Thinking of moving out of NY

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ST13, Aug 9, 2014.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 9, 2014

Hi, I am currently living in NY and have had no luck with the job search for an elementary position. I've been looking for about 2 years now while I am enrolled in grad school. I am graduating next year and am considering moving out of state if I still find that I have no luck.

Which states/areas are in need of teachers? I know next year things can change but I want to start thinking and researching just invade I do decide to move.

I also want to take safety into consideration considering I would be moving alone. Any cities to be cautious of?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2014

I think Las Vegas consistently has the biggest need. To my knowledge, areas of Texas and Florida are not too difficult to get jobs in. North Carolina has an exodus happening, so the market there has loosened up. Other than that, there are pockets all around that are less competitive.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2014

Giraffe is correct...in Central Florida schools hire year round. You can find reasonable housing and lots of safe areas.

5. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Aug 9, 2014

I definitely agree about North Carolina. Our pay is pretty bad, but you will be able to gain experience to be more competitive. At my HR new hire meeting there were several people from NY.

6. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Aug 9, 2014

I agree ST13! I've been looking for a job in NY for two years as well. I've looked on long island, NYC, and upstate NY. Though I have a teaching job, it's not with the public or even private schools. The pay is pennies compared to what I could be getting in public schools. I've been seriously considering moving out of NY. I just don't know where...maybe south.

7. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 9, 2014

Thanks for the replies!

I am definitely open to many different states but more drawn to nc since I have a friend who just moved down there so I wouldn't be completely alone.

I'm not definitely moving, but after two years of searching and not finding a full time job unless you are willing to work in very bad areas / very bad conditions I am starting to get discouraged and don't want to lose my passion for teaching and gain low self esteem instead. I don't want to settle for any old job, It doesn't have to be perfect of course but I've worked so hard to get here I feel like I deserve a job in something I actually enjoy.

I truthfully don't see the Job market getting any better so I want to consider all my other options and make my decision based on them

8. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 10, 2014

It is a really tough market out here. I was looking for full time work for the last year and was lucky enough to finally land something in NYCDOE (even though I have yet to get any info from HR which makes me a little nervous). Have you tried the private schools in NYC? A friend from grad school landed a job at a private school and it is $10,000 more than I would make in the DOE. Also, my cousin moved to Virginia for a job after looking for over 3 years- my grad school professor said states in the south love NY certifications.

9. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 10, 2014

Oh let me add that my cousins salary is comparable to NY. She always told me if I needed a job to let her know because her district is always looking for people. I can try to find out more info if you'd like.

10. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 11, 2014

I've tried a few private schools around my area. I've been mostly applying to schools on long island honestly . I put in my NYC DOE application twice and havnt gotten any bites. Unfortunately around here I feel like its who you know and not always what you know.

I've heard the same thing about NY certifications which is why I am thinking about finding a job down south. open to different options though! What area of Virginia is your cousin working in?

11. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Aug 11, 2014

My fiance and I were in the same boat about 3 years ago in NY- degrees finished, applications in, no jobs. We moved to NC and taught for two years and just came back up and both landed jobs in Westchester within our first few interviews. When I met with my superintendent in my new district, he commended us on our choice to move to gain experience and he said-and I quote "It was a smart decision to move for experience, unfortunately we have applicants who graduated in 2009 with no experience and they're essentially irrelevant"

That's terrifying but unfortunately the reality of the NY job market. If you're willing to make the move for awhile, I would def go for it. It's kind of a fun adventure : ) Good Luck!

12. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 11, 2014

Wow! That's great! But crazy! ... I've been subbing for two years trying to gain "experience" and as much as I've learned I don't want to be a sub forever which might happen if I don't make a change. I have nothing really holding me back at this point in my life, (I'm only 23) so I think it's kind of now or never

I'm just trying to do my research to figure out where etc

13. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 12, 2014

She works in the area of Ashburn, VA.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

I don't recommend NC because the pay is so bad - I think there are better options. Other states in the area may work better, Florida, Texas, Nevada, parts of Kansas, Colorado, Indiana, West Virginia, and Maine, if you don't mind the travel. Sometimes looking across the state line will give you what you need - doesn't it seem odd that you might not find a job in NY but find that NJ is looking for teachers in your field? That's not always the case, but worth considering. If desperate, reach out to as many states as possible, realizing that you will probably end up paying to take tests like Praxis, and other state teacher exams, so it does help to narrow down the search.

Good luck in your quest.

15. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 13, 2014

I went to grad school in NY and my parents moved to upstate during my second year. When I graduated, I was more than willing to live at home for awhile and save money, but I never once got called to interview for a interview. I moved to CA where I was called to interview about 50 percent of the time as a someone with no experience. However, I can't recommend California schools. I did grow up in Florida and we were always short on teachers and I think there is much more of a culture of respect toward them.

