This has to be in the top 10 of worst experiences!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachMathNJ, Aug 1, 2008.

1. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Hi All,

Just have to vent!

So I had an interview set up since Monday for today at 10 a.m. in VA-I live in NJ. I was willing to drive though. So I get up at 4:30 and get ready and leave the house at 5:20. I drive all the way there and pull into a CVS at 8:45 to get something to drink and stretch. I get back in the car and my cell phone rings-it's the asst. principal telling me that they have filled the position and the principal sent me an email. I flipped!! I said I checked it last night at 11 p.m. and before I left and nothing. I then explained that I literally just pulled into VA from NJ and was 5 mins. away from the school! So the asst. principal was good about it, he told me to come by the school and he spoke to me/interviewed me and gave me a bottle of water. I then turned around and drove home :(

I am so sick of these games. Calling people for interviews when they know they are going to hire someone else or not CALLING to cancel an interview-just sending an email-who does that?!! Unprofessional. By the way, she did send an email-at 5:50 which is 30 mins. after I left. I just don't understand why you wouldn't call someone to cancel the interview?!!

AAGGHH!! So in all I officially surrender my white flag and give up. I feel like a moron for driving all the way to VA and still coming up with zip. I did get a call on my way home (which is weird/ironic) from a teacher I subbed for once at my school I student taught at. I gave her my cell in May on a post-it. She called me to tell me she quit and that her position is open and to apply for it-which made me feel good. But then I called my co-op teacher to ask her about how to go about applying and she told me that the principal is back on Mon. from vacation (which I will call for the heck of it) but that she didn't tell me because she didn't think I'd be interested-gee thanks a lot. So I have a feeling the odds are stacked against me on this one. It would be perfect though since it's the school I student taught at and subbed a lot in so I do know the kids and it is 4 mins. from home. But I of course can't have life that easy!! I feel like I have a dark cloud over my head which apparently followed me to VA and back!

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I just had to vent! The only plus side of this day is that I got to see the beautiful sunrise in my rearview mirror-other than that I am ready for this day to end and begin my horrible search for clerical employment :(

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

I know your frustrated, and I'm sorry about your day.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

I'm so sorry about your horrible day! That stinks!!!! Its amazing how rude administrators can be. My fingers are crossed for you that something good happens with the place that you student taught...that's how I got my current job. :hugs:

5. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

:hugs: Sorry you had to drive all the way out there for nothing :(

6. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Thanks Miss W!

7. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Thanks Trinda-the worst part was coming home-no A/C (broken!) and then the check engine light came on by the time I got to Delaware!! Aggh!!

8. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed leigh-it sure would be nice to get the job and not have to spend half the day in the car for it!! :)

I will keep you posted with hopefully good news-it would be nice to catch a break!

9. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I am so sorry to hear about your day! It is amazing how unprofessional some of the schools can be. If they pulled this with you, perhaps it's a good thing...they might be just as lax in other areas as well. "Oh yeah, we forgot to tell you that your paycheck is going to be two weeks late"...LOL

Keep on keepin' on sweetie, something great is in store for you, I know it!!! ;)

10. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Hey TeachMathNJ,
    I have a really good feeling about the new position. I'll bet the teacher you subbed for recommended you to the principal (if she didn't get the chance, ask her to.)And your co-op teacher probably was just making up an excuse because she felt like a jerk for not calling you first.
    I am sorry about the complete lack of respect that these administrators showed you. They don't deserve you.
    But, you did get to see a beautiful sunrise and it does make us all realize how fortunate we are to see each new day. So, all in all, it wasn't a total waste.
    Good luck on getting your perfect job.

11. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Aug 1, 2008

You bring up an excellent point!!

Not that this has to do with anything-but I love the "keep on keepin' on"!! My husband has been dying to use that since he heard it on Swingtown-that TV show. You did get me to smile! Thanks for the support!

12. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Thanks Beth! I hope you are right and that this pans out to something good! I worked full time while going to school full time (except for student teaching of course) and I just feel like I worked my butt off for nothing to get it done in 4 years.

But everyone's replies here help-it's nice to have a place to come where others can understand the frustrations!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2008

I understand how you feel. It feels like I will never be the teacher that lives only a few minutes away from the school.

I agree that that was unprofessional of the admins to do that to you. That job is out there. We just have to be patient!

14. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

I'm sorry, but glad you say a great sunrise!! :) Maybe that is your day brightener for the day and for Monday when you call the principal!! :)

15. seeking2913

seeking2913 Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I'm so sorry for your horrible experience! That's so unprofessional of them! :mad: Keep your chin up though...don't let all this bring you down to the point of giving up! The fact that you're so upset about it all (AND willing to drive all the way to another state for an interview!) tells me that you are truly passionate about teaching! Maybe this new lead will work out, and if not, then there's something better for you out there. :hugs:

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2008

Sorry about your bad day, Teach. Get a positive attitude this weekend. Go to the shore, put your toes in the sand. Get some sun. Paint your nails. Have a grown-up drink with an umbrella in it. Do a facial on yourself at home. Put on your happy face and drive yourself over to that school on Monday and GET THAT JOB. ;)

17. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 1, 2008

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that happened to you. Good luck with the newly opened position.

18. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2008

I'm so sorry that this principal was so insensitive! That is awful. He saw where you lived on your resume and just didn't think!!! ARGH!!! I hope your weekend is a good one... you deserve it!

19. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 1, 2008

It must be one of those days. I had two interviews scheduled for this morning and was up all last night -from about 2am on - with stomach-flu-like symptoms. Out of the blue. I had to cancel the interviews.

Good news: I've heard back from one school and have rescheduled the interview for Monday. Bad news: The other school... nothin'.

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

Travel Report

To: District That Knows Where to Go and How to Get There

Re: Expense Report

Date: August 1, 2008

Mileage from my house to your School, and back home.

.45 @ 457 miles $206.65

Cell phone charges for telling me you hired someone.

.40 daytime minutes @ 20 minutes $8.00

Snack and water for trip from CVS $5.00

Thank you in advance for our meeting, and your payment.

$219.65

21. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

and don't forget:
    cost for blowing our minds........priceless

22. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 2, 2008

Sorry to hear that happened to you--- if I hear about any NJ positions (I live in north Jersey) I'll let you know.

23. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 2, 2008

That is so lousy! I am not shocked at these stories anymore, because there are so many of them. I cannot imagine administrators in the business world can get away with such unprofessional behavior; what makes school employees so comfortable with rudeness?

Girl, you have to hold your head up and thank your lucky stars that you did not get a job, move there and find yourself inthe middle of a school year being treated like a donkey!

Something worth your time is coming. Look for bag, it might not be in the box you expect. I am sending good vibes and hugs your way.

24. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

Good luck with the other school! I can't believe that the admin. did that to you, knowing you're from out of state. I'm sending virtual :eek:-slaps their way. Oy... the nerve of some people.

25. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 2, 2008

I had a somewhat similar experience. I traveled (via bus) from Madison to Chicago (and maybe even rented a hotel room). I had scheduled 3 interviews but not being from here had NO CLUE where the schools were in relation to each other. Anyway did 1 interview and was on to the 2nd. Took a train or bus and another bus (it was 5 years ago)- to the second interview, it was really far from the bus stop and I'm walking in my suit in steaming hot weather totally lost. I get to the school and it looks closed. I ring the doorbell and no one answers, finally someone comes out and she is the Summer Clerk- she was like your interview was yesterday (no it wasn't- I have a message that says today)- plus "Oh didn't someone call you- (No, they didn't) - Oh yeah that position was filled last week- they were supposed to call you and tell you (Well, they didn't). At least she felt bad and gave me a ride to the train station. Luckily, I had another interview scheduled, so it wasn't a total waste- but still- anyway I think things happened for a reason. If I got that job, I may have never discovered pre-k and I think my life/job would be very different.

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

This so sucked! Sorry you had to go through all of that. What a waste.

:hugs:

Lemon

27. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

Hope this brings another smile - When I was a cheerleader in Jr High, we had quite a few cheers with "keep on keepin' on" and "keep on truckin'"

I am so sorry you were treated so shabby. As my corporate husband reminds me, prinicpals are NOT trained in business, procedures or business adminstration - there are teachers wearing a different hat :whistle:

28. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

That really, really, really, stinks! If I had known about your search earlier (I'm probably slightly aloof) I would have told my principal because we were trying to hire a middle school math teacher. And they hired someone they really didn't want to hire! Granted, I work in an urban school system which makes it difficult to staff. I'm sending positive thoughts your way, something good has to come after that ordeal!

29. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Aug 2, 2008

Thanks again to all of your for your positive thoughts!!

I will keep on keepin' on! :)

Hopefully, things go good Monday and I will have a teaching job! It sure would be nice!

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2008

TeachMath- Love the new avatar- maybe it's a good omen: Tomorrow you'll be saying HELLO to a new SCHOOL!

31. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 3, 2008

Ugh that's awful!

32. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

I am so sorry to hear about what happened. People are so thoughtless.....and why in the world did the principal send an e-mail so early in the morning??? Why didn't they just call the night before? Anyways....it is a bad situation but u r sooooo lucky u didn't get a job there.....if this is how they treat potential teaching candidates...then how in the world do they run the school??? Good luck with your other interview.