This is just a vent

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Irishdave, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2008

At my school our contract time ends at 2:50 but detention time ends at 3:30
    Part of me just hates that I have to punish myself (Staying to 3:35 or so) in order to punish a rude child. Now if it is a classroom Management problem yes I should stay
    but
    if Johnny just decides to be a south end of a north bound horse :rolleyes: I have to punish myself! :mad:

Here is where a good principal comes in, :whistle: maintaining a climate of respect and not tolerating rude behavior.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

Here's what I LOVE about my school - our AP does dentention. He gets to sit with all the lovely students and sees first hand which students are the royal south end of a north bound horse :)

4. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 28, 2008

I would rather have afterschool detention then our noon recess detention. Right now, students are not fazed by the fact that they have to stay in for recess but if they had to stay afterschool detentions would be much more sucessful! Plus the parents would be equally annoyed that they had to pick up their defiant child, which would make it that much worse!!!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 28, 2008

The last part is the kicker learner. They wouldn't, in time, be fazed by staying after school EXCEPT parents would be inconvenienced and part of the process.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

We recently had to update our detention polices at my high school because so many kids were blowing off detention. When you miss your detention, the next day you have in-school sup. For many kids, that too is not a big deal. So our new AP had the great big ole light bulb moment - what matters the most to high school students??? Car maybe :) Now if students blow off after school detention, the next day they have ISS AND they lose their parking pass for 5 school days :)

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Mar 28, 2008

I'd like to have detention at all. Our school's discipline policy stinks.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2008

What a great idea, INteacher! Your AP is a smart man!!

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2008

I don't think it's unheard of for school districts to approach the DMV and work out some kind of deal whereby driving privileges are attached to behavior in school, unless there are exceptions for dire needs.

And, even if DMV were not amenable, you might be able to get some agreement from parents to let teachers recommend removing driving privileges as punishment.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

The parking pass is their pass to park on campus. They can't park their car on campus which means they would have to take the dreaded bus or have a parent drive them.

I know there are certain situations where schools can take driving priviledges away. I am not sure what the conditions are to be able to do this.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

I know - this is his first year at our school and I love him :wub: He very young and probably in my 15 years one of the best admin's I have worked for.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 28, 2008

One of our punishments is keeping kids during our conference period and not allowing them to go to specials classes - um who is this hurting? I can't get my work done and they don't really understand what they are missing for the most part. I have only done it once, but sometimes the principal "assigns" it to a student who had been in her office (none of my students). She will keep them with her if she is in her office at that time, but it is probably a 50/50 shot.

13. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Apr 5, 2008

We have the same policy of having to administer our own detentions. Ugh. The kids don't take it seriously at all. It's definitely my time that is more wasted- not theirs. And all that time spent chasing them down for double detentions and referrals since they usually blow them off- what a shame. I could have spent that time helping a struggling kid improve in class. What a concept! lol

It would be tremendous if they were held separately from our classrooms and if we could find that bargaining chip that DOES matter to them... love the parking pass thing! My kids can't drive yet so that won't work for us, but I'll try thinking in that vein for a creative idea to suggest. :)

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 5, 2008

Really. This is a big no no here. We are not allowed to keep them from special classes. Our AP will do the recess detention or after school detention (in special cases) if need be. For those that are missing a few minutes because of behavior, they walk the fence and have to watch the other kids playing.