Third day in the classroom- The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 19, 2008

The Good- All but one of my boards is up (background and border). I have most of my words up, and I'm feeling so great. Everything looks exactly like it did in my mind. None of my fabric fit the HUGE boards, so I had to use paper. But it looks great. I can't wait to post pictures. I have my Math Mooseum (cow print-that fabric did fit), parent board with a red/white star print and light), the Writing Pad (my word wall, writing cycle and 6 Traits boards with a frog theme), my social studies board, my science board, my morning meeting board (tropical theme), my job board (western theme) and my reading board (Harry Potter theme). Whew! I also brought over and unpacked my THIRD full SUV full of stuff. It's looking good!!

The Bad- Uh.... not much! I'm trying to relax and enjoy my time. I did read the handbook, and it says any item I laminate at the school automatically belongs to them, which kind of ticks me off. I paid $12 for my calendar, and really need it laminated. I don't like that they will then own it. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess.

The Ugly- My desks! They are still covered with all the second grade stuff that was in my cabinets, as the second grade teacher wasn't in today. Hopefully she will clean it all out tomorrow and I can start feeling clean!!

Only three days until pictures....

3. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 19, 2008

Anything you LAMINATE belongs to the school? That IS ridiculous!! Go to Staples. They laminate there - its a bit expensive, but there is NO WAY I would give any of my materials to the school.

4. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

I agree! But, do you think the school's going to remember a calendar, if you choose to leave? How and why would they want to keep track of that? And....don't they have better things to do? Maybe the PTA could fundraise to get you guys some lamination material, so you wouldn't have to give up your belongings. :sorry:

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2008

I think that is a crazy policy, but who I am? Maybe, you can get it laminated at the teacher supplies store or our public library laminates for a small fee.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2008

Do you live near a lakeshore? I think their laminating is cheap...

We have free laminating, thank goodness. It is also not regulated (again thank goodness!)

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 20, 2008

Our local branch college laminates for a mere 25 cents a square foot. It is DIY, but worth it.

8. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

hahahah thats plain crazy.......in my school if the school want it they have to pay for it and they do...I charge everything I don't want to them=)

9. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 20, 2008

I am glad to hear the room is coming along nicely.

The laminator situation would really bother me. It becomes their property? Ridiculous!