Thinking Private?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by smalltowngal, May 19, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 19, 2008

Okay, I know that it still early, but I want to cover all my bases. So there is a private school within walking distance from my house. It's small, 6 portable buildings, handful of teachers. I don't know about the pay, and there's nothing on their website that says anything about teacher salaries. I'm hesitant about applying there because of the pay. The district here pays teachers with my experience $42,500. Anything less than $38,000 wouldn't be feasible for us. But if public districts don't pan out I need to have a back up plan. So when should I apply to this private school?

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 19, 2008

NOW! :)

I was just hired by a private school. The pay at mine is the same as regular public schools :)

Have they posted positions?

4. smalltowngal

May 19, 2008

Well, they had an ad in the paper. I guess I could email her about any positions. Would you ask about pay?

5. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 19, 2008

You could absolutely email to inquire about information regarding the position, including salary.

6. smalltowngal

May 19, 2008

Dear Ms. Private P,
    I am emailing my interest in positions that you have available for the 2008-2009 school year at Private School. I hold a certification in EC-4 and 4-8 English/Reading/Social Studies. I would like to inquire about information regarding your school, such as typical class size, curriculum, and salary. Thank you for your time and consideration to this email.

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 19, 2008

Also, consider that it's within walking distance -- factor the commute, gas & time when you find out how much it pays. Who knows, you may come out ahead or at least pretty much the same.

8. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 19, 2008

STG, why not include "I am an experience teacher who holds ...."

9. Sheree

Sheree Companion

May 19, 2008

STG,
    I have taught at a private school for awhile now. I'm now going into public (well, waiting for the answer:whistle:). I have gained a lot of experience and my current job is competitive in salary. It might be something worth researching!

10. smalltowngal

May 19, 2008

Dear Ms. Private P,
    I am emailing my interest in positions that you have available for the 2008-2009 school year at Private School. I am an experienced teacher that holds a certification in EC-4 and 4-8 English/Reading/Social Studies. I would like to inquire about information regarding your school, such as typical class size, curriculum, and salary. Thank you for your time and consideration to this email.

Well, all the schools in the district, save one, are 10 minutes from my house so gas and time isn't really a problem. I just don't want to waste my time if its not worth it. I had a friend that applied there, and at the time they paid $18,000.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 19, 2008

If all the school has are 6 portables, it doesn't seem likely that they are rolling in the dough.

I think you should definitely go ahead and send the inquiry email--it can't hurt. But I wouldn't be at all suprised if they didn't pay very well.

12. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 19, 2008

I think that's a great email.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 19, 2008

This is just from hearing throught the grapevine nothing Fact ,but Privite Schools make less than public so I have heard. I am a sub who is in college to get a special education degree. Since I will be teaching special needs kids I know I wouldn't be able to work in privite schools. I love my cities public school system so it will not be any problem to work for them.Plus I will have the advantage of lots of people knowing my name within the system.

14. jw13

jw13 Groupie

May 19, 2008

You are fortunate to have the advantage of having people know your name in your school system. I think many of us love our public school system, and would love to work for them. However, many of us have struggled to find placement in the public school system. Therefore, we must think about including private schools into our options.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 19, 2008

I know it's a stretch, but I've often thought about opening my own private school. That's how a lot of the schools up here in N. California were started-parents or teachers just started them. I thought about trying to track down students from wealthy families that didn't do well in a convention classroom, and run it out of my house. Make it field-trip based, with maybe a max of 12 kids in the class. Tuition out here is crazy, with some school charging as much $20,000. If you promise individualized attention and resources, I could see parents paying for that. Maybe you start with third graders and loop with them to middle school and start over-so just one class a year, unless you have a close friend/teacher you can pull in for another class. That would be $200,000 a year for your school. Make it a non-profit and you're golden. Use all the extra money to purchase amazing supplies, build an addition on your house for the school, etc. Pay yourself $60,000 a year and love your job again! If you want to do low-income, see if you can find grants for the school. In my head, it really doesn't seem that difficult. Kind of like opening a daycare for older students. I'm sure there are a hundred hoops to jump through that I haven't researched, but I can really see me doing that someday. If you keep it small, your school could be amazing and small at the same time.

Just thoughts on private schools and what they could be. It's when the owner is not a teacher that the teachers get paid so little. I really don't think there is any excuse for low salary like that.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 19, 2008

I think its worth a shot stg. I mean the salary could be lousy, but isn't something better than nothing? :) I'm hoping that something works out for you...you deserve it!!! :D

17. smalltowngal

May 19, 2008

leigh-that's my thought exactly. Even 18,000 is more than what I make now. However, I don't really want to do it now and have an interview/offer before the public schools start really hiring this summer. That's my dilemma.

18. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

May 19, 2008

I'd say at least send the email and see where it goes from there. I never planned on teaching at a private school, but that is where I got hired for my first year. I ended up loving the close comminity, more freedom from standards, small class sizes...and I just signed my contract for a second year!! I had just planned on taking the job, getting one year of experience, and then moving on...The salary is signficantly lower than the city schools, but for now I'm willing to make that sacrifice. And like you said...it's more than I was making one year ago!

19. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 20, 2008

If you'd like to get some help with private schools, I used a free service for teachers to get my information sent out to private schools in the areas that I wanted to teach. Just pm me for some info :)

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 20, 2008

18k? geez...

21. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 20, 2008

Don't make pay your priority. Yes, you have to make enough to pay the bills, but think about other things too. Is the school supportive of their teachers? Is there a good discipline policy and is it followed? How is the work environment? Like someone else said, how much will you save on commuting if its that close?

I WANT to teach in a small private school. I loved it when I taught pre-K many years ago. We had discipline rules that were supported by administration, basically great parents (there were a few exceptions of course)and the co-workers were great. I left because of money, and have regretted leaving ever since. Now I'm working on my teaching degree to get back into teaching.

Just my 2cents worth...

22. smalltowngal

May 20, 2008

Well pay has to be my priority! And I am taking into consideration the fact of the commute, and like I stated in an earlier post, all the schools in this district, save one, are within 10 minutes of my house so commuting isn't the problem. I figured it out last night and if the school still pays what my friend said they pay, then BOTH mine and my DH's salaries would equal what I would get by myself if I taught in the public school.

I would love to teach at a private school if the salary was competitive enough.

23. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 20, 2008

I understand what you are saying with trying to find placement so you are trying privite schools. In my area there are no privite schools that have a special needs classroom so I am stuck with public schools. I pray something opens when I graduate.

24. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

Not all private schools are low in pay. I make more teaching at a private school than I would at public schools in my area. I also have huge benefits like a tablet laptop for me and each student in my class. I can attend any professional development at the expense of the school. I also have pretty much everything that I need such as classroom supplies, etc. No money comes out of my pocket.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

yes, that should be first!

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

AMEN to that!

I don't see how everyone else does it! Some folks like buying stuff...it absolutely bothers me! I know I can write it off on taxes, but still...

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 20, 2008

long term goals

one thing you may not have considered smalltown is the fact that private schools don't have to pay into state teacher retirement funds.

For this reason, when you get the dream job someplace that you really like later down the road...your district might get credit for the 2-5 years you spend at this private school.....

but.... the state teacher retirement board probably will not give you pension money, or years credit.

that may not matter right now..but you did say money is a factor..

so, if this is something you want short term...I would still ask about their retirement fund..

because it may turn out to be a long term placement, and you must think about the future...

benefits/sick days/long term disability/retirement...stuff like that.. :unsure:

that is my concern about teaching in child care vs. non-profit agencies and public schools....it is more than the salary...it is the fringe benefits and long term advantages.

28. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

I have similar benefits to the public school teachers in my area. We get 10 sick days per year that can accumulate. Also we can gift each other sick days. In the past, I have given sick days to a teacher that ended up having an emergency surgery and used up all that all of her sick days and to another teacher who ended up on bed rest for the 3rd trimester of her pregnancy. I also have retirement. They give us a percentage of our salary every year and put it into a retirement account. I also have ohter fringe benefits that sometimes do not show like last year when we found out the parent of a student in my class died, we got in a circle and were able to say a prayer not just have a moment of silence. I am pro private school. I attended private school my whole life and so have my children.

29. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 20, 2008

Just a note on benefits--- mine includes a package that is probably even better than what teachers would get in my state as a public school teacher. They're willing to pay for me to get my masters and doctorate degrees, they pay into retirement plans (after the first year), medical insurance is included and I think I just pay $30 (if that) a month, plus alot of other benefits. My Mom read through the list and she felt bummed afterwards and she works in the private sector of business. It just really depends on the school.

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 21, 2008

well put Chem and Bio...

being the pessmistic, unemployed person that I am, I only want smalltown to look before she leaps...