This is a GOOD One I need your thoughts

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Tish&Yanira, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Tish&Yanira

Tish&Yanira Rookie

Mar 10, 2014

Okay, preschool teachers I have in my opinion a very interesting question/comment. I teach 4 1/2 to 5 year olds my main objective is to get them ready for the BIG "K" one of my students have been writing his nickname on all of his papers. I spoke with the mother and told her that I think its a good idea for him to start learning how to write his real name. She agreed so recently his father complained about him writing his real name.

For example, lets say this child's real name is Charles but he was taught how to spell Charlie his nickname (parents request when he first started to write) how would you handle this complaint from his parents? As a teacher you know how important it is for this child to write his name correctly especially considering that's one of the requirements to enter the BIG "K".

Your Fellow Teachers
    Dynamic Duo

3. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Mar 10, 2014

How will the child sign official documents as an adult? That was the question I asked the parent who complained about their child having to write their "real" name and not their nickname. It worked for me.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2014

Although I understand what you are saying, I think the child should be allowed to write the name he identifies with and is comfortable being called. I know many preschoolers who don't even know their proper name because they have been called their middle or nickname all their lives.

It sounds like this family identifies with the nickname and wouldn't have thought of it without your suggestion. In our area, he would be allowed to use that name in kindergarten and there is even a place on the registration paperwork for it.

Obviously, he should know his whole first name,but I would start with the nickname. He will be capable of learning both.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2014

How essential is it that he goes by his given name? I go by a shortened version of my given name. My preschool and K teachers never made me write out my whole, long name. They always let me use my nickname.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 10, 2014

I would think he should learn both but be allowed to write whatever name he wants on his papers. Could you have him practice his whole name every so often and then let him write his nickname on his papers. It would make sense if that's what he's being called in class. It would end up being confusing if everyone calls him Charlie day in and day out then have to write Charles. That could be a battle for when he gets older. I would explain to the parents that he would be allowed to write his nickname but NEEDS to know how to write his real name also (is there somewhere that this is written as a requirement so you can show them IN WRITING?). If he learned his nickname then chances are he will be able to learn how to write the other name also. What is their reasoning for him not having to learn how to write his real name? This is just another thing parents will complain about so try a compromise.

7. asha

asha Rookie

Mar 10, 2014

I wonder what the Kindergarden teacher would say about this. My both daughters have very long names, and we call they by their nicknames, I was also teaching them to write their nicknames. They are not inKindergarden yet so I was not even thinking about this. I hope nicknames are ok because they have like ten letters to write:eek:

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 10, 2014

I had one mom that wanted us to call her son "Bubba". I told her I couldn't do that because if I did, I would have to call 3 others "Bubba".

I had mom that called her daughter "Monkey" all of the time. Sorry, not using that name either.

Now, I can understand if they went my Liz or Beth for Elizabeth or Mike, Mikey, Mickey for Michael.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2014

I don't think a variation of his name is going to be an issue in K...Nick for Nicholas, Sue for Susan, Alex for Alexander...heck, I have Korean students who have both a Korean and Amercan name and put their American name on all their school work. I've been a preK and K teacher as well as 2nd and 3rd...more important they know the letters in their name (whatever name they use), develop fine motor skills, and are becoming phonemically aware... I wouldn't draw a line about writing 'given names', especially if the kid isn't known by/doesn't use it in school or social interactions.

10. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Mar 10, 2014

I teach second grade. I would prefer my students to be able to spell correctly the first name they are called and their last name. I can't tell you how many students do not know how to spell their own last name in second grade. Most of them don't know their address or phone number either. I would pick my battles if I were you.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 10, 2014

I think it is fine as long as it is a variation of his name.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2014

I don't think it's the teacher's authority to demand the student writes his or her full legal name.

13. teach1

teach1 Companion

Mar 11, 2014

totally agree. as long as the name isn't "monkey" or "princess" or a nickname along those lines... then I think the parents should be able to choose what name the child writes (Jen or Jennifer, Sam or Samuel).

Even in high school I remember on the first day of school teachers going down the class list specifically asking students if the name they wanted to use was different than their "legal" name.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 11, 2014

For "spelling practice", have the kids write their legal first and last names and for "handwriting practice", the kids can practice their nicknames.

15. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

Mar 11, 2014

I would prefer that my children learn firstly their nickname, because their nickname is shot of their real name. When they learn how to spell their nickname clearly they can taught to add some more letters in their nickname to make it a real name.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 15, 2014

I believe the only name a teacher can require is a legal last name. I have had to help several children legally change their last name.

17. Tish&Yanira

Tish&Yanira Rookie

Mar 17, 2014

Good response

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 17, 2014

Nicknames should be allowed, but not pet names. However, the parents are doing the child a disservice by not encouraging practice with both.

19. Tish&Yanira

Tish&Yanira Rookie

Mar 17, 2014

Thank you all for your advice on this issue We truly appreciate it we will take it all into consideration.