Third Grade Retention

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LouiseB, Oct 14, 2013.

1. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 14, 2013

Curious about retaining third graders who cannot read at that level. I understand that Florida has this in place as well as other states. Thanks for your information

3. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Oct 14, 2013

Curious about...what, in particular?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2013

What level?

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 14, 2013

Ohio has put in place a third grade reading guarantee; don't pass the test, with few exceptions, don't go to fourth grade. I doubt it will last, at least as currently written.

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Oct 14, 2013

Yes, it is a huge pain. I have to put into kiddos' IEPs that they are exempt from retention under the 3rd grade guarantee.

I agree, it won't last in its current form.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 14, 2013

In my version of a perfect world, more students would be retained in K, 1 and 2. By 3rd grade, retention should be limited to major issues. The older a student is, the harder retention will be on them, socially and self-esteem-wise.

Retaining based on a single test should be considered pretty much educational malpractice, particularly if it truly was an aberration for the student.

8. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Oct 14, 2013

My school tends to do it that way, gr3teacher. Most retentions are in 1st or 2nd grade. In the 6 years I've been teaching third, we've never recommended a student for retention. I agree that it does much more good in K-2 when they can improve on the foundational skills and are less mature.

9. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 14, 2013

My state is considering this legislation to retain any 3rd grader who is not reading at grade level.

10. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 14, 2013

What teachers think about it.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 14, 2013

And that's all well and good if there's some reason to think that they will be fully caught up and back on pace in one year, but what happens with the kid who is multiple years behind, or who has a learning disability affecting ability to read... or if they are a slow learner who won't ever make a full year's growth in one year. What happens when they still aren't on grade level at the end of their second year? Or third?

12. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 14, 2013

It sounds like a lot of pressure on third grade teachers. However, being a middle school teacher who has encountered multiple students on a primer/kindergarten level for reading skills, I think that something needs to be done about students who can't read. I just don't know if retention is the right avenue to take.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 14, 2013

Texas used to have such a law and fifth graders had to pass math and reading. They changed it to fifth grade only a while back.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 14, 2013

Take the retention resources and pour them into 2 things:

1. Quality K-2 interventions (small group and one on one)

2. Teacher professional development so kids get high quality instruction the first time around.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2013

As a high school teacher, I'm right there with you. Something needs to be done at the lower grades, although I don't know exactly what that "something" should be. We can't just keep pushing kids onto the next grade even if they can't read. When they get to high school and their graduation depends on passing high-stakes tests, it's a serious issue. Besides that, it's much more difficult to fix problems that a kid has had 5-10 or more years to develop. I think early intervention is better.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 14, 2013

The earlier the intervention is with any reading issue, the better.

At the early years, it is difficult to tell whether or not it is just that the student isn't ready to read yet, or if something more is at play.