Third Grade teachers... Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Jul 13, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

So the new P moved me to third. I need help!

I'm glad that I ended the year in 2nd, because I know exactly where they should be!

What I don't know-
    Classroom libraries- still set up in bins? How many picture books do you have? I know I had a few kiddos that were still in picture books at the end of 2nd.

Do you have a carpet?

Calendar time?

I'm sure I'll have more questions- these are the only ones I can remember.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Oh- what do you do the first week? I've only ever started the year with 5th graders. I don't know how much I should push into the academics.

4. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 13, 2013

I push into light academics on the first day. Before doing so, I read a book (Bucket Filler), and talk about rules/procedures. We don't spend the whole day on procedures but instead we talk about them and practice them as we get to them in the natural course of the day. The kids write a paragraph and draw a picture about their summer, and we read some poetry about back to school. Sometimes we have had time to start on our first set of science flashcards that day as well. But yes, they can definitely handle academics on the first day. Since you are in a new school (right?) will the kids all know each other? If they don't, I'd do more icebreaker things the first day.

My classroom library is set up in bins. I have picture books in some of the bins, but none that are "too easy." I try to encourage the students to read chapter books, but some of them still really love the picture books.

I personally don't have a carpet. I have a round small group meeting table that I'd have to give up to get one, and I can't part with it. I have my desks in a big U shape (with no desks in the corners so I can walk inside it as needed).

I don't teach math anymore, so no calendar time for me. My partner teacher does not do a calendar time but she does a few of the components of the Saxon Math morning meeting. Word problem of the day, daily pattern, and daily money to count.

You'll love third!

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2013

When I taught 3rd I had a carpet. Only time I had a carpet or at least a cute one. I still did calendar, we used Saxon Math so I used the Morning Meeting procedures. I don't remember if the calendar was a pattern or not, I know that during that time we did a number pattern & story problem. I don't remember what else.

I had picture books, especially the year that I had a CI student in my class. I also had some really low 3rd graders. My books were in bins.

I've always started with rules & procedures with academics mixed in. I didn't start reading until the 2nd week or 3rd week. I spent that time figuring out where the students were.

Since we were using Saxon math I started it on Day 1. They expect you to.

Good luck! You'll do great!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Good point thirdgradebuzz! They WON'T know each other! I totally hadn't thought of that yet!

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 13, 2013

I don't do a calendar time, but I do have a spiral review math time. When we do an anchor chart lesson, I have the kids sit on the carpet. I have a leveled fiction library and topic divided nonfiction library stored in bins. I practice procedures on the first day, but within a lesson. You really don't have to change too much when moving from second to third in the beginning of the year.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2013

When I taught third grade I had a carpet. They love to be read to, so that's mostly what I used it for. I usually started a book on the first day.

The first day I would do several ice breakers. I made a big puzzle out of posterboard and would put a piece on each student's desk. When they came in, I had them start decorating their puzzle piece with their name and then color it however they wanted. Whenever everyone was done we would go to the carpet and put the puzzle together. After school was over I would tape the puzzle together (from the back), laminate it, and then display it in the classroom. The kids always loved it! I've made a big 3, an apple, star, and I can't remember the last one. You can buy them pre-made, but it was easier to make my own because of the number of students I had. I would always make a few extra pieces (it was a military school and we often got new students the first day). I would put my name on one, the school name, and the school year if I had extras.

I also took them on a tour of the school on the first day. During the tour I took individual pictures and then a group picture. I also went over and practiced a lot of rules and procedures.

A lot of time was also spent on putting away supplies, handing out books, and other things like that.

I know I did more icebreakers, but can't remember the specific ones right now.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Michigan law states that schools cannot begin until Labor Day. Year round and extended year are the only exceptions. We are extended year. We had an open house today and many parents didn't realize that we begin on August 5. So I am wondering if enrollment will increase around Labor Day....

Side note: 197 kid days, 221 teacher days :eek: I'm not sure I'm up to it!

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2013

So when does school get out for the summer? Around here, we start the second week of August, too, but we get out the last week in May (unless we have excessive snow days and have to go into June).

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 13, 2013

I have a very small room, so I will have 2 small rugs - they will be for small group/buddy reading. For read alouds, I either wander between the table groups as I read or use my Elmo. I will be doing calendar math - but an abbreviated form as my "anticipatory set" for math, followed by a daily word problem.

On the first day, students will enter, and go to their desks (assigned) with all of their supplies. While I organize supplies (all communal), students will fill out and decorate "all about me" posters. For the first week, while I will sloooowwwlly bergin introducing academics, I plan to spend the time explicitly teaching, discussing, modeling, having students model (correct and incorrect) behaviors and procedures. We will also set up all of our interactive notebooks. I plan to take individual pics of the kiddos, which I will (1) print on a seating chart for subs, (2) take their faces from and create a bulletin board (Our starting lineup) in which they will all look like New Orleans Saints football players), and keep to go with other pics for an end of the year gift. It will take time to assign text books as well. We will of course tour the school (although 90% of my students will have been at the school since prek), again, modeling and practicing correct line behavior. A few parents will come, but most students will take home my "beginning of the year" packet for mom/dad/gparents. It includes informational forms for them to return to me as well as information about the CCSS, and what our 3rd grade year will be like.

My kiddos will be seated in heterogeneous table groups (made of desks that I zip-tie together).

The academics will consist of reviewing 2nd grade material - we have 2 2nd grade classes, and literally one of them last year did not receive instruction. hardly. at. all.

I hope I haven't rambled on too much.... just thinking as a type, lol!

12. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jul 13, 2013

When I taught third, I had a rug area. I used it to change things up a bit. If they had been in their seats for 20-30 minutes, we moved the next activity to the rug.

