position. She was incredible. There was a second maternity leave starting as her first one was ending, but she didn't get it, even though the teacher requested her. In this case I think the principal dropped the ball. She has been subbing all year and getting kudos from teachers, but has had no interviews so far. It's not fair!