This happens every year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by schoolteacher, Sep 8, 2010.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 8, 2010

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2010

I saw this today too. How unreal! My first thought was "how unprofessional" of the teachers, but after remembering some of the posts from new teachers and their problems dealing personnel depts. I have to wonder if they don't entirely have their acts together. Still, this is incredible!

4. diana

diana Rookie

Sep 8, 2010

While watching the news last night, there was a segment on no-show teachers in Detroit. The number wasn't 171 like in Philly, though. I'm sure some of the absences were legit, but wow. If I could land a teaching job, nothing short of a natural disaster or life-threatening family emergency would stop me from being there on the first day.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2010

That is unacceptable!!! Those teachers should be fired...tenured or not.

6. Ross

Ross Comrade

Sep 8, 2010

I find it incredible that each school administrator did not a complete accounting of all the teachers assigned to each classroom.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2010

Let me guess...

Because of the Jewish holidays this week, my district went back a day earlier than usual-- the kids were in on Tuesday, not Wednesday.

Could this have been an unofficial protest?

I'm curious to see how many of them showed up on Wednesday, apparently "feeling better."

As to those who quit at the last minute, we've said it before: doesn't your word mean anything? If you agree to do a job, I cannot understand how, under normal circumstances, you can simply change your mind. (And, no, I'm not talking about illness or having a spouse get transferred. I'm talking about how the "dream job" pops up and you simply chose to forget you've agreed-- and frequently signed a contract-- to teach elsewhere.)

I'm mystified.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 9, 2010

Poor kids! That's just awful, and who was responsible for the kids who had no teacher? That must have fallen on those who showed up. What a rotten way for a kid to start school.

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 9, 2010

I'm not sure this is a phenomenon here-
    Did they have or show up to inservices last week?
    Though I know there is some odd loophole about retiring and health insurance so principals fill them as "anticipated vacancies."

We spend loads of money getting the kids to school on the first side. Radio, TV and CTA (public transit) campaigns. Usually about 10,000 kids don't show up. Maybe more. Though in the last two years they got creative and any kid who is a no show on the first day gets marked as "lost."

10. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 10, 2010

11. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 10, 2010

I HAD a replacement for me so that I can take on my new job as the math coordinator but she didn't show up on the first day! She didn't respond to any phone calls either. I guess 5th grade scares a lot of people. Who ever gets my class will be really lucky because the kids are awesome and mostly well behaved.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 10, 2010

Thanks for finding that article Schoolteacher. Though it's pretty sad for a kid to have their teacher out on the first day, I did think the article made it seem like there was rampant absenteeism when it was in actually a low percent. And as your article pointed out, many of the absences were for things like jury duty and approved absences. It's not like 200 teachers just didn't show up for no reason. Yes, some of the absences were just plain "no shows" and there shouldn't be any of those, but it wasn't 200 "no shows" for no reason.

Bumble, I bet you're right that 5th grade in Philadelphia scares a whole lot of people. But geez, maybe you shouldn't take the job when offered then! I hope your former kids get a new teacher very soon.

13. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 10, 2010

Teachers are hired as elementary teachers k-6, MY 7-8, HS 9-12, or spec ed. They are not told which grade level they will be teaching. Sometimes they are told the day before school starts. Everyone wants to teach k-2, but are placed in 3rd-6th instead. These grade levels have high turn over rates. IMO it is because of the lack of structure and support from the district.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 10, 2010

Oh, well that seems like a pretty darn silly way to do the hiring and probably results in even more turnover.

15. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 10, 2010

Well they're changing that now, Bumble. They are now required to reveal the grade level of the vacancy. It's in the new contract.

Does this mean you will no longer be in the classroom? And did you say something about not having math credentials? I don't understand how they can hire someone for a math position without math credentials.

No offense to you, as I am sure you will make an excellent math coordinator.

16. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 10, 2010

wow, in most cases when we interview for a position we already know the grade level. It's like this nearly for the entire state I think. I'd hate being blindsided like that because being new, I will certainly approach Kinder differently than I would 6th grade and I need some time to have basics in order.

I don't even apply if it's an unfavorable grade level.
    I do know some excellent veteran teachers here who will not teach above 2nd. It's the testing pressure for many, and the behaviors which will affect the testing scores for others. So I guess that leaves mostly new teachers in high testing grades.

What's gonna happen when the high stakes tests trickle down to kinder-2nd? It's certainly headed that way.

17. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 10, 2010

That's a lot of teachers! Maybe that is saying something about the district/administration then? If it were a handful of teachers then that would be a personal thing on their end but 171???? There's something wrong with that district....

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2010

This is funny to me because I would never ever want to go below 3rd grade, I prefer 4-6th grades. I've taught lower and I never want to go back! Maybe I'm just a little more crazy than those that prefer k-2.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2010

I'll join you in the "crazy camp"--I far prefer older students. Right now, grade 7 and 8 are my favourites.

20. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 11, 2010

I find it to be a pretty even split. There are those who prefer lower, and those who would only go there kicking and screaming. I don't know a single upper grade teacher, who was stuck there and wants to go primary.

21. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 11, 2010

Okay I don't get this either--- how could a teacher DO THAT to their students!?!

My fiance asked me to take a day in October off to spend with his parents who will be visiting us (and meeting my family for the first time)--- I told him "maybe". Then I saw it was going to be one of my busiest days in a cycle and told him straight out "NO WAY". I would love to spend extra time with him and his parents, but sorry I can't do that to 5 classes (that's about 100 students).

22. dovian

dovian Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

Well, relative to the 10,000+ teachers in the SDP it IS a handful. And probably fewer than they've had in years.

Because Philly's hiring system is so screwed up a lot of new teachers don't know if/where they have a job until the end of August, as in Philly you are hired to the DISTRICT but might not know what SCHOOL until then. Some of them get better offers from the suburbs and don't bother to inform Philly. That accounts for a very small number of the no-shows, though. The rest are probably some combination of actual illness, jury duty, some kind of leave (maternity for example) and "we only have two days this week so I'm going to take another week off." That last is unacceptable. But you can't help when you get sick.

23. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Sep 12, 2010

I will no longer be in the classroom. I think the qualifications are up to the administration's discretion. It doesn't matter what the content is, it is the delivery. I'm working on getting those credentials. :)

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2010

How do you feel about not being in the classroom anymore, Bumble? There have been a few consultant and itinerant positions within our school board that have really interested my, but the thought of not having ties to a specific school or group of kids has held me back.