I taught them something new the first few minutes of class then pointed out to them they learned something new and this would be how third grade worked: we learn. We're good at learning.

I spent very little time on rules; just covered Safe, Kind, Respectful, then stopped students who were misbehaving and pointed to the rules. "This is third grade, we don't throw pencils. You're probably thinking this is still second grade."

Spent a lot of time on procedures, but the result was that I got all the time back when we had efficient transitions, clean-ups and quiet lines.

You will LOVE third grade. I miss it right now.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Most schools get out after a full week in June. My school will get out June 26th. 197 kid days, 221 teacher days :unsure:

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

You're not rambling at all! When I was told third, I immediately thought of you. I think our populations will be very similar.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 13, 2013

Honestly, I wish my school (entire district) was on a year-round schedule. A couple of schools in the district are (one affluent and one low SES), and they BOTH have much greater retention! We spend so much time making up for what our kids lose over the summer. I've never heard of extended year schools, giraffe, but I can see where they would be beneficial for many, many kids. Some teachers here are militantly against year-round schools, despite the fact that the number of days for students and teachers is exactly the same!

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2013

Definitely use bins. I only use picture books for my teaching. But some of my lower students are still reading those early readers- not all are ready for chapter books in the beginning of the year. But by the end they were almost all reading chapter books, even if it was the beginner ones like Horrible Harry and Junie B. Jones.

Yes to the carpet. All teaching was done on the carpet.

No special calendar time. No real morning meeting (although I guess this can vary from time to time.) All of my students came in capable of reading a calendar and putting the date on their paper so we didn't need to discuss it.

I don't spend more than 1 or 2 days easing them into the school year with little activities before we get started. They did a job application for classroom jobs, we read "Miss Nelson is Missing" and used it to help create rules for the classroom. They wrote personal narratives about their summer vacations. I gave them a tour of the classroom and let them select their first books for their book baggies. You might have to review procedures for a longer period of time before they get them compared to 5th graders. That was the biggest thing I noticed about my move from 4th to 3rd. Even when explicitly taught classroom procedures were a little harder for them to get used to.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Never thought about using that! Thanks!

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

My classrooms have always been carpeted, so I'm not help with the rug question. :)

As for the library, I definitely say use the bins! My library in 3rd looked exactly like my library in 2nd (now) with the exception of a few of the levels I had in baskets in 3rd. I have about half of my library leveled and the rest is in genre baskets.

I did a modified morning meeting (never time for a full one) but no calendar time. My kids always enjoyed doing greetings and activities and having a morning message to read.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Since it is a start-up, my kids will probably vary more in ability than most 3rd graders. This is why I am REALLY happy I taught 2nd last year- I know exactly where they should be!

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

I'm just worried about the pay. I don't know what it is yet. But 221 days, and days are 8-5 with no specials :eek:
    I may die!

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, it's really a good thing. I've taught K, 1, 2, 3, and basic skills in the last 10 years...and at times it drives me crazy that I bounced around so much and then I realize how much I've learned about where my kids are coming from and where they need to go. :) You'll be great!

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

That's a little crazy...no specials? :eek:

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Nope. I was afraid to ask if we have lunch and recess duty. I'm assuming so. I'm worried about peeing!!!!

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2013

That's a lot of days! We have an extended school year, 198 days with students, 207 total work days.

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2013

Wow! Just saw that your days are 8-5 and no Specials! And an extended year. Is the 8-5 your hours or the hours that the kids are there?

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Get to know your teacher neighbor very well ;) My neighbor and I watch each other's class from the hallway when there's an emergency ;)

27. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Kids are 8:30-4. Teachers are 8-5.

We have 10 days before the school year even starts. We have to report on the 22nd.

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

kpa- what day do your kids start?

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Luckily North Carolina has prepared me for crappy teaching conditions ;)

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

But think about how much more progress you can make with your kids and those extra days. :)

31. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2013

We start Aug. 13th. Last day should be the last Friday in June.

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 13, 2013

OMG! That's horrible! How can they do that? In Louisiana, there are legal requirements for the number of PE minutes students must have (ours actually get 45-90 minutes per week, depending upon if they have PE once or twice per week). I thank God for my union now, I guess, because without my planning period, I think I'd kill someone! LOL!

33. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2013

Do you think you will have to teach the specials classes to the kids, or do they just not have them at all? When my school first opened the classroom teachers had to teach them. Each teacher in a grade level chose one (like PE or music) and taught it to all of the classes in the grade level. Then they had less prep to do.

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

The one other teacher that has officially been hired and I were in a classroom together for our open house enrollment today. She called the school and acted as a parent, so she had more information than I did. She said we have access to the gym and music room if we choose to take our class.

35. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 13, 2013

So is this a private or charter school?

36. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Charter

37. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Brand new charter, focused of STEM. It sounds as if we won't really have a literacy program :confused: :dizzy:

I'm still looking for another job....

38. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 13, 2013

You have to have a literacy program! This sounds so sketchy....

Any rate, I had a carpet in 3rd and took it with me to middle school. :lol: I don't teach off the carpet in middle school, but they like to use it as a reading area.

3rd is really great and you will love it. There's a lot of growth!

39. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2013

Literacy will be based on science experiments and non-fiction science related texts.
    Um... nope! We will be reading fiction!! And will be responding to fiction!

40. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2013

My school hasn't had a full literacy program in years. We just pick and choose from various programs and spend an inordinate amount of time coming up with our own curriculum. :whistle:

41. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 14, 2013

OhHhH....that's what she meant. I get you on that. I thought she meant she wouldn't have to be teaching literacy!

Sorry, I have serious summer brain. :eek: