This is making news over here

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Nov 5, 2013.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 5, 2013

Never seen it before.

4. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Nov 5, 2013

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2013

I've never heard of it before.

But, reading beyond the headline, here's what it says:
    "School leaders say La Vergne High has a split lunch period, half academic intervention to help students who may be struggling in a subject and half lunch; it's been in practice for two years as part of statewide pilot program.

James Evans, spokesman for Rutherford County Schools, said, "They are not segregating them in the traditional sense. If the kids' scores are low in certain areas, they are getting help in that area. If you want to label that segregation, then that's not the correct way to label it."

So it appears to be an extra help program being run during lunch periods. The kids who need the extra help-- the ones with the poor grades-- are seated together so they can get the help, not to embarass them.

I'm still not crazy about it-- I think lunch should be lunch. But it's not about segregation, it's about scores.

Of course, "Segregation" will sell a whole lot more newspapers than a headline about kids getting extra help during lunch or one proclaiming that the school has seen its graduation rates soar in a mere 2 years.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 5, 2013

When you can't really take class time away, you can't take electives away, you can't make kids come early or stay late, what time is there to give students extra help but lunch time.

I think schools can be in a bit of a bind. In wanting students to perform better academically, they often need different or more instruction. Where does that come from? Something has to give. While I also agree requiring them to have split lunch and not get a chance to interact with friends is not a good idea, without robbing time from other classes or changing the length of the school day, I don't see how kids can get extra help.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2013

I just heard about it this morning on the radio. I think it's fine. What I have a problem with is them taking away the honor roll (not sure if it's the same high school or not, came late into the story).

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2013

I've had experience with something similar. I have no problem with separating students at lunch because of behavior. For example, a classroom desginated as a lunch detention room. I also don't have much a problem with having students are didn't complete an assignment sit in a different location to finish it. But students genuinely struggling should still be entitled to a genuine lunch break. If they choose to get help during lunch, awesome. If you extend lunch and require help sessions for struggling students with the extra time, okay.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 5, 2013

We have a similar program. To sensationalize it by calling it segregation and a civil rights issue is silly.

10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

As usual, the media is blowing this out of proportion. If one reads past the sensational headline, the truth, buried near the bottom, is that kids are on different lunch schedules due to some of them receiving interventions.

Now, if these same students fail, the same media will blame the school for allowing that to happen.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 5, 2013

12. physteach

physteach Companion

Nov 5, 2013

breitbart isn't really necessarily reputable.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 5, 2013

That wasn't the only place the story has been reported.

14. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 5, 2013

TOTALLY RIDICULOUS!! How about we do the same with teachers.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do what with teachers? Provide extra help for those who are struggling? Don't we already do that? We have mentors, we have improvement plans, we have observations to help ensure that they're achieving the results they should.

That's what this program attempts to do for kids. Again, if I were Queen of the Universe, there would be a way to do it so that they didn't miss part of their lunch period. But, failing that coronation, I think the school took a very logical, successful approach to a difficult problem.

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2013

Even better idea. Pair up the smart ones with the struggling ones at lunch to give some peer assistance. Count it as community service or give them points to 1. free HS sports tix. 2. Free lunch off campus 3. Discount on a year book etc. Bonus pts for those that have the most success bringing up a grade. Inf fact reward both the helper and helpee. Now you have kids with a new friend possibly and bring different social groups together..........

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

As a "smart one", I always hated the pressure of having to be responsible for teaching my struggling classmates. Maybe I was just a young curmudgeon, but it was not my favorite. I would always prefer to be paired up with people who were willing and able to carry the load alongside me.

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 6, 2013

Me too Caesar. I resented it and felt like I was doing the teachers' jobs.

sometimes I'll group kids together so there is a strong student with a weak student for in-class projects. But sometimes I'll put the weak students together and provide more support to that team.