Thinking Outside the Box--Job Hunt (Long)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Apr 10, 2013.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 10, 2013

I just got back from a position overseas. I am looking for something new, uses my skill set but allows me to achieve a better balance in my life than teaching did. I am a little frustrated with the job search. I am finding things I am interested in, but many of those require a long commute. I feel like I am exchanging extra hours I spent planning with drive time. I feel a little bit stuck between wondering if I should take any office job I can get without a commute or something I would enjoy but with a commute. I am also aware that in this economy, I can't afford to be too choosy but at the same time, I don't want to start out just mass applying to everything. I need someone to bounce their thoughts around here.

Here's what I've found so far:

Park Ranger
    Develops and presents a variety of interpretive programs including orientation talks, conducted walks, and demonstrations to a variety of general public audiences or school groups. Initiates or assists with development or revision of interpretive materials, such as brochures, guidebooks, handouts, and exhibits. Operates a variety of audiovisual and other equipment used in connection with interpretive programs. Prepares and conducts on-and-off site environmental education programs for a variety of audiences. Initiates or assists with the creation or revision of environmental education materials. Assists in conducting teacher training and orientation programs. Inventories and maintains stock of environmental education materials, equipment, and supplies.

My Thoughts:
    Fun and interesting
    Lower Pay
    Would likely not have to take my work home
    Position may or may not be actually open
    Probably has shift work
    Location varies, may require a commute

Visitor Services Information Assistant: Forestry Dept.
    Assists in developing specific objectives for interpretive programs and displays, providing input to the annual plan of work. Inventories and prepares reports on the annual volumes of use, trends in public information needs, and public response to existing information output. Makes regular visits to the various public schools and social groups. Makes presentations on subjects such as fire safety, environmental awareness, recreation activities, and litter prevention. Maintains inventory of existing publications for public use. Prepares or assists in the preparation of informational exhibits which include photos, maps, etc. Maintains the Forest video, film, and slide library and audio-visual equipment. Meets visitors and independently replies, either verbally or in writing, to phone and mail inquiries requesting general information about Forest Service activities, programs, and policies. Responds to a variety of questions covering all services that the forest/district may offer. Coordinates forest service presence with local and community special events, including parades, holiday activities, fairs, shows, and celebrations. Monitors local newspapers for articiles related to the Forest Service. Clips and routes articles to the appropriate staffs. Responsible as the forest/district collection officer for the sale of forest maps, passs and product permits. Maintains accurages records of sales to account for monies collected; prepares bill for collections, and transfers funds in a timely and accurate manner to lockbox.

My Thoughts:
    Similar to Park Ranger

Museum Technician
    Presents programs for the public in the museum's galleries.
    Answers questions about Native cultures and customs across the Western Hemisphere and uses personal knowledge and experience to enhance and broaden visitors' understanding and context of the exhibitions. Interacts with museum visitors--primarily children under age 12--by answering questions and assisting with their explorations of the interactive space. Help visitors to use interactive stations and explore handling collections and discovery boxes and provides additional resources to answer visitors' queries.
    Contributes to the design, development and implementation of educational programs including guided tour scripts, workshops, presentations with a focus on Native communities, and gallery/museum activities for adults and children.
    Works closely with the floor lead and center coordinator to maintain the operations of the interactive components of the Activity Center, including working with exhibitions, IT, education, facilities, and other stakeholders. Work included daily start-up and shut-down of media components, stocking and resupply, hygiene and cleaning, and operational integrity of the activities.

My Thoughts
    Fun and interesting
    Learn new stuff
    Decent Pay (though not any higher than teacher pay and added gas)
    Commute
    Shift Work, Probably Weekends

Educational Technician
    Performs support processes for education and training programs such as: determining basic eligibility for students enrolling in training courses, determining replenishment for common supplies and materials, preparing correspondence relating to grants, agreements, and/or contracts, resolves conflicts by researching problems. Receives, reviews, and processes requests for instructional materials. Evaluates and determines the need for and the applicability to the program. Periodically reviews program records to ensure accuracy and completeness. Identifies and resolves problems with conflicting records by contacting appropriate staff and researching problems. Determines appropriate course of action in accordance with established guidelines and procedures. Assures accuracy and completeness of academic records. Reviews and analyzes student needs and provides recommendations. Advises students regarding training course content, prerequisites, eligibility, availability of classes, and other pertinent information.

My Thoughts:
    Lower Pay
    No creative component
    Location not listed (could be closer)

Program Coordinator
    Conduct research regarding potential/prospective sponsors and help develop sponsorship proposals.Attend potential sponsorship meetings with staff members. Draft health related blogs, write fact sheets, newsletter items, help place stories; and help keep the content of the website fresh and engaging. Develop a strategic plan to educate young women (18-25) about heart disease.Research potential partnership opportunities with membership organization to expose more women to heart disease prevention. Provide administrative support, such as filing, expense reimbursements, purchasing supplies, and answering phones (phone volume is low).

My Thoughts:
    Lower Pay
    Long commute (but considering a lot of it is computer based, may be able to talk them into telecommuting a few days a week)
    Not interested in the subject matter
    Like the creative writing, PR portion

Disability and Inclusion Advisor
    Serves as the Corporation's spokesperson and representative regarding inclusion of the disabled in the full range of Corporation programs. Represents the Corporation to internal and external stakeholders, including grantees, other Federal agencies, and the disability community and its organizations. Recommends strategies and policies and monitors implementation in collaboration with program units to increase the number of people with disabilities serving in Corporation programs. The incumbent prepares analyses and information for the purpose of strengthening Corporation programming in disability inclusion. Contributes to the development and implementation of annual plans and budget planning and execution to ensure that program goals and objectives are achieved.
    Establishes and maintains effective relationships with other Federal departments and agencies with an interest in the inclusion of people with disabilities in Federal government grants and projects with the non-profit sector including Corporation grantees and projects, institutions of higher education, state and local education agencies, state service commissions and other stakeholders to further program development and implementation in the area of inclusion.
    Ensures that the unique support needs of programs are met so that projects and programs can effectively include persons with disabilities in their projects. Advocate for inclusive service for persons with disabilities who serve or wish to serve. Pursues innovative approaches to expand inclusion of persons with disabilities in programs and projects.

My Thoughts:
    A bit higher up on the responsibilities for this job. Probably will not have balance in my life. Maybe extra hours of work, especially with a steep learning curve.
    Excellent pay
    Dreaded long commute
    Likely regular business hours most of the time
    Impacts things/advocates on a wide scale which excites me

My resume has also been sent to a non-profit organization that deals with locating and coordinating resources for veterans. I don't have the job description available.

Is any of this even worth it? Would it be better just to take an office job somewhere near my home?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2013

Anyone of these jobs sounds like they could be really interesting! I'm not one for a commute though, so I would either relocate (I did for my current job) or look for something closer to home.

Do you have any colleges near you? Often times they are looking for evening/weekend instructors on a part-time basis.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 10, 2013

My oldest child will be a senior this year. He requested to go back to his old school district when we moved back to the states. My husband had a choice between two jobs and he picked this one because of that request. The location of that school district is not on the side of town that is closest to the bigger city. I pushed the boundary as far as I could.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2013

I would LOVE to be a park ranger except for:

Weekend hours. I feel "over" that part of my life.
    Uniforms. Yikes! I'd have to lose weight, seriously.

:)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2013

Cut...you have unique life experience that you would bring to any job...apply to what seems intriguing and see where those lead...ave faith, you'll end up where you're meant to be!:love:

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 10, 2013

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 10, 2013

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2013

I guess the commute would really depend. How long are you talking one way? And how old is your youngest?

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 10, 2013

An hour
    9 years old

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2013

Have you ever gone through some sort of "evaluation" to see what you are qualified to do........ and what you would like to do?

The two might be very different............. :)

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 11, 2013

Welcome back! Other than the work dilemma, are you glad to be back in the US of A?

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 11, 2013

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 11, 2013

Not really. I miss being over there already. I will adjust soon enough.