It is a tough decision. I wanted/want to move back, but life takes hold. Now I'm in a relationship and his family is here so I probably will never move back. Also, if you move, you can't complete some credential requirements. For example, I can't renew my ny license this year because I don't have access to their state mandated bullying course.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2014

Now that they have adjusted the pay scale, the bottom of it is not that bad in North Carolina. The top is bad, but if someone is looking for a place to simply gain experience, it is actually a really good choice.

Last I knew, Indiana and Maine were fairly competitive. Only very rural areas of WV are less competitive.

17. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 13, 2014

thanks again for all the great advice! I'm really thinking about it and considering all your input.

I'm definitely strongly considering moving. I think from what I read I am am leaning towards the south rather than out west. Still not 100% sure on what state but NC seems to be the state that is most mentioned on here as far as relocating is concerned.

I'm from long island and used to the proximity of everything..so I would probably want to live in a suburban area. Not so much rural.

Now though as I keep thinking about it more I keep going back and forth, of course I am going to be searching/applying for jobs in this area until I graduate and hoping to get hired. However, to be honest I havn't checked the "bottom of the barrel"... should I be looking for a job where I am just settling on a position just to have a job? or should I really think about what I want in a job and base my search off of that and move if I dont find what I'm looking for?

Is settling for a just okay job the only way to get hired these days? In the past I have been looking for a good job, not necessarily my dream job but I do have limits... for example full time, reasonable commute (with/without traffic), good/safe area, hours (I know teaching isnt 9-3 and you are always working/planning... but I have heard of some charter schools who require you to be there from 7 -5)

Am I being too picky? Or should I move to a less demanding area where I really can find a job with all the requirements I want to a certain extent?

I feel like these days the job market is almost like a shark tank, and you get judged for not taking anything you can get.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2014

You will probably have to give up your wish list or relocate. Sorry :(
    After three hiring seasons, and several jobs, I'm still not in the perfect job. I'm working towards it. I started in a charter that required 10 hour days with no planning- after school was a 2 hour daily meeting. I left for a maternity leave. I subbed. I commuted 90 miles each way after that. I finally have the commute/area that I want, but not the grade level or district. And this is after teaching out of state for 6 years to gain experience.

19. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 13, 2014

Wow! I give you so much props! May I ask what state you're in?

When you left to gain experience out of state did you get the job you were hoping for? Or did you just settle to gain experience?

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2014

I'm from Michigan and I spent 6 years in North Carolina. I applied to hundreds of districts in NC and Florida. I decided I wanted NC because it was more similar to home. I drove down for an interview and a district job fair in June of 2007. In July, I hadn't heard anything and sent out another mass wave of resumes. I got one call for an interview, so I sent out emails saying I was going to be in town. I ended up with 5 interviews scheduled. I was offered the second job on the spot. I really didn't know anything about it. I definitely lucked out because its a great school.
    My job searching criteria was not too complicated. It had to be an hour or less from a major airport. Not too rural. Other than that, things were open. I specialized in early childhood and accepted a 5th grade job. NC has a state mandated salary, so that wasn't a concern.

21. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 13, 2014

Believe it or not your story is so similar to so many other stories I have read/heard. I guess these days you either relocate or just settle.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2014

Only two people that I graduated college with got jobs in the state. Both had relatives in the school system, and one still had to sub a year before getting her job. People went to Arizona, Las Vegas, Florida, Texas, and Virginia. Or they subbed forever and went into a different field eventually. My new district has 5 certified teachers working as paras.

I should add that after my on-the-spot offer, I canceled the rest of my interviews. In August, the district that did the job fair called me like crazy offering me jobs. At least a dozen. Teachers aren't needed as badly there anymore. The market was actually tight for a few years, but in the last 2 years, it has opened back up.

After spending 6 years at the same school, 5.5 of them in the same grade level, this last year was exhausting teaching 3 different grade levels. I'm excited to have some consistency again!

Next year, I will be applying again. I really prefer 2nd/1st grade. My new district actually has three elementary teachers on lay-off. The only reason they even hired was because it is 6th grade (in a K-6 school) and no one on staff was certified math/social studies to replace a retiring teacher. So I will be stuck in 6th for a while. The teacher with top seniority has 24 years, so I don't see any retirements happening to free up other grade levels. So, I will job search again next year. Except I will only apply to two districts. Well, there are two more that I haven't ruled out yet. So maybe 4. They are a bit farther. I'd have a 20ish minute commute. My county has about 20 districts in it, so I would not leave my current district for most of them.