This group just doesn't care

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4evr, May 1, 2013.

1. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

May 1, 2013

Aaargh! Just a vent. I have had a difficult English 12 class all year, and today was it. They have always been talkative and disruptive, and no matter what I have done, it will stop for a day, and then it goes right back to the way it was.

I have one student who comes to class everyday and just sits and does nothing.

I have one student who comes to class everyday, but then on test day, wants to be excused from the test/quiz because he didn't study. He then asks if he fails, can he make it up. When i tell him no, he cops attitude when the young lady who sits next to him, who is 7 1/2 months pregnant and very ill is told she can make it up or retake (and she's been absent for two weeks) and says I'm not fair.

I have one that no matter how many times I move him, write him up, talk to him, discuss, will move next to his friends, because he has to sit there!

i have to collect work personally from each student so that the non-workers don't take their work out of the basket, erase their name and put theirs on it, or copy it word for word.

They blatantly cheat on quizzes in front of me, I give them zeroes, and don't care. I write them up and nothing is done.

Today, I stood in front of the class for 20 minutes waiting for them to stop talking.

These are seniors. My other group is not like this. I gave up on them today, because I just can't do it with them anymore. I know it's terrible, but I just can't. I put their work up for the rest of the year on the board and told them to do it.

Then, I finished their grades and most of the class is failing again because they haven't been doing their classwork. So soon, the phone calls will start--what can you (me the teacher) do to help this child graduate.

$**&$@(^@!*(^&*($()^%(

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 1, 2013

I honestly don't know how to help, but I wish you the best of luck. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. :(

4. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

May 1, 2013

If they fail, it's their own fault, not yours. They (and their parents) have nobody to blame but themselves for that.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 1, 2013

Be proactive with the calls. Get guidance and admin involved. At my school, no matter how much you do throughout the year, once a parent calls in an administrator, we are told to give them "one more chance because we want the child to be successful." No matter if you've done one thing or a million to help the kid.

So get the admin and guidance in for that one more chance on YOUR terms. Then when the kids don't do their part, admin is well aware ahead of time.

Also, ask the administration point blank what they propose happen to the failing kids that are disrupting class when there are no consequences for their behavior. Put the ball in their court, now, before it comes back when you're scrambling at the end of the year.

I'd also send home very stern letters, by mail. They would read something like this: Johnny has a 56 in class. This is due to his poor choices in the classroom. If he does not do XYZ by _____ date, he will not be able to pass the course. This will prevent him from graduating on time.