Thinkwell.com???

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by willow0505, Oct 25, 2007.

1. willow0505

willow0505 Rookie

Oct 25, 2007

Does anyone know if this a reputable site to teach science courses? Please let me know ASAP because I have to pass the SS CSET by January.
    Thanks

3. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Oct 27, 2007

Thinkwell is a regular college course that you teach yourself without any credit or affiliation to a college. On the CDs are video instruction of the lectures. You see the person teaching and there is a board for explanations and so on. The videos are very professional and engaging. If you buy from the website, you will also receive a code that enables you to have access to the online portion of the course. (You would register as in Independent Learner or Homeschooler.) Here you will have lecture notes, sample problems with solutions, transcripts of the video lessons, a quiz for each section (video lesson), and a test for groups of sections.

My 15-year-old daughter taught herself Calculus with Thinkwell. She challenged the Calculus 1 class at the community college and is now enrolled in Calculus 2 there while finishing her last year of high school.

The videos are such that it is easy to jump to a particular topic that you want to learn about. (The material is presented serially, as in a regular college course, so there may be some knowledge presented in earlier lessons that you need to know if you jump ahead.)

You can get sets rather cheaply on eBay, but most don't have the code for online access. Also note if the course is complete or half (Chemistry I and Chemistry 2 vs. Chemistry w/o a number). It is the same information, but at one time the marketing was such as to have some of the longer courses split in two.

The courses go into much detail and are many hours of instruction. They are full length.

Some college professors have students purchase the program and use it as a supplement to the class instruction.

You can see demos online, as well as the Table of Contents for each course.

I very highly recommend Thinkwell, especially if you rather watch a lecture than read a textbook.

I haven't taken the science CSETs. Thinkwell is probably way more information than you need. You can view the course contents online and compare the topics to those listed on the CSET site to evaluate how well they correlate.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 27, 2007

willow, my recollection is that you passed CSET Social Science in one go without being a social science major. That argues a fairly strong ability to assimilate information and then make sense of it.

But now I'm curious. Why do you need to pass CSET Science by January, particularly?

5. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Oct 27, 2007

My school Uses it!!!

6. willow0505

willow0505 Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

Thank you so much for all the info!

7. willow0505

willow0505 Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

Teacher Groupie,
    I did not pass the social science CSET. I tried, but realized it was not going to benefit me since hiring in that field is not a demand. I did pass the Multiple Subject CSET all in one try. I really want to teach high school and I love both history and Biology. I have to apply for the credential program at CSUS by March 2008 and they like to see the CSET passed before accepting you. I have two tries to pass the CSET Science because I would rather apply to the single subject program. The Multiple Subject is my back up choice. I hope this explains my weird goals:)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 28, 2007

Not that weird, willow, especially if your goal is single subject - something you'd posted made me think you HAD passed CSET Social Science, in which case it might make sense to get your foot in the door with that while still working on CSET Science.

The fact remains that people who pass all subtests in any CSET area in one go have a reasonable set of skills in test taking and in what I suppose one could call "knowing how to learn". If your love of biology got you into any college-level science classes with labs, I'd guess you'll do fine. Do make sure you're up to speed on lab safety, okay?

9. willow0505

willow0505 Rookie

Oct 28, 2007

Thank you for the tip:)