This is impossible!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 773 Miles Away, Jun 8, 2009.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

Perhaps it's been just too long of a day.. but I'm hitting a wall when it comes to figuring out my schedule for next year. ANY help would be appreciated!!

We semi-departmentalize and next year I am going to be teaching Math and ELA. My students will go next door for science and social studies while I teach the other class math.

Factoring in times my kids are in specials or in science/social studies.... these are the times they will be infront of me.

Monday and Tuesday
    8:30 - 10:00
    12:50 - 2:00

Wednesday
    8:30 - 9:30
    10:10 - 11:30
    1:30 - 2:00

Thursday and Friday
    8:30 - 10:00
    12:05 - 12:50
    1:30 - 2:00

About 2.75 hours??? Does that not seem ridiculous to you?? Where does the time go??

Based on what I'm doing now, I'm confident that I can get going with instruction as early as 8:35 (attendance done and hw collected included). Mind you I might have to break around 945/10ish each day for snack and bathroom (our principal requires group bathroom trips.... alllllll the way down the other end of the hall... ugh).

Thoughts???

Right now I teach 1.5 hours of math... not sure if that's a possibility for next year... arg.. I wish my school did extended day

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2009

My head also has been spinning trying to work our schedule for next year. I finally came up with one for four teachers and one for three teachers because he doesn't know if we'll have enough students for four.

I had to factor in
    *state requirements for the number of EIP students
    * time requirements for each subject.
    * the directive that he wanted us to departmentalize.
    * the directive to not put only low students in one class,
    middle in another, and high in next. He wants them low-
    middle, middle-high.
    * strong personalities on the team in which one person says
    they would hate teaching the same subject all day and
    another who says if we don't departmentalize, she's moving
    to middle school.

I finally came up with a semi-departmentalized schedule. What a pain.

I used the idea of a "floater" teacher. The one teacher who may not stay with us will be pulling out half the class that has students who need a lot of help. She won't be departmentalized. She'll be "helping" in reading, then math, then writing all morning. The rest of us will be teaching 3 periods of reading, or writing, or math.

Then everyone has to teach Social Studies and Science to their homeroom...a lot of which will be taught through reading and writing.

Blah.

One thing I did manage to do, though, is make the principal work around us for the specials and lunch periods. We're last in the day.

Seems that would help a lot with your scheduling nightmare. Any chance of making the specials move to fit your schedule?

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 9, 2009

Oh now I'm very happy that my school has one person to do all the scheduling--- what a headache! Good luck with meeting all the needs of everybody :)