Third inteview tomorrow morning!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, May 18, 2009.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

Good luck today! Hopefully this lesson is topped off with a job offer!

2. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

Good luck Jem! I know you'll do great!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 20, 2009

Knock 'em dead!

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Thanks, guys. I'm majorly stressing over here. I took a look at the stars lesson I was going to use, and I think it's too advanced. It would be fine if I were teaching an entire unit, but after that comment the director made about my rubric being too advanced, I don't want to risk it. I have about 3 hours to find a new lesson.

I'm thinking back on one that I did at a workshop about flying squirrels, and how their wingspan affected their flying pattern. I'm going to try to look it up right now.

Blech. This isn't that big of a deal, but my head feels like it's going to explode.

ETA: I found a lesson. We're going to compare the digestive systems of a buffalo and a zebra. And then we're going to draw them on the sidewalk outside. I need to shower so I can go buy a hula hoop and some sidewalk chalk....

5. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

I did an inquiry science lesson with different foods and utensils to resemble bird beaks and how the birds beak can show what types of food they eat. I also did one on classification using cereal ..I have worksheets for both

let me know if you want to look at them

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

deedee, I've participated in the bird beak lesson before and it's awesome! Very cool lesson!

7. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

i had a surprise observation for this lesson ..it went GREAT ..i really hope I can do it again , it was so much fun!

8. smalltowngal

May 20, 2009

I hope the lesson was great! How did it go?

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Thanks, everyone. It went well. I feel good about it. We started out learning about the digestive tracts of the buffalo and the zebra, and how they are different. The kids had diagrams to color in, and I drew one large on some butcher paper and colored that one in with them. Then we went outside and drew the digestive tracts for each on the parking lot with sidewalk chalk, stretching the intestines out (48 meters for the buffalo, 20 for the zebra). We put hula hoops over the sections where bacteria breaks down the grass. Then the kids had to run a relay race up and down them. They had to run back and forth three times where the buffalo regurgitates their food. We then talked about the difference in digestion times, and how that affects how much food they need to eat. We came back inside and they wrote 'letters' to me on the back of their diagram papers, explaining in their own words what they learned, and then we held a discussion about how the poo would look different and how burping up C02 is causing global warming.

All in all, a very 'middle school' lesson. Poo, vomiting up food and burping. Excellent.

The director seemed to like it, and had good things to say afterwards. She said that I have a great way with the kids who need a bit of extra help, and that I still bring academic rigor to lessons. That was nice to hear after yesterday. She said they have three candidates in the 'finals', including me, and that she'll be calling with a decision Monday or Tuesday. She's going to work on references this week.

So that's that. Now I can get back to my daily life, with a healthy dose of worrying tossed in. I'm sure it will all be fine either way. And this really has moved extremely fast. I'd just like to know either way.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 20, 2009

When will they let you know?

Glad it's over for you!

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Hopefully Monday or Tuesday. I'll obviously let you guys know as soon as I hear.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 20, 2009

Good luck...I hope its good news next week!!!!! :D

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 20, 2009

It sounds like it went really well, good luck!

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

Poo and burping--definitely a perfect lesson for this age! (Good luck!)

15. smalltowngal

May 20, 2009

Glad to hear it went well! Good luck! Will be praying for good news Monday.

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Super, Jem! Sounds like you pulled everything together and gave a fun, rigorous lesson. You're going to get this job. Hugs!

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Thanks, everyone! I found three other schools to apply to while I wait. It will calm my nerves and help me feel proactive. One of them is a private school I spent a month interviewing at last year for a middle school position (the position open this year is 4th). I even had dinner with the principal, and met him and the team teacher at the school on a Saturday to chat. I got my Camelot job before they made a decision, though, so I pulled out of the process. Maybe I can get another interview for their fourth grade position. It's a great school. We'll see!

18. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 20, 2009

Your lesson sounds great. I'm keeping fingers crossed for you! And that's great that you've found some other places to apply to in the meanwhile. Great idea to keep yourself busy. Although I think you're plenty busy even without a job hunt thrown in!

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

Off topic completely, Jem, how is your name a 'thicker' font than everyone else?

20. smalltowngal

May 20, 2009

cza-I was thinking the same thing..I'm thinking its because she's a paid subscriper.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 20, 2009

I'm thinking it's because I paid to have Sprout's link in my subscription.

22. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 20, 2009

Jem,
    How did you learn that digestive lesson so fast? I am amazed, it would have taken me more than a few hours to feel comfortable with that lesson enough to teach it.

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 20, 2009

I have been blessed/cursed with copious amounts of confidence. I made sure to arrive 15 minutes early, and then memorized my fact sheet. And then I just plowed through it. When one of the kids asked how the size relates to ruminents, we talked about N. American antelopes, and I just took visual cues to get through it-antelopes are small animals with very little fat, but their stomach bulges out on either side and they regurgitate, so they must have the same digestive tract as the buffalo... I guess? And when one of the kids asked what type of bacteria was in the stomach, I said that would be an excellent topic to google tonight...

24. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 21, 2009

Wow, it takes me FOREVER to plan a lesson, that is something I need to work on. Best of luck!

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 21, 2009

I thought the bold print had something to do with being a "friend"...

26. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 21, 2009

Jem, don't forget to send the thank yous and I am happy that your lesson went well. That sounds like a lot of fun and interesting for the students. Again, I can't wait to hear that you have the job.