This is it!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Go 4th, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

Well, tomorrow is the first day of school and my first day of teaching on my own. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm scared, excited, nervous, anxious, lost, confused, and just plain wondering what they were thinking hiring ME??? I know it will all be ok, but it is just so overwhelming. For 2 weeks straight, I've had nothing but meeting after meeting with all these wonderful ideas, and how to do this, and how to do that. It is all so great, but geez--it is SO much!! I feel like someone is shooting all the information at me with a machine gun, right into my brain--that's how fast it seems to be coming. :woot:

And of all things, on open house, I forgot to ask parents how the students were going home. :( An obvious thing, but I completely forgot!! I'm so scared I will forget something else equally important. I just feel like my brain is on the spin cycle, going round and round! :help:

So, say a little prayer for the kiddo's in my class. :)

3. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 3, 2008

Good luck! I am sure that you will do a fine job tomorrow. After all, if they are in fourth grade most of them will know how they are getting home. I kind of feel the same way with all the information spinning. My brain is definitely smoking and on overload. I still have a few weeks before I have students yet. Once again, good luck!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 3, 2008

Good luck tomorrow and "try" to get some sleep!:2up:

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2008

I STILL wonder this. And whether or not my P regrets hiring me... I can't help it.

As for not asking how they go home, luckily you teach 4th. They will know how they are going home! And, send them home with a "transportation survey" or some sorts. In my experience, an unusual amount of kids will be car riders on the 1st day.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 3, 2008

I'll say a little prayer for you too! You'll be great. If you are really worried you might forget something, make a list of everything you want to cover during the first day/week. I've been teaching 5th for a number of years, and I still need a list to refer to. Tonight just take some deep breaths and a nice bubble bath (or whatever) and allow yourself to relax and float away. You are going to hit the ground running tomorrow and wont really have another chance to simply chill until the first day of next summer vacation. Really though, you'll be fine. Trust yourself to do a great job, forgive yourself if you forget something, and have a great day!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 3, 2008

Please take the tylenol PM now ;) It will be fine! 4th graders will know how they are getting home and most parents will come in in the morning anyway.

8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

Everyone keeps saying that most will know how they are going home, plus lots of parents walking them in will be able to tell me for sure. I just couldn't believe I forgot something so obvious. We have after school at our school, plus car riders, day care, busses, walkers, etc. I told the P I forgot and she wasn't upset--jsut said that if anyone seemed like they didn't know to send them to the office by lunch time.

I took half of a Tylenol PM to make myself sleep at least a bit. I have been tossing and turning for a week now. :)

9. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Aug 3, 2008

Good Luck!! You will do great! I was in your exact position last year so I know how it feels and I will definitely be the same way this year! :D

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

Break a leg! You will be great~ They hired you for a reason. They think that you will do the best job and that is a great feeling. Let us know how it goes!!!!!

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I always have 1-2 who are not sure how they are getting home. A quick phone call home usually fixes that.

12. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Here's some advice, go to bed!!! You need your sleep because you will probably be exhausted tomorrow from everything! Additionally, relax. You're going to be great and they won't know if you forget something (while teaching, not the going home thing). But seriously, please go to bed. I'm making it mission to go to bed by 10 every night this school year so I am well rested and ready. Good luck!!!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 3, 2008

At my school, the bus riders come in with a sticker on their shirt, parent pick up comes in knowing they likely go home the same way, daycare riders have a sticker, and YMCA students know they'll be back there in the afternoon.

Hopefully your students will do really well. I remember feeling exasperated before the first day I taught. It all turned out being fine. I was blessed with a quiet, respectful class that was great for my first year. Your jitters eventually subside over time (though I am still scared to eternity before my fifth year because all groups of students are different).

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2008

I'm on year 16, and I still fret about making sure I've got all the bases covered . . . and darned if I still don't always miss something.

Take a deep breath and relax. You'll do fine.

15. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 3, 2008

Good Luck tomorrow!

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2008

Good luck, and come back tomorrow and dish the details. :) My first day (I'm first year, too) is in a few weeks!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2008

I ditto what everyone else has said. Good luck tomorrow!

18. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 3, 2008

Good Luck! I am glad I still have a couple of weeks! You will be in my prayers! Have a great tomorrow! And let us know how it goes! :p

19. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Good luck! You'll be fine :) I can't wait till I have my own classroom (when I eventually someday maybe get hired!). Enjoy the first day!!!!

20. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2008

How exciting! (I didn't get to have a "first" first day until my 2nd year since I was hired after the school year started.) I have butterflies in my stomach for you! You will be exhausted and you probably won't have a chance to sit down, but you'll be fine!

Let us know how it goes!

21. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I'm thinking of you this morning! I don't think I've ever been as scared as I was on the first day of my first year of teaching, but the good news is, there will never be another! We'll be waiting to hear how it went!

22. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2008

You are probably already teaching away by now, and usually once you get into it, it just flows! Good luck! I hope once you get the first day out of the way you are not as nervous for the rest of the week!!

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

Best of luck today! You will be fine. Be confident, be strong and stay in control.

:hugs: I'll be you in 3 weeks!

P.S.Teacherc- that is the cutest little puppers!

24. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

Have a wonderful first day! Do you have someone to take a picture of you on your "First day of school"?

25. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I am praying for you but I know you will be perfect! :)

26. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

Sending you good "first day of school" vibes :)

Let us know how your day went

27. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Wishing you nothing but the best today!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes :)

28. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

I am hoping that you are having a great first day!! :)

29. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Hope you had an amazing first day!

30. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

You'll find that everything just seems to fall into place when you have your own classroom. Just remember that your first year is a learning experience and you'll figure out what works or doesn't work for you. Also, be OVER PREPARED for tomorrow to make sure that there is no downtime. When that happens, kids tend to act up and that's when you may become flustered.

31. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

Well--it turned out good. There are some things I need to work on, like I was probably a bit more lenient than I should have been and they were a talkative bunch. I moved the desks around this afternoon, to regroup some of them, so that will help some. I had supplies out the waa-zoo till I could finally put them away this afternoon. All in all it was really good. I've got to make some lists--like for transportation home--and that will help some too.
    I;m definitely going to overprepare for tomorrow and we will start in our books some. This is an interesting group for sure. I'm excited. :)
    Thank you for all the prayers and support! Gosh-it is just so nerve racking waiting!

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2008

I'm glad that today went well. I know that I was so nervous that first day of my first year and that was in kinder! :eek: I thought it was a successful day when I didn't lose one or that everyone still had their hair. :lol:

33. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I'm so excited for you that it went well today. It gives me hope that my first day might not have any disasters! My heart is racing just thinking of it and I still have almost three weeks.

34. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

LOL, exactly! My first day of teaching twos at the summer preschool, I remember judging success by survival rate -- 100% of the two-year-olds in my care survived the day!

35. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

Congratulations on your first day!!!!!!! That is a big hurdle and you DID IT!!!!!!!! :)

36. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

I am so glad to hear things went well. One of my early mentors gave me the advice to be super strict about procedures and rules early on and only ease up a tiny bit here and there as the year went on. The whole "Never smile before Christmas" thing has never worked for me, but it is always much harder to tighten the reigns later in the year once they've experienced more relaxed expectations.

37. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

I am glad your day went well ;)

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2008

I'm glad it went well! Enjoy!

39. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

i am so glad that ur day went great! i hope u have a fantastic year.

40. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

I've never been this tired in my whole life!!!! I am completely wiped out. Even my fingers are tired and hurt! HOLY COW!!! I don't know if I feel like walking to bed, I may just lay my head down on the keyboard!

:)

41. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

:lol: The thing I always think of at the end of day one is, I have to do this 179 more times. The first day is so hyped up that it feels like the end... I don't know maybe I'm just weird! Well that's to be disputed. LOL