This is kind of silly but....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by peaches9686, Jul 6, 2010.

1. peaches9686

peaches9686 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I'm concerned that because I was offered and accepted a job 4 weeks ago and haven't signed my contract yet, that it will be offered to someone else. I'm supposed to start on Monday the 12th as an aide for summer school and then I'll be teaching in the fall. I'm just really excited about this job but nervous that something may go wrong.

I guess my question is, is it possible that an employer can offer a job to someone else if I have already accepted the position?

Sorry if this is super silly, but like I said I'm just sitting around worrying.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2010

In my district, new teachers sign their contracts at the beginning of the school like everyone else. Our newly hired teachers do sign a Letter of Intent once they have been approved by our school board.

Does your school board have to approve all new teachers? If so, have you checked the school board mintues to see if you have been approved? I would call the central office/HR and just ask what the process for new hires is and if you could have something in writing that assures you of the position you were hired for.

Good Luck

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 6, 2010

I would send a friendly email to your principal and say how excited you are to be working at Amazing Elementary. Ask her if there are any professional development opportunities that the district offers during the summer that you can take advantage of (most do offer some trainings). You can also mention that you will be working as a para over the next few weeks, but look forward to having your own class. Her letter back to you will be enthusiastic and will set your worries to rest.

5. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 6, 2010

There is nothing silly about making sure your job is still your job. I agree with SCTeachInTX, a friendly email could set your mind at ease.

6. peaches9686

peaches9686 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Thank you for responding! I did send the principal an email. She emailed me back (after hours) and definitely put my mind at ease. She ended the email with "I am really looking forward to you starting and joining our school." She also told me that I will be observing and doing a training on my first day.

I feel so much better! I can finally relax! =)

Thanks again!!

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

Glad to hear it. Good Luck

8. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

You are definitely not silly!!! I remember going through that with one job I accepted. I was living in NC, but getting ready to move to VA. The principal was happy to do a phone interview, and offered me a job the next day. That was May 31st. I finished my school year, we got packed and ready to move, and I made sure to contact the HR office and the principal with my new address and phone number. It was July 1st, and we were settled into our house and still no "official" information about the job. I stayed in touch with the principal, and she ended up starting to worry that there was a problem. Of course, the head of HR who has to make the final approvals was on vacation! He returned to several calls and emails from my principal, and immediately got in touch with me. I guess my paperwork was left with one of his assistants, but got stuck with another teachers, and so she never even saw that she had to call me! So, finally, in mid-July, over 6 weeks after the principal's offer, I officially accepted the position and got my "hiring" letter. I had been so worried that maybe, since the principal had never actually met me in person, that the HR office was not going to let her hire me or something! :) I didn't sign the contract until orientation in late-August.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 7, 2010

I knew that would put your mind at rest. And it was simple to do. :love: