Thinking of moving to fl near Disney

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CreativeTeachR, Jun 14, 2014.

1. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jun 14, 2014

My wife and I have been saying we want to move to fl for 7 years! Maybe it's time to take the plunge :blush: I am already certified in FL and am obsessed with Disney :) but I've heard teaching in fl is a nightmare now :huh: moving from ct to fl is a gamble and I've been through hell and back since 2012. We are a lesbian couple and do want to start a family as well. There is so much to consider :( I'm so torn :help: I am interested in teaching pk or k.

3. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 14, 2014

I feel like I am stalking you all over these boards! Haha. I did two internships in college at Disney World in Epcot. My parents bought into the Disney Vacation Club with my Cast Member discount, and I still have friends down there, so I go back at least once a year. I actually just came back from a trip Memorial Day Weekend, and am in the middle of deciding when I want to go this fall for the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival (my favorite time of year down there).

Teaching in Florida is not the greatest, IMHO. The public schools pale in comparison to what you are likely used to in the Northeast. My friends who teach down there teach in mediocre neighborhoods, but they seem to like it. You'd have to look into reciprocity I think. Also keep in mind that school ends earlier in the south, which means that the hiring seasons are a little bit different than they are up north, since the kids return to school in the beginning of August.

It is much cheaper to live in Central Florida than it is to live on Long Island or in CT, however, your salary will be much lower. I really did enjoy living down there at the time, and I do miss it sometimes.

FYI, Central Florida, especially the area around Disney, is extremely gay friendly (a large amount of WDW Cast Members are gay).

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

I live in Central Florida, just retired from teaching, and now I work at Disney.

I would not hesitate. There are abundant teaching jobs and your life style will make no difference.

Salaries will be lower than the northeast, but cost of living is less. There is a tremendous difference in housing costs around here so you will be able to find something in your price range.

There is no tenure here anymore, but as long as you do your job, you will have no trouble. Be prepared to teach to the tests, scores are everything.

I have lots of experience in this area so feel free to pm if you have specific questions. Good luck!

5. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jun 14, 2014

I know the hiring season is weird in FL. They keep building schools though lol my dream would be to live I'm celebration love that neighborhood!!! It's a big decision and it's scary because I've been researching how they have been treating teachers down their lately. :dizzy:

6. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 14, 2014

My cousin works in the Jacksonville area, which I know is a little far from where you want to be. She says it's okay. One thing she does tell me all the time is there's a ton of openings in the entire state. I also know a girl who teaches in Miami, she absolutely adores her school and also says there's a ton of openings in her area too.

So if you're willing to put up with some tougher situations (and I would be if it meant I had gorgeous weather, Disney, and beaches at my fingertips!) then I would imagine it would be pretty easy to find a job!

Good luck! Wish I was in a position to move! I'd be down there in a second! I say go for it!

7. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 15, 2014

My ex boyfriend lives in Celebration. Celebration is nice, but you are paying to live in Celebration. There are so many other nice neighborhoods in the area, you will get far more bang for buck if you live elsewhere.

8. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 15, 2014

Hmmm. Take me with you CreativeTeachR!!!! I have lived in VA all my life and want to be with my family because there aren't very many of us, but I have considered relocation. You guys are making FL sound great!!

9. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jun 15, 2014

Both my wife's family and my family are in Long Island but I honestly don't want to live in 4 seasons anymore and we would be a 3 hour flight away :) my research and applying is all day today! :spitwater:

10. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Jun 15, 2014

I know it's expensive! I will be doing a ton of research that's for sure!! Any other tips please send my way. I know only select towns allow my wife and I to be domestic partners so I have to keep that in mind as well. :dizzy:

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 15, 2014

Buy some humidity proof hair products and sunscreen! Read up on hurricane prep as well.

If Florida is anything like Texas right now, there are probably lots of openings.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2014

So I don't have much to go on, as I've only taught in FL, but here goes.

- like most places, your job conditions are going to depend on your P.
    - You won't get tenure. All teachers in FL hired after 2009 are on annual contracts. I choose to see this as a good thing, meaning that should I ever want to leave my district, there's nothing tying me down.
    - FL is a right-to-work state. You can be let go at the end of the school year, and they do not have to give you a reason.
    - Unions are not strong down here. Teachers can't strike.
    - Hope you like Marzano evaluations! Most of FL is using that one.
    - Salary is much lower here but so is cost of living. Plus: no state taxes!
    - The governor hates teachers and public education but is trying to back pedal all of his budget slashes for the election.
    - Most people in FL aren't going to care about your orientation. Where I live, however, most LGBT teachers are not out with their students.
    - Florida is steamy hot for a lot of months each year. There's a reason it is the land of snowbirds. Please consider how you feel about high humidity, high temps before you move. So many people have only visited in the nicer months and are gobsmacked when April - October happen.
    - BEACH IS AWESOME.
    - Sunscreen will need to be your new best friend. On the other hand, it's so humid you'll never need to use moisturizer ever again. But you will invest in lots of hair products trying to tame your hair.
    - Central FL is awesome, not only because you have so many things right there to do, but then almost everything in N and S FL are only a few hours' drive away!
    - The Bahamas are just a short plane ride away :whistle:

Now, my teaching situation was super rough for a couple of years. This is not indicative of the state as a whole; my district went crazy. They have since come on board and lost most of the crazy, so I'm really happy with where I am now (which is S FL).

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 16, 2014

Heck, I would love to live/work near Disney!! If only it was located in a state that's not so HOT LOL I'm not a heat or beach person but if you don't mind then go for it!