This is going to sound ignorant.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 1, 2008

What is a dh and dd?!?! People are using those terms on here, and I get confused. Does it mean something like "dear husband" and "dear daughter"? I apologize for my ignorance. :lol:

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 1, 2008

You are right. DH is dear husband, etc. I find it easier to type out the whole words instead of remembering what letters stand for. I'm a fast typist so I usually don't use abbreviations.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 1, 2008

(Chuckles) :lol:

I am not as ignorant as I thought.

Okay, I need to make this post relevant for the general education section- I just received a general education. Do your students ever abbreviate or acronymize (lol- I KNOW that's not a word) words, and you are at a loss for what they mean?

5. forchange

forchange Rookie

Nov 1, 2008

Actually my kids often put a note explaining that LOL means laugh out loud, which a) drives me mad, because at this point they've saved NO time and b)makes me laugh, because they think that at 28 I don't know what LOL and OMG mean. I'm always thinking, "Thanks guys, I use aim, the internet, facebook, and text messaging too."

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 1, 2008

Don't feel bad. It took me a long time to figure these out as well. I still grapple with the new ones that seem to pop up now and then. We can be ignorant together.:lol:

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 1, 2008

I'll be ignorant too. I don't understand why the words can't be typed out. I'd be proud to type out the words dear husband, dear son, or dear daughter. But why dear? Don't were all know that these people are dear to us?

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 1, 2008

I one time saw "ROFLPIMP." Now I know that ROFL is "rolling on the floor laughing" but it took a 7 year old to explain to me that ROFLPIMP meant "rolling on the floor laughing -- peed in my pants!"

I just thought that was icky. But what do I know?

9. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Nov 1, 2008

I bought a poster at Walmart that has a bunch of the text message/instant message shortcuts on it and hung it up in the computer lab. I have had several teachers/parents comment that they need to have one of them, and I have had several students say they don't like it because now we will know what they are saying!

I know that OMG is oh my gosh, but my daughter texted me the other day OMGGG. I found out this is oh my good golly gosh! Crazy!!!

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2008

I thought it was darling husband (or whatever family member). Maybe it doesn't matter. I don't know nor do I use them :) Of course, I'd have to have a husband, daughter, etc.... :lol:

On almost the same page, I hate when I try to use eBay and they have abbreviations and I have no clue what they mean! I used to be good at this stuff and use eBay a lot. Then, I went about 2 years without using it after someone hacked into my account. Now, there are all these abbreviations!!

11. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Nov 1, 2008

eh..sometimes the d before dh can mean something else besides dear, four letter word but this one ends with an n. :eek:

This years class is better but last year I had a group of girls who would intermix chat slang with their writing. We had many a conversation about not using that in conventional writing (and on state assessments!)

12. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Nov 1, 2008

I guess I am ignorant too because I saw smalltowngirl (i think her name is) use DH. So I thought it was their Significant Other's (SO) initials. Until......... BonneB used it also and I am like..."wow what a coincidence, they both have men with the same initials.":lol:

Then I started to think that DH is a code fro something. Thanks for the clarification. :)

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 1, 2008

Okay. I don't feel so bad! I was thinking too, "Of course, they would be dear to me." I like the other usage, the curse ending in n... I am not a person for abbreviating words, though. It just seemed like more than one person on here knew what it was (and used it), and I was in the dark.

14. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Nov 1, 2008

The first time I saw DH, I thought it was for dumb husband. Then when I saw others use it, I figured it out.

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 1, 2008

I do not bother reading posts or blogs or really much of anything written by people who use "dh" and "dd," etc. There is something about those particular abbreviations that just hits me the wrong way. Spell it out, for pete's sake.

ANY cutesy computer codes kind of make me puke, but there is a time and place for everything. I will have to say that a college essay is neither the time nor the place. LOL yourselves, students; you just lost a letter grade for using one of those on your essay! Yes, I am now ROFLMAO. You can't say you weren't warned, though!

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 2, 2008

Guess I am really out of the loop. I don't know any of it except BFF and OMG. I can't even text message on my phone. My 20 year old laughs at me, but I figure, if someone wants to talk to me, they can do it the old fashioned way-orally!!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2008

I do text my kids, but they still laugh because I use punctuation, upper-case letters, and don't use abbreviations (no wonder it takes me so long).

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2008

Ah, I've found my people!!!!

Let's speak and write English, please, people!!!

Codes are for spies and small kids.

19. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Nov 2, 2008

My high schoolers use IM/txt-speak all the time! My co-teacher and I do exercises where we give a piece of writing written in "code" (omg, lol, jk, and other slang) and students have to rewrite it formally (jokingly, we say like a British professor). This is always a fun exercise.

I do not often use abbreviations - and if I do, its only when I text, and only occasionally. I tell my students that such abbreviations are perfectly acceptable when texting and messaging friends, but not in academic writing--just like we alter speech depending on audience; how I speak around friends is different than how I speak around family is different than how I speak in school.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 2, 2008

I have never heard of that one! :lol:

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 2, 2008

Yes, that is the reason I do NOT text!!!!! :rolleyes:

22. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 2, 2008

I used to frequent chat rooms and IRC (way back when...) and you learn to use computer slang very quickly. When you aren't using it, it fades. Things like TTFN and L8R G8R or L8R T8R take on a meaning all their own. And of course the infamous -- such as IMO or IMHO...

KWIM? ;) with my WEG

23. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2008

Does "bf" mean boyfriend or best friend? On another thread it's confusing the heck out of me.

And how come nobody on A2Z uses "BFF?" I know that means "Best Friend Forever." At least that's what one of my first graders told me.

24. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 2, 2008

Usually, bf means boyfriend, and bff means best friend (forever.)

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 2, 2008

KWIM? WEG? HELP?

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2008

KWIM = Know What I Mean

The other no idea?!?

27. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 2, 2008

KWIM --> Know What I Mean?

WEG ---> (said with a) Wicked Evil Grin

28. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Nov 2, 2008

My students were floored when I they found out I knew how 'to speak IM'. I use it alot when texting or typing in yahoo messengar. My mother is like many of you, correct punctuation and capitals at all times. For me, honestly, I neglect using it when I want to be lazy and not think. I've told my students that look at me not understanding how to abbreviate to write their notes in text/IM. Its their notes, I don't want them or will look at them. Its purely for them to study on-why not make it easy to read and understand? JMHO - just my honest opinion. haha.

29. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 2, 2008

My 4th period class can get a little rambunctious sometimes, but it seems to work for them. They are a great group. Anyway, a group of my senior boys were gathered around a computer screen (I have monitoring software and saw they were actually on task) but one of the boys said in a voice way too loud for the classroom, "OMGROFL!" instead of actually saying the words.

It cracked me up. I laughed about it all day!

30. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 2, 2008

I refuse to answer any of my student's emails that include text language. I have told them this and they still get mad when I don't email back. Too bad!

Someone told me dh meant "devoted husband" which I always thought was a little odd. I think dear makes more sense, not that I use either.